Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 02:15 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

It would seem that if the Benny Hinn's of the world, or a Kenneth Copeland, are SOOOOooooo sure that their faith will cure diseases, yet when a real pandemic hits, where are they?

Are their any Christians here who still support people like them? Why? And if you do, how do you explain (please don't give us that your lord works in mysterious ways) that the pandemic is getting worse, not better.

If their scheme does work, why have they not gone in overdrive making it work?

Or do most Christians here see them as charlatans? How then do they get so many people donating to them???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 02:21 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It would seem that if the Benny Hinn's of the world, or a Kenneth Copeland, are SOOOOooooo sure that their faith will cure diseases, yet when a real pandemic hits, where are they?

Are their any Christians here who still support people like them? Why? And if you do, how do you explain (please don't give us that your lord works in mysterious ways) that the pandemic is getting worse, not better.

Or do most Christians here see them as charlatans? How then do they get so many people donating to them???

I'm a Christian. I see them as charlatans. I always have. Whether other Christians support them or not, I don't know, not being privy to their financial records.

WHY would people support them? My guess would be that they sell a "feel good" message that tickles the ears, and they're immature Christians who are weak in their Bible studies.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:

it is truely amazing to me that even rational believers would support them.

its like they follow the phrase ...

"thats fine, but just stay out of our way because we are after the same goal."

Old 07-08-2020, 02:49 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:

The simple answer is that they are money-grubbing charlatans. There is nothing Christian about their scam. The people that believe their scams wouldn't set foot in a church where the Bible is actually preached.

Having said that, I've seen Christians calling on them to put up or shut up. I've personally called out churches like Bethel church on FB and Twitter. I've personally responded to Copeland on Twitter. There are well-known preachers that have publicly called them out.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The simple answer is that they are money-grubbing charlatans. There is nothing Christian about their scam. The people that believe their scams wouldn't set foot in a church where the Bible is actually preached.

Having said that, I've seen Christians calling on them to put up or shut up. I've personally called out churches like Bethel church on FB and Twitter. I've personally responded to Copeland on Twitter. There are well-known preachers that have publicly called them out.
well, thinking about it .... believers tend to stop bad believers that are clearly in the wrong. Heck, the numbers leaving the catholic church bear that out. Not fast enough to be sure, but they certifiably do it.

what thinking is allowing these types to practice? And who is responsible for letting them do it?

Old 07-08-2020, 03:29 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
well, thinking about it .... believers tend to stop bad believers that are clearly in the wrong. Heck, the numbers leaving the catholic church bear that out. Not fast enough to be sure, but they certifiably do it.

what thinking is allowing these types to practice? And who is responsible for letting them do it?
What's allowing them to practice? They are just like anyone that goes and gets a palm reading, or their horoscope, or calls up Ms. Sylvia to get a reading, or a medium to find out what their deceased dear Aunt Sally wants to tell them. They're people that aren't willing to listen to solid Biblical teaching but instead want to believe the exciting, fun idea that God is their genie and serves them, instead of them serving God.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:35 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What's allowing them to practice? They are just like anyone that goes and gets a palm reading, or their horoscope, or calls up Ms. Sylvia to get a reading, or a medium to find out what their deceased dear Aunt Sally wants to tell them. They're people that aren't willing to listen to solid Biblical teaching but instead want to believe the exciting, fun idea that God is their genie and serves them, instead of them serving God.
Meh, they just believe that the so called "gifts of the spirit" are still in effect. So they HAVE to believe that healing is still going along with tongues and prophecy and such.

You Baptists get out of that by that claim in 1st Corinthians tells us "when that which is perfect has come then all these things will cease". Then you claim "that which is perfect" means the Bible.

They claim it is after the rapture and the return of Christ because that is when everything will be "perfect".

God should have explained it a little more clearly in his "perfect" book apparently.

He could have inspired Paul to say when the perfect BOOK has come... then all these things will cease. It would have cleared up a lot.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:55 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Well, a) they do do their rituals, plenty seen on TV and YouTube and b) they do have certain purpose, to be honest. In the world that is scared s-ss to die (like everyone will live forever, right), it is sort of psychotherapy. People grasp tp sharp blade, when drowning, least to say - to empty straw, like those sermons. Also, c) they do have effect on some. Self conviction and self hypnosis does next to magical healing.

Otherwise, plague is from god anyway, how can they go against its will....

Old 07-08-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, a) they do do their rituals, plenty seen on TV and YouTube and b) they do have certain purpose, to be honest. In the world that is scared s-ss to die (like everyone will live forever, right), it is sort of psychotherapy. People grasp tp sharp blade, when drowning, least to say - to empty straw, like those sermons. Also, c) they do have effect on some. Self conviction and self hypnosis does next to magical healing.

Otherwise, plague is from god anyway, how can they go against its will....
I get that part. But they also seem to the ones that want to push that stuff as mandatory also.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:20 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The Lord God told me that if I listen to him then I will never get the disease, God told here that the solar radiation is killing the virus, which is answers prayer for a hot sunny summer, and God told here that the relay groin demons what spread the virus needs more prayer so these demons will not have virus to spread on people ..... As far as these evangelical faith healer, as the ones in the OP are getting old and out of touch, as people need cable TV to get them and crusades are rare today ... Still, God is busy stopping this menace, but this virus could be back this winter as people don't get their sunny vitamin D and ignore social distancing , as God told here to stock up on cans of food for the winter which people should take note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality