Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2021, 09:17 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Americans don’t bow. It’s just not in our DNA. Bowing to a Buddha statue is never happening. I’ll kick it over first, given all the damage it’s done to humanity.
They bow when visiting the Queen of England. They kneel at church. Americans do many things you dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 10:20 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
same goes for atheists.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:15 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
They bow when visiting the Queen of England. They kneel at church. Americans do many things you dont.
Yeah, If you are not from the states, I beg you. I will bow to your dog if it shows you marc is not represented of the regular American.

But he is half right. Americans will show respect in the other persons country. Americans don't bow to anybody. Its a thing.

I feel, when I go to church to appease my wife, If I don't kneel "to show them I am against Christian privilege" ... then I am as bad as they are. I force myself to kneel in church to show myself there are more important things than me.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:19 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This obsession with caps is most foolish. Just read the text. I hate using the shift key and i am not the best typist. I dont know what phets reasons are but it is not that important.
phet reasons, so i got from his post, is to "stick it too them." that's when its bad. I like you just don't cap it, for no reason really. in fact, I didn't even know it should be capped, I thought it was generic.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:17 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
So I think this thread has run its course perhaps. We have clearly not been supplied with any evidence for karma or reincarnation, can see that it is the usual mystical emo-based fear-based nonsense, and can discard it in the intellectual landfill of absurd human errors. I’m good with that. That was my position before this thread, and have seen nothing to move the needle. Judgment for reality. And reincarnation will pay all court costs.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:35 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
So I think this thread has run its course perhaps. We have clearly not been supplied with any evidence for karma or reincarnation, can see that it is the usual mystical emo-based fear-based nonsense, and can discard it in the intellectual landfill of absurd human errors. I’m good with that. That was my position before this thread, and have seen nothing to move the needle. Judgment for reality. And reincarnation will pay all court costs.
I do not ascribe to reincarnation, but your conclusion about it is just as unfounded as your other intransigent views about issues that have genuinely unresolvable aspects to them. Your vaunted certainty is unsupportable scientifically because we still do not know enough about our Reality to make such overreaching conclusions.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:12 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Yes, that's clear. You see my position as inferior to yours. That's fine. Thanks for telling me.

I didn't take the lowercase 'c" personally. I guessed it was a subtle message of disrespect for all Christians on the forum, not just me. I wasn't certain I knew what it meant, though. I left open the possibility that you might respond by citing some obscure technical rule of grammar that made capitalization optional (seeing as you're a former teacher).

Do I exhibit Christian privilege on this forum? If so, in what way?

Thanks.
First of all, you're wrong once again. It's not disrespect for "all christians on the forum". It's a sign of disrespect for christians who demonstrate christian privilege.

Here's the difference between most christians ("you") and me:

1. I believe the best path for people is to follow the general precepts of Buddhism.
You believe the only right path for people to follow is christianity.

2. I believe there may be only one right "answer", and that the best path is Buddhism; but I acknowledge there might very well be other equally valid paths to follow.
You believe there is only one right path to follow.

3. I do not believe in proselytizing (unless a person asks me to explain)
Christians (and I believe you) believe in proselytizing to one degree or another.

4. I look at the NT and see some valid teachings.
You look only at the bible as being a valid source for morality.

5. You believe in a theistic god only.
I believe there is either no god or a deistic god.

That's christian privilege, and it varies in degree from one christian to another.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Buddhists have no rational claim to superiority over Christians or anyone else. They commit the same crime: irrational nonsensical belief in things for which there is no evidence of truth. Zero point zero difference.
Since when is wrong thinking a crime?

Old 01-10-2021, 02:34 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Since when is wrong thinking a crime?
It’s a crime against sensibility and reason. The punishment for that crime can include the death penalty, so take care!

Old 01-10-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
It’s a crime against sensibility and reason. The punishment for that crime can include the death penalty, so take care!
Hyperbole is often a problem with your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality