Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 03:21 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,506 times

Advertisements

Look how far we have come here on earth technology wise in just the last 100 years, think of the advancements from 1920 to 2020.

We could be the product of a very real, temporal, carbon based life form from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Nothing "Godlike" about them in claim or form. They may be still in existence (although imagine how advanced they'd be now), died off or taken on a new form of existence we could not conceive or comprehend.

If existing, they would have likely mastered omnipresence, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 03:55 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its not repugnant. Its just not as valid as we can be. To say the god of the bible is all evil is as illy as saying its all love. In effect its fighting a fairy tale with a fairy tale. Good in elementary school, but grown ups need not apply.

Believing in something more but not more deities is basically the most valid statement of belief we have today. There are not many reasons to just deny it. In fact, I don't see any reason except some type of ax to grind against religion.

I love the the counter claim "oh, you must really want a god if you say that." thats as funny as saying "yeah, the bible is the word of god."

I should clarify, I 1000% do NOT believe in the Bible-god, therefore it'd be impossible from my standpoint to believe it is evil. It tried to state I DO believe in some kind of Higher Intelligent Being, and I believe that this intelligent is demonstrating that it is evil, not by any action but strictly by inaction. If it was impotent it wouldn't be God. But for it to create and sustain the universe from imploding it must be powerful enough to end the most egregious forms of suffering. If it doesn't, whatever it is that makes it evil in my opinion.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:04 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I should clarify, I 1000% do NOT believe in the Bible-god, therefore it'd be impossible from my standpoint to believe it is evil. It tried to state I DO believe in some kind of Higher Intelligent Being, and I believe that this intelligent is demonstrating that it is evil, not by any action but strictly by inaction. If it was impotent it wouldn't be God. But for it to create and sustain the universe from imploding it must be powerful enough to end the most egregious forms of suffering. If it doesn't, whatever it is that makes it evil in my opinion.
"I 1000% do NOT believe in the Bible-god"

Nice hyperbole!

Several militant atheists on R&S have expressed something similar to this...

I'm interested to know how many atheists on R&S would convert to Christianity if they were somehow convinced it's true. Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
Atheism As A REJECTION OF--Not Disbelief In--An Evil God-some-reject-christianity2b.png  

Last edited by Iwasmadenew; 04-23-2020 at 04:13 PM..

Old 04-23-2020, 04:16 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I'm interested to know how many atheists on R&S would convert to Christianity if they were somehow convinced it's true.
For the sake of clarity, you might want to specify which Christian denomination you mean.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:35 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If you're trying to quote other members, go look in the Rules thread for some tips so you can do it correctly.

I did. Didn't see any rules actually.
Also, "please" would be nice.
Anger do I feel in you?

Is it really that much of significance, how it is done? To warrant scolding?

Old 04-23-2020, 04:36 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,327 times
Oh boy

Old 04-23-2020, 04:39 PM

50,778 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
For all my years of atheism, I was open to the possibility that there could be some entity or other that could perhaps be described as "God". Then I came to R&S and the Christians convinced me there is no such thing as a god, let alone a bible God.

I used to be convinced that there really was a man named 'Jesus' - Yeshua actually - but again, between Harry, Trans and many more plus the Christians who insist on presenting irrational arguments, convinced me that the man himself likely never existed.
I do believe there was a man Jesus. I believe he probably acted as a teacher.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:43 PM

50,778 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

I'm interested to know how many atheists on R&S would convert to Christianity if they were somehow convinced it's true. Thoughts?

I believe it was you who asked this before, I think within the last month.

I would. But you folks -- and particularly you with your heavy-handedness in discussions -- have struck out so very many times.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:52 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
For the sake of clarity, you might want to specify which Christian denomination you mean.
Biblical Christianity, which emphasizes a relationship with Christ (personal creator God).

Old 04-23-2020, 05:07 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,439 times
Quote:
Biblical Christianity, which emphasizes a relationship with Christ (personal creator God).
You do know there are different kinds of Biblical Christianities, many with wildly ranging beliefs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality