Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Don't forget Enoch...and where is Mary, where'd she go? You're an atheist, right?
"He was there in the beginning..." LOL---Where is 'there'? Hahahahaha-Good one.
The observable universe is upwards of 100 billion light years in diameter. At the speed of light Enoch and Mary and Jesus are still flying through space and will be for billions of years yet.

Of course according to Muhammad he flew up to heaven, met with God, and returned to Earth all in one night. There is this ongoing conflict between observable physical reality and ancient make believe, you see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 09:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
To a spiritual believer, the question has no meaning. God is not anywhere.
It's like asking what part of your body contains your soul. Someone who asks the question cannot understand the answer.
For me, I think the origin of the confusion lies in the way most people speak of God.
We speak of "the will of God; the hand of God; the word of God, and then we go "reside in heaven".
It's all wrong, I think.
Would you expound more on that theme?

Old 10-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
As Close as you'll let Him Be!
Ok - favorite answer so far.

Added: I forgot this quote - you'll like it.
"You can be as close to God as you wanna be...it depends
on how much time you're willing to put into it." - a preacher

(I found that to be true.)

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-16-2019 at 10:17 AM..

Old 10-16-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
There is this ongoing conflict between observable physical reality and ancient make believe, you see.
Ah, so if something is unseen it doesn't exist?
It's make believe? It must be observable in physical reality, then?
-To be sure of what you're saying.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:39 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,604,262 times
Quote:
Just to keep on topic where do you think God is?
We know about Jer and A.
I can only agree with Jeremiah and Aquinas. Aquinas has really covered every argument and counter-argument I have seen in religious debate, I have nothing much to add to what he has covered. I do learn more every time I go to see what he has to say on a topic.

But to add something more, I will say that the question “Where is God?” can be answered from two different points of view.

One is from a more pure intellectual or philosophical point of view, covering what the idea of “omnipresence” means, and how omnipresence in God relates to the other attributes of God. This is what Aquinas covers.

The other point of view for answering the question “Where is God?”, is really about where do I find a relationship with God?

This is what the more poetic answers speak to.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Ah, so if something is unseen it doesn't exist?
It's make believe? It must be observable in physical reality, then?
-To be sure of what you're saying.
It must certainly have more than just faith -claims in order to ve a viable proposition.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I can only agree with Jeremiah and Aquinas. Aquinas has really covered every argument and counter-argument I have seen in religious debate, I have nothing much to add to what he has covered. I do learn more every time I go to see what he has to say on a topic.

But to add something more, I will say that the question “Where is God?” can be answered from two different points of view.

One is from a more pure intellectual or philosophical point of view, covering what the idea of “omnipresence” means, and how omnipresence in God relates to the other attributes of God. This is what Aquinas covers.

The other point of view for answering the question “Where is God?”, is really about where do I find a relationship with God?

This is what the more poetic answers speak to.
The first is about a god that requires something more than faith -claims to be a viable proposition. The second is arguing that faith -claims are enough. They are (logically) not. If someone who believes on faith accepts that, it's ok. Provided that they don't then try to pretend that science and logic supports it. Which is what 85 % of religious apologetics is trying to do. Usually by fiddling science and logic to look like they support the faith -claims.

The Old Favourite of 'Who made everything, then?' sums it up. The right, logical and honest answer is 'Nobody knows'. But the answer presented is 'If you can't prove it was something else, God must be the answer'. This is illogical on several levels.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:43 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The observable universe is upwards of 100 billion light years in diameter. At the speed of light Enoch and Mary and Jesus are still flying through space and will be for billions of years yet.

Of course according to Muhammad he flew up to heaven, met with God, and returned to Earth all in one night. There is this ongoing conflict between observable physical reality and ancient make believe, you see.
Not even ancient...happens all the time. Just ask ocean777.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:48 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,164 times
Great question! I'm coming around to believing that God is the pure luminous awareness--I am-ness-- in whom we live and move and have our being. Inside us, outside us, the boundary dissolves. There is nowhere where God isn't. I'm listening to a book now by Sally Kempton called Doorways to the Infinite that has meditations on this very topic.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:55 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Great question! I'm coming around to believing that God is the pure luminous awareness--I am-ness-- in whom we live and move and have our being. Inside us, outside us, the boundary dissolves. There is nowhere where God isn't. I'm listening to a book now by Sally Kempton called Doorways to the Infinite that has meditations on this very topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality