Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 08:03 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I didn't feel like paying to access the full paper.
It's a free paper - https://arxiv.org/pdf/1006.4053.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 08:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
If we are part of a computer program - or some alien high school kid's chemistry experiment - I just hope we have an empathetic programmer/alien kid.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:10 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
"I 1000% do NOT believe in the Bible-god"

Nice hyperbole!

Several militant atheists on R&S have expressed something similar to this...

I'm interested to know how many atheists on R&S would convert to Christianity if they were somehow convinced it's true. Thoughts?

There's no veridical truth in your insistence the Bible god is the true God, New. Yours is just a garden-variety assertion like we regularly see from you and other fundies. There's no veridical truth in what I say either. It's just my belief based on my observations. My observation is that there IS a Higher Power based on the complexity of the human genome. But I also observe that your Bible god does not answer prayers and this Higher Intelligence I believe in doesn't answer prayer either. But this Being has to possess immense power to create the universe. Yet we witness the most vile horrors being perpetrated on the most vulnerable and innocent among us, namely little children, who must in some part of their being wonder why atrocities are being foisted on them continuously when they pray and pray for rescue. This to me is at the very core of why I insist this Higher Intelligence at best is cold and uncaring and at worst is pure evil.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:46 PM

1,751 posts, read 753,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Interesting post. I'd summarize my position as:

1. I no longer believe in "a god".
2. I definitely don't believe in biblegod, but perhaps there is some other god that operates differently than the bible indicates, and who may be deistic.
3. I could be wrong, but none of the dimwitted christian posts I see on this forum are convincing me, and in fact, they push me further and further away from remaining open-minded about it.

1. That is your freewill right and it doesn't diminish you as a human being. Did you know that Jesus met people of other religions and he never condemned them, never argued theology, and he praised their good deeds to others. The people he criticized on religion were groups in his own religion that were harsh and imposing on others.

https://www.evangelicalsforsocialact...her-religions/

2. That is possible. Some historians say that much of the Old Testament was actually taken as figurative by people thousands of years ago and has since became more literal for some. If God truly gives us freewill, there has to be some level of deism at least partially, I would think.

3. Sure, I am a little bit dimwitted, I've been called "Jesus-girl" before, but the teachings of Jesus make sense to me. We are to love and serve our neighbors and by doing so we honor God. It is our duty to realize how precious life is and then seek to improve others' lives and ameliorate their sufferings. God created us all in his own image so therefore we are all different reflections of God with a divine spark, equal before God - so we must pursue equality here on earth.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:48 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
1. That is your freewill right and it doesn't diminish you as a human being. Did you know that Jesus met people of other religions and he never condemned them, never argued theology, and he praised their good deeds to others. The people he criticized on religion were groups in his own religion that were harsh and imposing on others.

3. Sure, I am a little bit dimwitted, I've been called "Jesus-girl" before, but the teachings of Jesus make sense to me. We are to love and serve our neighbors and by doing so we honor God. It is our duty to realize how precious life is and then seek to improve others' lives and ameliorate their sufferings. God created us all in his own image so therefore we are all different reflections of God with a divine spark, equal before God - so we must pursue equality here on earth.
1. Then how to you justify proselytizing?

3. Actually, in your posts I find you to be something I like -- a thinking christian.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:01 PM

1,751 posts, read 753,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then how to you justify proselytizing?
Well, I don't justify forcing anyone to be a certain kind of religion. That goes against God-given freewill and it goes against pacifism. I believe, Jesus wants me to honor the freewill of others and do so non-violently.

However, I think that Jesus is the embodiment of loving and serving your fellow humans. To me, to truly believe in Jesus is to believe in loving and serving others. True belief in morals is actions, not thoughts. With this definition I think anyone, even atheists can "believe" in Jesus, if not as the son of God, but as the positive actions of serving with love.

With that definition, I have no problem trying to make converts in a peacefully positive way.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:04 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
too many big words for me.

I wrote my own abstract.
"God exists, now shut up."

Old 04-23-2020, 09:07 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Well, I don't justify forcing anyone to be a certain kind of religion. That goes against God-given freewill and it goes against pacifism. I believe, Jesus wants me to honor the freewill of others and do so non-violently.

However, I think that Jesus is the embodiment of loving and serving your fellow humans. To me, to truly believe in Jesus is to believe in loving and serving others. True belief in morals is actions, not thoughts. With this definition I think anyone, even atheists can "believe" in Jesus, if not as the son of God, but as the positive actions of serving with love.

With that definition, I have no problem trying to make converts in a peacefully positive way.
But that is disrespecting the belief systems of others.

As a Thai person I can choose to be loving and serve my fellow human beings. It has nothing to do with Jesus.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:10 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Do you know what I mean when I say we are in the image of the PT?
Perhaps we all look like PT109, JFK's PT boat in WWII.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:10 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
"I'm interested to know how many atheists on R&S would convert to Christianity if they were somehow convinced it's true. Thoughts?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There's no veridical truth in your insistence the Bible god is the true God, New. Yours is just a garden-variety assertion like we regularly see from you and other fundies. There's no veridical truth in what I say either. It's just my belief based on my observations. My observation is that there IS a Higher Power based on the complexity of the human genome. But I also observe that your Bible god does not answer prayers and this Higher Intelligence I believe in doesn't answer prayer either. But this Being has to possess immense power to create the universe. Yet we witness the most vile horrors being perpetrated on the most vulnerable and innocent among us, namely little children, who must in some part of their being wonder why atrocities are being foisted on them continuously when they pray and pray for rescue. This to me is at the very core of why I insist this Higher Intelligence at best is cold and uncaring and at worst is pure evil.

answer the question please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality