Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 02:05 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I think we need to be disillusioned with 'Christendom' ( so-called Christian but mostly in name only ).
We need to get out of Christendom, get out of what is religiously false - Revelation 18:4
The apostles were Not disillusioned with 1st-century Christianity teachings.
What Christendom practices are church customs, church traditions outside of Scripture but taught as being Scripture.
It is Christendom that is on the wide road.
It is Christendom that makes up the fake 'weed/tares' Christians.
It is Christendom that is part of the MANY who call Jesus as Lord but prove false - Matthew 7:21-23.

To me the BIG picture is about the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth as found at Matthew 25:31-33,37,40.

Jesus said, "Upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" Matthew 16:18. Seems to me the gates of hell/satan are doing a pretty crackerjack job on Christianity these days, or am I mistaken? I assume this was what prompted the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 02:05 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Again, this odd, narrow, closed-off way of thinking. You've been told multiple times that there are many Christians, as well as people of other religions in the United States, who vehemently defend separation of church and state in the USA, and yet you continue to repeat the above as if it isn't so.

Yes, people such as you describe above do exist, and they are a concern and have to be watched, but they do not define the view of 300 million people, theist or otherwise.

You have the right to your opinions, but you don't have the right to your own facts, as the saying goes. You don't live in the United States, and from my perspective, you have a skewed view of the way things are here and base your beliefs on a mostly-regional segment of the population that you've learned about on the Internet. Yes it's a significant-enough segment that it is indeed a matter of concern, but from where I sit, you sound like somebody who insists all of a group are lazy and on welfare even when repeatedly introduced to members of that group who are hard-working professionals.

There are many in my country who are on the same page as you, people who would fight to the death any attempt to allow a theocracy here. What do you hope to gain by dismissing our existence just because we are not atheists?
Totally agree and I never implied that you are anything to do with the pushy evanjellycal, far less the creationism -in-school crowd or 'The Constitutes really argues for a Bible -based America' lobby.

Rather, as I have made clear in many of my posts, I would see you and K-Mom and many other Theists as more on the side of the 'Nones' than the Tea-party.

That said, I do not think it beyond justification to see in your apparently note- comparing posts a suggestion to our OP pal a an easy and simple way to keep on church -going when having doubts and questions and I won't even get into 'protesting too much' because I think you are good and honest posters (which all Believing posters by any means ain't) and if you say it was just discussion with no intent to slip an encouraging note to our OP pal, I'll accept that you at lease believe that to be true.

Have a nice weekend

Old 02-07-2020, 02:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Totally agree and I never implied that you are anything to do with the pushy evanjellycal, far less the creationism -in-school crowd and 'The Constitutes really argues for a Bible -based America' lobby.

Rather, as I have made clear in many of my posts, I would see you and K-Mom and many other Theists as more on the side of the 'Nones' than the Tea-party.

That said, I do not think it beyond justification to see in your apparently note- comparing posts a suggestion to our OP pal a an easy and simple way to keep on church -going when having doubts and questions and I won't even get into 'protesting too much' because I think you are good and honest posters (which all Believing posters by any means ain't) and if you say it was just discussion with no intent to slip an encouraging note to our OP pal, I'll accept that you at lease believe that to be true.

Have a nice weekend
ROFLOLLOL!!! Oh what a forum!

Old 02-07-2020, 02:10 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
You don't have to go to church to believe in God or be religious or pray or be a good person.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:12 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
You don't have to go to church to believe in God or be religious or pray or be a good person.
True because what is good is like beauty it's in the eye of the beholder(s).

Old 02-07-2020, 02:16 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Yet, we are commanded by Scripture to fellowship with other Christians. In Scripture there is no such thing as a loner Christian. It's never presented as a good thing when God's people don't wan to be around other, like-minded people.

And it's amazing how crazy one's theology tends to get when they don't submit to a local church family. I've never met a Christian that said that who was really sound in their theology.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:28 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I'm disillusioned with Christianity in America. It seems perpetually wedded to cultural conservative politics: even in relatively mainline denominations that tendency is there. It's also seemingly anti-intellectual, for the most part, and confirms people in petty moral concerns that are often irrelevant to modern life. Christians, on the whole, seem to be particularly integrated people, and wallow in various guilts and anxieties instead of cultivating empathy for others, tolerance, patience, and emotional regulation.

I've also become more theologically liberal, to the point that I am not sure if I believe in God as a reality, or just an ideal.

I guess I am leaning towards some form of humanistic Buddhism or secular humanism. I practice meditation off and on a few times a week, and thinking about going back to seriously practicing several times a day. But I am trying to figure out where this fits into a big picture about how I live my life.
OP, I think whichever path you choose, it should be one that speaks to your heart and resonates with your soul. For me, it is a mixture of many different things such as Buddhism, secular humanism, pantheism, and maybe even a few others that I don't even know the names of, lol. Meditation is a good practice and can be very helpful in this chaotic time in which we find ourselves. I enjoy sitting quietly, listening to Tibetan bell audios and other meditative music. I also enjoy contemplating quotes by Buddha and Lao Tzu.

I was a Christian for several decades of my life, but found that though I appreciate many of the teachings of Jesus, I cannot be married to that title any more if I'm being honest with myself. I don't hold to the fundamental tenets that one has to believe in order to be a bona fide Christian, so I moved on.

I'm at a much more peaceful place in my life than I have ever been. I think everyone and everything is connected by a common Universal thread, and that the most important thing we can do for ourselves and others is to love and not judge.

Whichever path or paths you choose, I wish you peace.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,149 times
Everyone has an Angel of God standing directly behind them all day. Millions of people have felt The Angel place its hand on their shoulder. If you clear your mind totally of all thought then your Guardian Angel can get through to you & speak to you. Your thoughts create a brick wall that stops you hearing God. People think if they fill their minds with scripture then they will be closer to God. But it's like focusing on a book about a person instead of looking up & seeing that the person is right next to you; & has a lot more to teach than is in any book.

God gives spiritual experiences to millions of people across the world daily. God is speaking to the world loud & clear through all these experiences. But religions do not listen to God because they are too busy reciting old books about God.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:32 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yet, we are commanded by Scripture to fellowship with other Christians. In Scripture there is no such thing as a loner Christian. It's never presented as a good thing when God's people don't wan to be around other, like-minded people.

And it's amazing how crazy one's theology tends to get when they don't submit to a local church family. I've never met a Christian that said that who was really sound in their theology.
It may depend on what that person's definition of "God" is. Sometimes going to a particular church doesn't bring peace to a person, it may add guilt or fear. Not saying that all churches do that, and if you or anyone belongs to a church that makes you happy, then mazel tov. You don't necessarily have to go to church to be around others who are like-minded though.

That being said, I do attend a wonderful little Episcopalian church. Not because I believe everything that is said, but I love the love that those people have for each other and the community. There is no judgment there, and you can believe or not believe whatever you wish.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:43 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

All it takes is 2 people and they don't have to be in a church either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality