Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 10:11 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
This is clearly the case. Man evolved to the point where he became aware of his own mortality. As far as we know, the only animal that is so aware. Man invented God because he couldn't deal with this reality.
This is NOT so clear. God created man by giving us the ability to be aware (consciousness). That is what makes us human (living souls), NOT our physical bodies which evolved from lower species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 12:54 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,925,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I’ve never seen any proof that’s even slightly convincing that there’s a “magic” that can reliably tell you how old something is. Although, I once paid a man to guess my age at the county fair, and he got it exactly right. So I stand corrected. Maybe these scientists first worked at the county fair?
Who said anything about magic? It's called science. Radioactive isotopes decay at very predictable rates. Carbon 14 decays with a half life of 5730 years. That's not a guess, it's based on observation, and is one of the ways scientists determine the age of things.

Now the Bible would have us believe the Earth is only about 6000 years old. I've never heard anything even remotely convincing that this is true. I really can't understand why anyone would regard a manuscript written by unknown nomadic Hebrew tribesmen thousands of years ago as a reliable source of scientific information.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is NOT so clear. God created man by giving us the ability to be aware (consciousness). That is what makes us human (living souls), NOT our physical bodies which evolved from lower species.
If you are talking about consciousness (awareness) in general, there is no definite threshold that is crossed. This harkens back to another thread on C-D, where I noted as much: is a bacterium conscious? How about a worm? How about a dog? Evolution has led to gradually increasing levels of awareness, with Man being the most self-aware (we think).

Or are you talking specifically about the awareness of our own mortality? Is this the magic tripwire that gave us a soul? What is the qualitative difference between a Man and a chimp, that makes us conscious souls and them mere flesh-bound automatons?

Old 03-23-2020, 01:24 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
If you are talking about consciousness (awareness) in general, there is no definite threshold that is crossed. This harkens back to another thread on C-D, where I noted as much: is a bacterium conscious? How about a worm? How about a dog? Evolution has led to gradually increasing levels of awareness, with Man being the most self-aware (we think).

Or are you talking specifically about the awareness of our own mortality? Is this the magic tripwire that gave us a soul? What is the qualitative difference between a Man and a chimp, that makes us conscious souls and them mere flesh-bound automatons?
There IS a threshold that distinguishes human awareness from all other levels. IMV, of course, everything in our Reality exists within consciousness (unified field) so is imbued with some aspect of consciousness. But we create our individual consciousness field that contains who we actually are separate from our physical body and existence. It is that composite consciousness (Self, Spirit, Soul) within the resonant neural field that our brain creates that we are using to converse in this forum. We (our Spirit or Soul) actually reside in the unified field, itself, (God Consciousness) that establishes our Reality, but our bodies live within a physical world. It is our composite consciousness that enables us to imagine what does not exist or is NOT possible within our physical world.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:52 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,346 times
Quote:
Who said anything about magic? It's called science. Radioactive isotopes decay at very predictable rates. Carbon 14 decays with a half life of 5730 years. That's not a guess, it's based on observation, and is one of the ways scientists determine the age of things.

Now the Bible would have us believe the Earth is only about 6000 years old. I've never heard anything even remotely convincing that this is true. I really can't understand why anyone would regard a manuscript written by unknown nomadic Hebrew tribesmen thousands of years ago as a reliable source of scientific information.
I wish I could (still) fully believe the magic voodoo you call science, but alas, it’s no more reliable than the “magic voodoo” I call religion. Science is just the name of your religion.

And FYI, there is no way for your magical radioactive testing to work properly when there was a flood of boiling water less than 6,000 years ago that altered the entire fossil record by super heating it to render it entirely altered and unmeasurable.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
I think god created man right after man created god.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I wish I could (still) fully believe the magic voodoo you call science, but alas, it’s no more reliable than the “magic voodoo” I call religion.
I beg to differ. Take two people with cancer. Give one surgery and chemotherapy. Pray for the other one.
Which one do you think is more likely to be alive in a year?

Or let's have the two of us dropped in the wilderness. Give me a GPS. You ask God to show you the route back to civilization.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:21 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,346 times
Quote:
I beg to differ. Take two people with cancer. Give one surgery and chemotherapy. Pray for the other one.
Which one do you think is more likely to be alive in a year?

Or let's have the two of us dropped in the wilderness. Give me a GPS. You ask God to show you the route back to civilization.
Sorry, can’t see the point you’re making. I’ll pray to Hashem and at the same time use the GPS. You know the famous joke. Guy dies in a flood after spending days in his rooftop. Every time a boat or helicopter comes along, he sends it away and says he’s waiting for Hashem to save him. When he gets to heaven, Hashem asks him why he didn’t take any of the rescues He offered him.

You have to do your effort (use the GPS, dummy). But the GPS or the Israeli who invented it didn’t save you. Only Hashem can do that.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Quote:

Yes, everything is conscious.
In degree allotted to it.
Everything is conscious as its function, on the nature side.
Everything is conscious that it is conscious on the intelligent side.

Dog is only conscious as being dog. Rock - as being rock.

Human is - well, most are - conscious of Self.

Selfconsiusness is the threshold.

Consciousness is what makes everything tick as it does.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:06 AM

611 posts, read 280,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
When did God Create Man?

Or was it the reverse?

Man created God when he ran out of answers.
Still who created who first? In the beginning before man existed, what did he create? "Something" made man before man created anything.

And it is man that seems to be a bit short on answers; when man ran out of answers and created many, many gods...men as gods doing as they wished. And in the end they come to destroy everything. Man and this system is in the business of creating man in its own image...and indeed, man created this lying beast system.

How does God create a man in his image? In the beginning was the word...but man asks for forgiveness when he should be asking for understanding. How does a father raise a son in his own image? God is using words which require reasoning and understanding.

And it is not God that is running out of answers...it is men. Mankind.

We know how God creates a man in his image...words. And we know how men create men in their image...no words needed...

When did God create Man in his image? Not yet?

-

[But]

When did man create God in his image?

When has he ever stopped creating gods in his image? Lying gods of violence and destruction. Devils.

In the beginning was the word, but the world was without understanding? Climate change is speeding up, the better the economy the faster it speeds. no connection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality