Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:43 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Do you blame secularism for the woes of society?

My point was not how you read it. My point was that in the past society was worse and also in the past society was more religious. My conclusion is not that religion is bad but that the call for more religion to right the ills 9f society are ignoring that it is not the lack of religion that cause problems. BaptistFundie claims that only more God can work because secularism has no answers. However society is better now for many than it was in the past when there was more religion defeats his claim. I did n9t kean that religion was the reason for past ills anymore than non religion is responsible for the ills of the present.

Will any religious person here agree with my last statement? Do you?
I think it’s not accurate to assume that progress/improvement increases as time passes. The 20th century was the most murderous in recorded history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 09:47 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I think it’s not accurate to assume that progress/improvement increases as time passes. The 20th century was the most murderous in recorded history.
Wouldn't that also be the century with the most christians?

Old 07-09-2020, 07:04 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Wouldn't that also be the century with the most christians?
apply the same logic to everybody phet. Not just Christians.

for example: like, most gun violence is suicide. hmmmm? .... then what other instances are "gun violence." kind of thing.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Do you blame secularism for the woes of society?

My point was not how you read it. My point was that in the past society was worse and also in the past society was more religious. My conclusion is not that religion is bad but that the call for more religion to right the ills 9f society are ignoring that it is not the lack of religion that cause problems. BaptistFundie claims that only more God can work because secularism has no answers. However society is better now for many than it was in the past when there was more religion defeats his claim. I did n9t kean that religion was the reason for past ills anymore than non religion is responsible for the ills of the present.

Will any religious person here agree with my last statement? Do you?
Rational people will look at anti-religious countries and compare them to religious countries.

I look at what type of person went and stopped the bad people in their respective "statements of belief". I see believers stopping other bad believers and having to fight anti-religious people trying to force their way on the rest of us.

so yes, freedom of religion is, by far, better than anti-religion (and my-religion-only states). and the line (the thin grey line if you will) is the between "freedom from religion" and "freedom of religion." They are not the same. but they do over lap quite a bit.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:25 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
To what question?

Haven't enough centuries passed to question if religion as any advise to save society?
Yes. And time and time again we see that the ills of society are to blame for man simply ignoring what God has commanded.
Quote:
The question that should be asked first is if society is better or worse than it was in the past. If society is better now then why save it to be more like it was in the past? And better for whom?

For example people are protesting, and sometimes rioting, for fairer treatment for people if colour from society. One hundred years ago people were rioting to prevent the fair treatment for coloured people. Blacks were murdered, neighbours destroyed and no one was punished. Society being less secular did not help the disadvantaged.
When was it less secular? Then, or now?
Quote:

Is society worse today because we try to address the wrongs or was it in the better in the past where we simply ignored injustices. Rape and murder were worse in the 19th century, women and children had no rights. However the churches had no power over folks so it was better for them.
I would suggest that today's society has every bit as many issues as the one of 100 years ago. We just have different ones.

Today, we pretend the things we do don't offend God. We ignore the problems created by our actions today, and our society simply pretends that murder doesn't happen daily, choosing not to recognize it. That doesn't mean it's any better.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:49 AM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
apply the same logic to everybody phet. Not just Christians.

for example: like, most gun violence is suicide. hmmmm? .... then what other instances are "gun violence." kind of thing.
You're missing the point, as usual.

This goes back to another post, may even be in another thread (but yesterday) that it is unwise for christians -- or for that matter, anyone -- to play the numbers game in regards to religion. Numbers don't make something right or wrong.

That's all I have to say on this matter with you. If you go on with this, you'll be talking with yourself.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:11 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. And time and time again we see that the ills of society are to blame for man simply ignoring what God has commanded.

I would suggest that today's society has every bit as many issues as the one of 100 years ago. We just have different ones.

Today, we pretend the things we do don't offend God. We ignore the problems created by our actions today, and our society simply pretends that murder doesn't happen daily, choosing not to recognize it. That doesn't mean it's any better.
I'll go out on a limb and claim outright that allowing two women to marry is indeed better than slaughtering men, women and children in places like Wounded Knee or of having native children attending the Residential School system ran by the Anglican and Catholic churches ( read the history of the Canadian Residential schools 8ts downright disgusting) or slavery or the genocides in Africa or the pogroms of eastern Europe or child labour.

And if you are speaking about abortion, that's just your opinion about God's plans. Is it not true that in the Bible if a man thought his wife was carrying another man's child a drink that caused an abortion was given by the priest?

Also let's ignore what the different religions and denominations think their God wants but look at how we are actually treating each other. Would you be willing to live in a country where God' was followed if the God being followed is the one followed by the Westboro Baptists, or the sects of Mormons that practice polygamy, by Muslims or Hindu or the gods of the Navajo or Hopi? Or a very liberal Christian Church? Probably only how you see God.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're missing the point, as usual.

This goes back to another post, may even be in another thread (but yesterday) that it is unwise for christians -- or for that matter, anyone -- to play the numbers game in regards to religion. Numbers don't make something right or wrong.

That's all I have to say on this matter with you. If you go on with this, you'll be talking with yourself.
no, I have the point. The point is you selectively use logic. You do not apply the same logic to yourself.

Yes, you will not go on, because I am not here to bash Christians only like you.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I'll go out on a limb and claim outright that allowing two women to marry is indeed better than slaughtering men, women and children in places like Wounded Knee or of having native children attending the Residential School system ran by the Anglican and Catholic churches ( read the history of the Canadian Residential schools 8ts downright disgusting) or slavery or the genocides in Africa or the pogroms of eastern Europe or child labour.

And if you are speaking about abortion, that's just your opinion about God's plans. Is it not true that in the Bible if a man thought his wife was carrying another man's child a drink that caused an abortion was given by the priest?

Also let's ignore what the different religions and denominations think their God wants but look at how we are actually treating each other. Would you be willing to live in a country where God' was followed if the God being followed is the one followed by the Westboro Baptists, or the sects of Mormons that practice polygamy, by Muslims or Hindu or the gods of the Navajo or Hopi? Or a very liberal Christian Church? Probably only how you see God.
I include anti-god is statement of beliefs trying to rule the world.

look at anti-religious societies and what they did and how many people they killed. Look at the believers that had to sacrifice their children to stop , not only bad believers, but also anti-god-ers. The numbers over the last 150 years dawn any thing you bring up.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

its does get tiring blaming every believer for the ills in the world. yes, there are bad religious people.

one look at anti-religious societies shows that the united states is just fine. We have room for improvement, that is true, but to suggest that anti-god is the way to run a society is foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality