Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 01:31 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,977,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive read a little bit about Hinduism, mostly about the supposed 'Vimanhas' they built and used as transportation...

I found it interesting there was SO MUCH detail on their construction, materials used, different designs and uses, etc. I dont think there is anything remotely comparable in the bible! I had the impression this was more of an ancient history book.
I must also admit to being ignorant of much of Hinduism, which is why I found the video Transponder posted helpful.

What I find interesting about Hinduism is that some of the earliest texts about atheism come from Hindu writings. Unfortunately I never found time to read any of these texts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 06:03 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I must also admit to being ignorant of much of Hinduism, which is why I found the video Transponder posted helpful.

What I find interesting about Hinduism is that some of the earliest texts about atheism come from Hindu writings. Unfortunately I never found time to read any of these texts.
I'm curious--what texts are those? My theory is that when a religion defines 'God' the way that Hinduism does, it no longer becomes important whether God is called God or not, or whether anyone 'believes.' It just IS, everywhere and in everything, so I can see how that can allow for an atheist viewpoint. Atheism clashes most strongly with 'a creator God' as separate from everything, with clearly defined attributes and the demand to 'believe.' Buddhism, which is non-theistic, came from Hinduism (although it may not have been called 'Hinduism' in the time of the Buddha).

I have to include the caveat about my limited knowledge of Hinduism! It mostly comes from the yoga world, which is not properly Hinduism. But I am taking an online course now from a practitioner of non-dual Shaiva tantra, which is from Kashmir Shaivism, which I believe arose from Hinduism, and there 'God' is defined as 'awareness, free and independent' which is certainly compatible with an atheist viewpoint.

What's interesting though, is that these non-theistic paths still retain many supernatural elements.

Last edited by kmom2; 02-04-2020 at 06:11 AM..

Old 02-04-2020, 07:08 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I'm curious--what texts are those? My theory is that when a religion defines 'God' the way that Hinduism does, it no longer becomes important whether God is called God or not, or whether anyone 'believes.' It just IS, everywhere and in everything, so I can see how that can allow for an atheist viewpoint. Atheism clashes most strongly with 'a creator God' as separate from everything, with clearly defined attributes and the demand to 'believe.' Buddhism, which is non-theistic, came from Hinduism (although it may not have been called 'Hinduism' in the time of the Buddha).

I have to include the caveat about my limited knowledge of Hinduism! It mostly comes from the yoga world, which is not properly Hinduism. But I am taking an online course now from a practitioner of non-dual Shaiva tantra, which is from Kashmir Shaivism, which I believe arose from Hinduism, and there 'God' is defined as 'awareness, free and independent' which is certainly compatible with an atheist viewpoint.

What's interesting though, is that these non-theistic paths still retain many supernatural elements.
They are in the Vedas, but I do not know which ones. But as I watched the video, I saw a similarity between Hinduism and Daoism in that everything comes from one ultimate source. It would be interesting for me to see if there was a connection there, perhaps something to investigate when I retire.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:40 AM

2,962 posts, read 863,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
They are in the Vedas, but I do not know which ones. But as I watched the video, I saw a similarity between Hinduism and Daoism in that everything comes from one ultimate source. It would be interesting for me to see if there was a connection there, perhaps something to investigate when I retire.
Are you now open to the existence of the supernatural?

Old 02-04-2020, 09:58 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post

You are correct - not that i want to derail the discussion, but atheism is not anti god, or even anti religion. And even 'anti -Theism' is a very unfortunate term. Atheism does not subscribe to a cosmic mind, Intelligent nature, or an intended and designed creation of the cosmos, universe or whatever; preferring the materialist and naturalist explanation as we know that matter (as it is called) and natural physical processes exist but Something More' has not been validated.

That said, it follows that science and logic does provide the best explanation, body of data and preferred basis for science, society and reasoning.

This does not in any way preclude people believing what they like, but it will not be taught as true, scientific or a basis for anything other than personal belief. This is in all our interests (including different religions )

So I like Hinduism and will do so until it becomes a social threat. At one time, it looked like it. This is anti -organised and evangelical religion. It is not anti a religion that people want to practice and let others believe what they like - as the believers are so fond of saying.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-04-2020 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: way, man; way.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:03 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Are you now open to the existence of the supernatural?
I, personally, am open to all possibilities. But it is very clear that historically make believe has overwhelmingly ruled the beliefs of the majority of people. Because historically the majority of people were ignorant of what modern physical empirical observation has revealed. Possibilities become more probable when they are associated with some sort of empirical evidence. You see.

For example:
More probable - Electrical theory. Flip a switch and complete a circuit, and lights come on. Physical evidence that electrical theory is sound.

Less probable - Christian claims. A man who died but returned to life and subsequently flew off up into the sky has been about to return at any moment for the last 2,000 years. But never actually does. All historical and empirical evidence indicates that everyone who lived 2,000 years ago uniformly died and cannot and will not return. Conforms to make believe.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Less probable - Christian claims. A man who died but returned to life and subsequently flew off up into the sky has been about to return at any moment for the last 2,000 years. But never actually does.
Now that doesn't seem so improbable to me, nor a blue boy with a flute
making love to 12 milk maidens all at the same time.
If Krishna is a manifestation of Vishnu - He can do anything He wants!

What DOES seem stupefying is that people believe a loving Father God would send His beloved son, (beloved as we all are)
to be tortured and die for other peoples' sin, as if He needed a blood sacrifice, as the Volcano Gods needed a virgin,
so NOW Heaven is available to them
as if it never was before, believing the Fall in the Garden Story.

We need to get to Hindu questions being answered.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:18 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Now that doesn't seem so improbable to me, nor a blue boy with a flute
making love to 12 milk maidens all at the same time.
If Krishna is a manifestation of Vishnu - He can do anything He wants!

What DOES seem stupefying is that people believe a loving Father God would send His beloved son, (beloved as we all are)
to be tortured and die for other peoples' sin, as if He needed a blood sacrifice, as the Volcano Gods needed a virgin,
so NOW Heaven is available to them
as if it never was before, believing the Fall in the Garden Story.

We need to get to Hindu questions being answered.
Twelve! I was a horny little devil when I was young. But twelve seems a steep hill to climb. Or maybe the maidens were taken from the 72 virgins destined for martyrs.

But of course a Being who can do anything can achieve anything. Which would include,among other things, causing reindeer to fly. He does seem to have difficulty getting people to outgrow their childlike make believe when they reach adulthood, however.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:27 AM

15,957 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
'More a way of Life'. That's what they all say, of course.

I always approach these types of exposition with trepidation and internal winces. I lost interest when it went into the Purana but I though the first half on the Vedic part, which deals with Advaita, was quite good. Thank you for sharing this.
Any guesses on that accent? It sounds like he could be Eastern European.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:29 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Default Nsfw

This 12 gopis thing is quite a stickler for Hinduism- in respect of Krishna.

This probably makes what case it can as well as any.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-we-acc...illage-maidens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality