Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:23 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
This was just a bashing thread.

I'm a Christian, but I don't really like music designated as "Christian." Even so, there are artists who do a good job. You aren't required to like them.

Tobymac is good.
Kirk Franklin is my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr41skFqzb8

Kb is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUsaOOKIZjw

The fact that you think it's "blind following" is the worst part of this post.
The first video has a phenomenal beat...but it also gives Christianity lots of credit it doesn't deserve. I say it's kind of hollow because of that. It does the whole "Christianity is good! lalala!" stuff without actually delving into things that Christianity does well.

Give me a song about Christianity building a community and I'll believe that. It doesn't "start revolutions" though. It is typically the default system people rebel against. It's a very entertaining and possibly effective piece of propaganda...but you don't need Christianity to do any of the things they're talking about. I want to hear about someone's mother taking them to church, and that place being a community bonding center or something...or some former criminal feeling forgiven by Jesus and turning away from crime. I might believe that too.

The second song I agree is genuinely good Christian rap music. The reason why it's good, I think, and not hollow is because for him Christianity is part of his identity and he has to ignore parts of society to express that identity (for example, he's got to deal with people liking "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC). I can believe that. He talks about not conforming to society, and that's a major theme. I think he wrote this from his life experiences.

Last edited by Clintone; 10-17-2019 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 09:30 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
The first video has a phenomenal beat...but it also gives Christianity lots of credit it doesn't deserve. I say it's kind of hollow because of that. It does the whole "Christianity is good! lalala!" stuff without actually delving into things that Christianity does well.

Give me a song about Christianity building a community and I'll believe that. It doesn't "start revolutions" though. It is typically the default system people rebel against.

The second song is awesome in basically every way...but hardly ever mentions Christianity.
You just don't have any kind of understanding of what this faith is about.

Nothing you're wishing for makes sense, from a Christian perspective. That's not how it works. True Christians aren't blind or passive.

The Kirk Franklin song isn't anything "la la" you claim. It calls for a faith-based solution to social problems.

"Sick and tired of daddies leavin' babies with their mothers
So every man that wanna lay around and play around
Listen partner, you be man enough to stay around..."
IS about building community.

Dads, stay with the family you make.

Being a Christian is one of the most rebellious things a person in the US can do today because it's basically the only religion that it's perfectly socially acceptable to mock, as evidenced by this forum.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:05 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
You just don't have any kind of understanding of what this faith is about.

Nothing you're wishing for makes sense, from a Christian perspective. That's not how it works. True Christians aren't blind or passive.
If you believe in hell for nonbelief, you are. If you believe you require the forgiveness of someone else to be redeemed...you might be, depending on how you look at that. If you believe you are a bad person for questioning whether or not the creator is just, you definitely are blind and passive. A non-passive and open-eyed Christian would be perfectly content with other people instigating discussions about whether or not God is a monster. An open-minded Christian would feel proud to question whether or not God exists. An open-minded Christian would make their own moral code totally independent of religion. That cuts out a very large chunk of Christians from the open-minded category...and there are probably a lot of Christians who are in that open-minded category, but a much larger percentage of atheists, agnostics, pagans, and deists are naturally in that category...that free-thinking category.

A major theme in Christianity is "You are lowly, so obey God. Don't question God." That tends to inspire a lot of blind passivity, although not always so.

Quote:
The Kirk Franklin song isn't anything "la la" you claim. It calls for a faith-based solution to social problems.

"Sick and tired of daddies leavin' babies with their mothers
So every man that wanna lay around and play around
Listen partner, you be man enough to stay around..."
IS about building community.

Dads, stay with the family you make.

Being a Christian is one of the most rebellious things a person in the US can do today because it's basically the only religion that it's perfectly socially acceptable to mock, as evidenced by this forum.
It's about building a community IF the best way to build a community is through the church. One problem with building such a community through, is it also alienates some people who do not practice that religion...so there are pros and cons. If it does build a community, it only does so because of the church attendance.

The song definitely gives credit to Christianity it doesn't deserve. The church deserves it, maybe, not Christianity. It's propaganda...possibly useful propaganda, but it depicts reality inaccurately...and it kind of makes me angry that it's giving so much credit to Christianity that is not deserved. For all I know it could fool people into thinking religion is the solution to all of life's problems, when it's not...but the song implies that it is. As far as I'm concerned, the heart of it is basically this:

https://youtu.be/1ppisOulgG0

It does have a wonderful sound though...way better than the kid's.

Last edited by Clintone; 10-17-2019 at 10:33 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 10:40 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I don't know any Christian rap songs, and I likely will never seek to listen to any.

But some of the worst music for tunelessness can be found in The Hymnal of the Episcopal Church, and the lyrics are often poetic but uninspiring. Most Episcopal Churches also have in their pews the African Episcopal hymnal, Lift Every Voice and Sing, but its not used often enough.

I love the ritual of the Episcopal Church, especially as its ancient practies are juxtaposed with a modern, liberal social humanity coupled with the care for our environment.

However, the traditional music is just awful.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:30 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:

If you believe in hell for nonbelief, you are. If you believe you require the forgiveness of someone else to be redeemed...you might be, depending on how you look at that. If you believe you are a bad person for questioning whether or not the creator is just, you definitely are blind and passive. A non-passive and open-eyed Christian would be perfectly content with other people instigating discussions about whether or not God is a monster. An open-minded Christian would feel proud to question whether or not God exists. An open-minded Christian would make their own moral code totally independent of religion. That cuts out a very large chunk of Christians from the open-minded category...and there are probably a lot of Christians who are in that open-minded category, but a much larger percentage of atheists, agnostics, pagans, and deists are naturally in that category...that free-thinking category.
There are close-minded people everywhere, in every group, religious or secular. It's not something restricted to the Christian faith.

Quote:
A major theme in Christianity is "You are lowly, so obey God. Don't question God."
False.

Quote:

It's about building a community IF the best way to build a community is through the church.
Yes, Christians believe that the source of community is through the church, with worship and service to others. It's doing unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote:

One problem with building such a community through, is it also alienates some people who do not practice that religion...so there are pros and cons.
Well, yeah, it could. But that is the person's choice t feel alienated. In the church I attend, the communion table is open to all, no questions asked.

Quote:
If it does build a community, it only does so because of the church attendance.
False.

Quote:

The song definitely gives credit to Christianity it doesn't deserve. The church deserves it, maybe, not Christianity.
"The church" IS Christianity. It's not a building.

It's propaganda...possibly useful propaganda, but it depicts reality inaccurately...and it kind of makes me angry that it's giving so much credit to Christianity that is not deserved. For all I know it could fool people into thinking religion is the solution to all of life's problems, when it's not...[/quote]

That's your opinion, but it appears to be based on no actual knowledge of Christianity whatsoever. You're making a lot of judgments that are just not true.

Anything could fool people into thinking it's the solution to all of life's problems. There's so much more to faith than that, though. I know my efforts are wasted here. All I can say is you have a lot to learn. If you don't plan to learn, at least find something else to complain about that you actually understand.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:37 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:

Well, yeah, it could. But that is the person's choice t feel alienated. In the church I attend, the communion table is open to all, no questions asked.

<snipped for brevity>
Same with mine. Everyone is welcome for communion, and if for whatever reason they don't want to partake, they may still come up for a blessing.

Our former deacon's husband was an atheist, born Jewish but not religious (his name is Christopher, which should give you a clue about just how Jewish his parents were, lol) and he came to church frequently, especially when their daughter was playing her flute for the service. He always went up to receive a blessing from the priest, even though he wasn't a believer.

That's how a church community should be.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:36 AM

175 posts, read 93,604 times
Well,I'm not offended,since I'm not a practicing Christian
I'm no-fan of the horrible,mindless Christian songs,even I still consider these music better than some anti Christian extreme metal songs,because most of the songs created by the later genre usually not only anti Christian,but also praise evil or xenophobic ideologies

Old 10-19-2019, 06:47 PM

246 posts, read 1,248,040 times
There was a time when a follower of Jesus Christ and a non-believer were able to clearly tell the difference between christian music and worldly secular music, not anymore, those lines have been completely blurred. The beast is in the beats and that beat gets them every time because it's a reminder of the music they listened to when they were in and of the world.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Romans 12:2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality