Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 12:37 PM

141 posts, read 58,808 times

Advertisements

I'm told the title of this message is attributed to Gandhi. Maybe so, maybe not...

But, the thought I get...Oh, I so do.

I'm a Christian. But, I openly admit--I am, at times, appalled at the behavior of some of my, so called, "Brothers and Sisters in Christ." Those that are holier than thou...that love to look down their nose at the "heathens" of the world---and, as the Pharisee did, thank God that "I'm not like them..."

I had a friend that worked at a Six Flags theme park. Their LEAST favorite day of the year? "Christian Day". He said the rudeness and the haughty nature of so many of the folks on that day was nearly shocking. Yet..., they would proudly proclaim..."I Am a Christian...I'm not like those filthy heathens..."

Some of you have been offended and hurt by people I describe. I won't bother trying to pick apart the actual nature of the offense but I will offer this...I apologize to you if you have been wrongly dealt with on whatever level by a person calling themselves a Christian. I know that may not mean much...yet, I offer it as stated.

I strive, greatly strive, to talk the talk and walk the walk that Jesus calls me to. Am I always successful? Nah, but I do so try. I've been told my posts on here are akin to "shoving Jesus down our throats". Well, to that I say...I share what God's done for me. I openly proclaim His Majesty and I am beyond thankful for His rescuing me from the slimy, dark, pit I was living in.

Yes, I speak...but, I don't berate or belittle anyone that rejects what I say. It's an individual choice and I totally respect that That's why I won't argue about this.

I share with anyone who's heart may be ready to just....consider...just consider...that the God I speak of is real and true.

That's the key actually. Many want solid evidence. They say, "show me proof, I'll believe. Until then, no way." The people surrounding Jesus in His day often said likewise...show us a sign. I was kinda like that myself back in the day...somewhat anyway. And, I get that...human logic wants evidence. Absolutely. The intellectual mind struggles to consider something it can't see, it can't touch...as being real.

Unfortunately, God does not respond to that...

What He does respond to is the heart that says..."I don't know if you're real or not, but I'm really willing to consider...honestly consider...that you may be what this goofy Casual Visitor says you are..."

That...God will respond to. He will reveal Himself...That's how it happened for me...I remember it well.

And, what do I say He is? He's the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He's the creator of the best Pizza Known to Mankind. He's my mighty fortress. He's my God, He's my Father...without Him, I'm empty, alone, fearful, and desperately searching...with Him----I'm Complete. The Joy of the Lord, is my Strength.

Let he who has ears...hear.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 11-23-2019 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 01:03 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Yes. Jerks are jerks. The difference between some is that some profess faith. But jerks are still jerks. And they're spread equally among all belief systems, I've found.

Old 11-22-2019, 01:08 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
that not true bapt.

jerks are jerks only when they arent wearing the same t-shirt.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:50 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post

I had a friend that worked at a Six Flags theme park. Their LEAST favorite day of the year? "Christian Day". He said the rudeness and the haughty nature of so many of the folks on that day was nearly shocking. Yet..., they would proudly proclaim..."I Am a Christian...I'm not like those filthy heathens..."
Tell your friend it could be worse. He could be working at any one of millions of Pizza shops on Sunday buffet day.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
I'm told the title of this message is attributed to Gandhi. Maybe so, maybe not...

nipped for space ...

they don't like Christians because of what some Christians do.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:57 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:

What He does respond to is the heart that says..."I don't know if you're real or not, but I'm really willing to consider...honestly consider...that you may be what this goofy Casual Visitor says you are..."

Casual Visitor has said that he believes God is a God of love who will condemn unbelievers to an eternity in hell, if I recall correctly. I asked if that God existed, and the answer I received was, "Seriously? How much sense does that even make? Of course not!" I was humbled and yet grateful to know how stupid I had been to ever think it was true.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Yes. Ghandi said that shortly after he was refused entry into a Presbyterian Church in Africa - dressed as usual
with bare feet. This was after he had read the entire Bible in prison.

Loved your first post, CV. Bravo

Old 11-22-2019, 03:47 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,791,308 times
Quote:
Yes, it is.

Quote:
That's the key actually. Many want solid evidence. They say, "show me proof, I'll believe. Until then, no way."
What He has said is "Believe FIRST; THEN I'll show you proof".

I like what you wrote. Very uplifting.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:50 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:

But, the thought I get...Oh, I so do.

I'm a Christian. But, I openly admit--I am, at times, appalled at the behavior of some of my, so called, "Brothers and Sisters in Christ." Those that are holier than thou...that love to look down their nose at the "heathens" of the world---and, as the Pharisee did, thank God that "I'm not like them..."

Some of you have been offended and hurt by people I describe. I won't bother trying to pick apart the actual nature of the offense but I will offer this...I apologize to you if you have been wrongly dealt with on whatever level by a person calling themselves a Christian. I know that may not mean much...yet, I offer it as stated.

I strive, greatly strive, to talk the talk and walk the walk that Jesus calls me to. Am I always successful? Nah, but I do so try. I've been told my posts on here are akin to "shoving Jesus down our throats". Well, to that I say...I share what God's done for me. I openly proclaim His Majesty and I am beyond thankful for His rescuing me from the slimy, dark, pit I was living in.

Yes, I speak...but, I don't berate or belittle anyone that rejects what I say. It's an individual choice and I totally respect that That's why I won't argue about this.

I share with anyone who's heart may be ready to just....consider...just consider...that the God I speak of is real and true.

That's the key actually. Many want solid evidence. They say, "show me proof, I'll believe. Until then, no way." The people surrounding Jesus in His day often said likewise...show us a sign. I was kinda like that myself back in the day...somewhat anyway. And, I get that...human logic wants evidence. Absolutely. The intellectual mind struggles to consider something it can't see, it can't touch...as being real.

Unfortunately, God does not respond to that...

That...God will respond to. He will reveal Himself...That's how it happened for me...I remember it well.

And, what do I say He is? He's the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He's the creator of the best Pizza Known to Mankind. He's my mighty fortress. He's my God, He's my Father...without Him, I'm empty, alone, fearful, and desperately searching...with Him----I'm Complete. The Joy of the Lord, is my Strength.

It was Ghandi. He also said in response to a question of what he thought of Western Civilisation, 'I think it would be a good idea".

These were Political points rather than religious or cultural, and should not perhaps be taken too seriously.

Logically (and I'm not saying that all atheists are logical) Bad belhavior by Christians does not in itself discredit the Ism - only that human beans do not always act in a praiseworthy manner.

If there is a polemic aspect to swindles or scandals, it is to counter the high moral ground claim that 'Religion makes people better". It may afford good people a chance to be even better; it may even make bad people good, but it offers endless opportunities for bad people to be as bad as they can possibly be and use religion as a way of making themselves untouchable, beyond question and exempt from Law.

This, not religion itself, is what steams atheism. We CAN disagree amicably. We can even be happy that YOU are happy with the religion that you found. But we can't agree to leave religion - or the people who use (or misuse) it - beyond human accountability.

There is also the aspect of the existence of a god who supposedly speaks to people. Isn't it conceivable that such a god would see fit to come to all their Josephs in a dream and tell them, 'Have you any idea what that fellow is doing with the money he gets from you?" Which you'd think He'd see would be needed to get over the denial of the faithful when the critical fingers start being pointed even more urgently than the need to remain Mysterious in case it diluted the Faith of the faithful.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-22-2019 at 05:01 PM..

Old 11-22-2019, 05:35 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
If a "Christian" doesn't act like or resemble Christ, he/she isn't a Christian. People can call themselves anything, but the label or word doesn't make it true. An analogy could include someone calling himself a "birdman", but cannot fly and doesn't resemble a bird in any way.

Only consistent actions and attitudes reveal the true person and identity inside. Words and labels are often b.s. Think along the lines: money talks, b.s. walks...

We used to be a nation and people of going by actions as the true mark of a person, not some words, labels, or verbal crutches to prop ourselves up with. But we've inverted that to where we readily accept them, no matter how far-fetched and bogus. No effort is taken to follow-up or verify, and many are willfully led astray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality