Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 08:05 AM

88,301 posts, read 84,311,090 times

Advertisements

I remember being a little kid and being told God is everywhere, which set off a torrent of questions to my mother.

Is God inside the closet? Is God inside my stuffed animals? Is God...

"Time to be quiet and go to sleep!"

Old 10-16-2019, 08:05 AM

3,202 posts, read 1,587,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'm an atheist as you know, so I don't believe god is anywhere, but I was under the impression that theists believe god IS everywhere, god IS everything and everything IS god?
But now that you raise the question perhaps I'm wrong about that?
Pantheism is the idea that everything or the universe IS God.

Judaism/Christianity/Islam, the big 3 monotheistic religions, make a clear distinction between God and Not-God, or the Creator and the Creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 08:15 AM

3,202 posts, read 1,587,220 times
"I fill heaven and earth." (Jeremiah 23:24).

Whether God is everywhere?

I answer that, Since place is a thing, to be in place can be understood in a twofold sense; either by way of other things—i.e. as one thing is said to be in another no matter how; and thus the accidents of a place are in place; or by a way proper to place; and thus things placed are in a place. Now in both these senses, in some way God is in every place; and this is to be everywhere.

First, as He is in all things giving them being, power and operation; so He is in every place as giving it existence and locative power. Again, things placed are in place, inasmuch as they fill place; and God fills every place; not, indeed, like a body, for a body is said to fill place inasmuch as it excludes the co-presence of another body; whereas by God being in a place, others are not thereby excluded from it; indeed, by the very fact that He gives being to the things that fill every place, He Himself fills every place.

- Aquinas

Old 10-16-2019, 09:10 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,338,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
He's God. The Creator of the Universe. The Alpha and Omega. He was there in the beginning (and for eternity prior) and will be at the end (and eternity after).
Where exactly is "there"? When Jesus "ascended" to heaven, he was bodily taken up into the clouds. I daresay we have all been above the clouds. There's no heaven up above the clouds. Only more up. Humans have been to the moon. They did not encounter heaven. Beyond the sun there are stars and galaxies. Ancient people considered the visible stars to be the veil that concealed heaven. But we have telescopes that can peer across the universe. No heaven is observed.

Jesus was bodily taken up to heaven. Muhammad flew up to heaven on a flying steed named Baraq. Where exactly did they go?

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 10-16-2019 at 09:21 AM..

Old 10-16-2019, 09:13 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,295,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'm an atheist as you know, so I don't believe god is anywhere, but I was under the impression that theists believe god IS everywhere, god IS everything and everything IS god?
But now that you raise the question perhaps I'm wrong about that?
Cool, we will all learn something more about each other.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
(Jeremiah 23:24).
- Aquinas
Just to keep on topic where do you think God is?
We know about Jer and A.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Jesus was bodily taken up to heaven. Muhammad flew up to heaven on a flying steed named Baraq. Where exactly did they go?
Don't forget Enoch...and where is Mary, where'd she go? You're an atheist, right?
"He was there in the beginning..." LOL---Where is 'there'? Hahahahaha-Good one.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:24 AM

25,441 posts, read 17,134,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That's it -for those that believe in God - of any religion.

Where do you think God is........................
To a spiritual believer, the question has no meaning. God is not anywhere.
It's like asking what part of your body contains your soul. Someone who asks the question cannot understand the answer.

For me, I think the origin of the confusion lies in the way most people speak of God. We speak of "the will of God; the hand of God; the word of God, and then we go "reside in heaven".
It's all wrong, I think.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:37 AM

858 posts, read 675,319 times
In your imagination!

Old 10-16-2019, 09:40 AM

3,821 posts, read 1,361,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
...Where do you think God is? ...
As Close as you'll let Him Be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality