Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 08:34 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It doesn't matter whether you make my pointing up a very distinct and probably doctrinal difference in the Mormon God and Jesus and the Christian one 'Spin'or whether i call you skating over it 'spin'. It is something you skated over and i pointed it it out.

I might point out that you skating over an aspect that the animated video made very graphic asks the question of whether they are really misrepresenting the Mormon teachings or whether you are brushing away the video that makes fair points but which don't suit you.
They aren't fair points; they're caricatures, misrepresentations, half-truths and outright lies -- just like the example I made in my first post about the doctrine of Transubstantiation in Catholicism. Do I need to take the video apart, sentence by sentence, and write a dissertation exposing each inaccuracy individually?

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-01-2019 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 08:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Didn't see what to add to it. I kind of agreed with you.
Double crafty bugger if you had nothing to add you needed to say nothing. Instead you put a point I'd answered. Now you with visible clumsiness try to wriggle out of it.

There is an old saying which we atheists studiously avoid using as it is Very inflammatory and rather broad:

"Show me a Christian and I'll show you a liar".

But post after post from Your Kind makes Our Kind recall it and have to fight not to use it.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
We can dance around it all day, but we know that many different folks teach many different versions of Jesus. Some believe in a Trinity, where Jesus is God. Some believe he is an alien, and literal brother to Lucifer, born to God's Spirit wife.
I believe in a Godhead where Jesus is God. I don't believe He's an alien, rather that He is my elder brother. I believe that all human spirits that God created (the Bible refers to Him as the "Father of spirits") are His sons and daughters. That would make them spirit brother and sisters. I believe that you are the spirit brother of both Mahatma Gandhi and Adolf Hitler. Neither Gandhi's qualities nor Hitler's reflect on you in any way. And, for your information, spirits don't give birth.

You clearly don't want to understand what I believe. I'm not sure why. It can never hurt anyone to gain a bit of knowledge. You just want to try to take what I believe, twist it and manipulate it into something distasteful and bizarre. I've never asked you to agree with my beliefs. That you would make a genuine attempt to understand them is all I have ever asked for. Apparently, though, even that is too much to ask.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-01-2019 at 08:56 AM..

Old 11-01-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
They aren't fair points; they're caricatures misrepresentations, half-truths and outright lies -- just like the example I made in my first post about the doctrine of Transubstantiation in Catholicism. Do I need to take the video apart, sentence by sentence, and write a dissertation exposing each inaccuracy individually?
You could do that if you want, but I'd rather leave the doctrinal differences to Christians and consider this Alien race aspect. Whether I'm misrepresenting it as calling Transubstantiation dissection depends rather on whether whether the wine and bread is only metaphorically becoming the meat and blood of Jesus or in actuality (I suspect that it does and doesn't at the same time, which is a Mystery and that proves it is a miracle ) and whether we are talking about a group of solid body beings that reproduce genetically or not. And of course whether this this is Mormon doctrine or not.

If it is, I'd say you have some explaining to do (with the credibility of the vid or yours on the line) and I'll leave Theological disputes to Christians.

P.s I'll say this much, whatever the Origins of God and the race of beings to which he, his wife...(wives?) Jesus and Lucifer belonged, it all seems to have elevated to 'spirit' now and each spirit inhabits a body.

"The image of God
When Mormons say that human beings are made in the image of God, they mean this to be taken literally and physically, not just morally and spiritually.
In the pre-mortal state spirit children are taught God's plans and purposes.
Each spirit child is given a choice by God as to whether they will follow his plan of salvation by being given a body and spending time being tested through life on earth
." (BBC - religion)

Old 11-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
You could do that if you want, but I'd rather leave the doctrinal differences to Christians and consider this Alien race aspect. Whether I'm misrepresenting it as calling Transubstantiation dissection depends rather on whether whether the wine and bread is only metaphorically becoming the meat and blood of Jesus or in actuality (I suspect that it does and doesn't at the same time, which is a Mystery and that proves it is a miracle ) and whether we are talking about a group of solid body beings that reproduce genetically or not. And of course whether this this is Mormon doctrine or not.

If it is, I'd say you have some explaining to do (with the credibility of the vid or yours on the line) and I'll leave Theological disputes to Christians.
I'm sorry. I am genuinely trying to understand what you're getting at, particularly with regards to how "group of solid body beings that reproduce genetically" constitute an alien race. If you'll work with me, I'm willing to try to get to the bottom of this and come up with an answer that you can understand (even if you disagree with it).

Old 11-01-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sorry. I am genuinely trying to understand what you're getting at, particularly with regards to how "group of solid body beings that reproduce genetically" constitute an alien race. If you'll work with me, I'm willing to try to get to the bottom of this and come up with an answer that you can understand (even if you disagree with it).
I don't see why this is so hard for you.

God was apparently a solid body being and there were others of his kind and he had a wife (or several) and the sons and daughters also had solid bodies. That is an alien race in all important respects, even if they have evolved to spirit beings.

This is not (I am pretty sure) a story of God's former being that Christianity would accept doctrinally.

"In addition, members of the Anointed Quorum, a highly select leadership group in the early church that was privy to Smith's teachings, also acknowledged the existence of a Heavenly Mother.[6]:65–67[7] The Times and Seasons published a letter to the editor from a pseudonymous person named "Joseph's Speckled Bird", in which the author stated that in the pre-Earth life, the spirit "was a child with his father and mother in heaven".[8] The apostle Parley Pratt even taught in an official church periodical that God may have had multiple wives before Christ's time, and that after the death of Mary (the mother of Jesus) she may have become another eternal wife" (Wiki)

Now this may not be other than the Opinion of individuals within the church.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I don't see why this is so hard for you.

God was apparently a solid body being and there were others of his kind and he had a wife (or several) and the sons and daughters also had solid bodies. That is an alien race in all important respects, even if they have evolved to spirit beings.

This is not (I am pretty sure) a story of God's former being that Christianity would accept doctrinally.

"In addition, members of the Anointed Quorum, a highly select leadership group in the early church that was privy to Smith's teachings, also acknowledged the existence of a Heavenly Mother.[6]:65–67[7] The Times and Seasons published a letter to the editor from a pseudonymous person named "Joseph's Speckled Bird", in which the author stated that in the pre-Earth life, the spirit "was a child with his father and mother in heaven".[8] The apostle Parley Pratt even taught in an official church periodical that God may have had multiple wives before Christ's time, and that after the death of Mary (the mother of Jesus) she may have become another eternal wife" (Wiki)

Now this may not be other than the Opinion of individuals within the church.
I'll get back to you. I may not be able to post again until this evening due to an all-day commitment.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:27 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
I highly recommend the play The Book Of Mormons.

Excellent information and well with the money to learn everything to know about white and delightsome mormons

Old 11-01-2019, 09:52 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKkLV1zE8M0

Old 11-01-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
I highly recommend the play The Book Of Mormons.

Excellent information and well with the money to learn everything to know about white and delightsome mormons
I'm assuming from what you are saying that you think the play is an accurate representation of the religion. I've actually seen it. Great music and choreography, and a few extremely funny parts. But "informational"? Hardly. And by the way, the play is named after the book, which is The Book of Mormon (singular), and the play actually has nothing to do with the book itself.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-01-2019 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality