Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 02:08 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
My view is not an estimate, it is based on what we know.
The ratio of dark energy and matter is irrelevant to how confident we should be in our beliefs (unless you like non-sequiturs).
Since the basis for your data (the amount of measurable data in the Urn) is what science has and can measure and that basis is <5% of our entire Urn (Reality), Your favorite probabilities should tell you how ridiculous your assertions are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 03:27 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since the basis for your data (the amount of measurable data in the Urn) is what science has and can measure and that basis is <5% of our entire Urn (Reality), Your favorite probabilities should tell you how ridiculous your assertions are.
Are you claiming that prior to the discovery of dark matter science could measure 100% of everything? The measurement of the increasing distance between the North American and Eurasia plate can only be measured within 5% accurracy?

And if we can ever measure dark matter and still not find your God will you still proclaim him as a fact?

Old 06-04-2020, 03:29 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Are you claiming that prior to the discovery of dark matter science could measure 100% of everything? The measurement of the increasing distance between the North American and Eurasia plate can only be measured within 5% accurracy?

And if we can ever measure dark matter and still not find your God will you still proclaim him as a fact?
yes, because his god is the fields expressing the information. They will still be there.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:57 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
I'm one of the 100% level of confidence in Christianity, is that I to have an actual knowing through the internal witness of the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ ............... As if there is any question in faith then I just have to think to God, and His Holy Spirit will say things like `target` for thing that are right, and then Holy Spirit could say ``demons `` if the question on faith is error, where then this a warning that demons are trying to make a curse and there is a need to pray and get any demons out fast through Jesus ...... We're Living through God is day to day, where if I pray to raise people from the dead at a cemetery then the doubt -o - meter could be a factor or if I could walk on water, then I know that God is not a show off and I know God probably won't do these things which may an error on me

Old 06-04-2020, 04:06 PM

1,161 posts, read 466,486 times
What I'm actually starting to think, after attempting basically this same thread on two entirely different sites, is that people are much more comfortable critiquing others' beliefs, often in a knee-jerk manner, than honestly confronting their own. Across the entire spectrum of belief and nonbelief, from fundie Christian to New Atheist and everything in between, the majority position seems to me (after pretty extensive observation) to be "I really don't know why I believe what I say I believe or how strongly I really believe it. I haven't given it enough thought to be able to put it into words."

My bullet points were nothing more than the positions to which I've evolved after a l-o-n-g and diligent quest. What anyone else thinks about my particular bullet points is irrelevant to me. I wasn't asking, "To what extent do you agree with my notions of reality and my Christian position?

If you're an atheist, what are the central tenets of whatever you DO believe? Ditto for a Buddhist, a Muslim. How confident are you about them?

Thanks to the few who did seem to grasp the point.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:09 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yes, because his god is the fields expressing the information. They will still be there.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:16 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
I am the what I call intellectual believer. Not in "god", no. But, pretty much, on your scale, Irkl, I am very close, less the last point, as I do not find Christianity in its institutional form any different from any political party or club or else similar.

As intellectual believer I, pretty much, spent 50 or so out of my 65 - soon - body years, seeking answer to question, what is AFTER.

That resulted in tremendous amount of self conviction. I'd say, I am 95% if not more, self convinced. Problem with that is - it is mind knowledge. It is not heart knowledge.
Yet, doubt sure lurks inside. Heck, doubt was in Jesus himself, nothing to be ashamed of.

Will be pity, though, to be wrong.

I'd love to have PROOF. Something, that will make me doubtless. Will make what's left much easier to work through - and it passes by oh so quickly.....

Old 06-04-2020, 04:17 PM

1,161 posts, read 466,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I'm one of the 100% level of confidence in Christianity, is that I to have an actual knowing through the internal witness of the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ ............... As if there is any question in faith then I just have to think to God, and His Holy Spirit will say things like `target` for thing that are right, and then Holy Spirit could say ``demons `` if the question on faith is error, where then this a warning that demons are trying to make a curse and there is a need to pray and get any demons out fast through Jesus ...... We're Living through God is day to day, where if I pray to raise people from the dead at a cemetery then the doubt -o - meter could be a factor or if I could walk on water, then I know that God is not a show off and I know God probably won't do these things which may an error on me
Over the past 50 or so years, there were times that I would've placed my confidence in Christianity at 100% and times I would've placed it at 20%.

I had to step back and ask, "What do I even mean by Christianity?" Once I had thought deeply through that, then I could say, "Yes, I have 90% confidence in THAT Christianity."

I too have seen the Holy Spirit at work in my life. I have experienced events in my life that defy any explanation by me other than miraculous interventions by God. I have experienced a variety of paranormal phenomena strongly suggesting the naturalistic paradigm is false and consciousness does survive death.

My experiences are anecdotal and carry weight only with me, but when tens or hundreds of millions of otherwise sane and credible people report essentially the same experiences, it becomes compelling.

That being said, I never want to allow myself to become dogmatic, to stop seeking the best evidence and arguments even if they challenge my convictions. So I continually ask, "Do I still REALLY believe that? If so, how strongly?"

But to be clear, I try to live my life as though my understanding of Christianity were 100% true and free of doubt.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:19 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Irkl, one that has no doubt, does not seek evidence.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
What I'm actually starting to think, after attempting basically this same thread on two entirely different sites, is that people are much more comfortable critiquing others' beliefs, often in a knee-jerk manner, than honestly confronting their own. Across the entire spectrum of belief and nonbelief, from fundie Christian to New Atheist and everything in between, the majority position seems to me (after pretty extensive observation) to be "I really don't know why I believe what I say I believe or how strongly I really believe it. I haven't given it enough thought to be able to put it into words."

My bullet points were nothing more than the positions to which I've evolved after a l-o-n-g and diligent quest. What anyone else thinks about my particular bullet points is irrelevant to me. I wasn't asking, "To what extent do you agree with my notions of reality and my Christian position?

If you're an atheist, what are the central tenets of whatever you DO believe? Ditto for a Buddhist, a Muslim. How confident are you about them?

Thanks to the few who did seem to grasp the point.
I have no tenets in not believing in a God. Same as not believing in unicorns, that we are in the Matrix, or that Christine is going to attack us with all the Fury Plymouth could put into it.

I think you are incorrect t in your assessment, the majority are not absolutely certain that they are correct. That is a sign of being open minded and willing to assess new evidence or ideas.

Why I don't believe in a God, lack of sufficient evidence. I am 100% certain that this is the reason I don't accept that a God has been shown to exist. But you never asked us those questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality