Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 11:02 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I would assume that the vast majority of atheists would find your last sentence to be VERY funny - but actually, it's a disgusting, insulting, demeaning, piece of crap - which you should be reprimanded for.
the point is John, most people end up sounding like their parents.

don't shoot the message, tell him where it is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 11:06 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
While I would like to ask you how you can say it's not difficult to see that there's a Creator - that would be off topic.

So, why did you choose your particular path? OK, you say "God got me out of that and called me to faith in Jesus Christ" but why Jesus Christ in particular? Why not Muhammad for example?
Because God is love, which He showed through Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Just one problem with that. You first have to prove a creation. To put it simply, prove that the universe was created rather than it has always existed in some form or other.
I don't have to prove a creation, because it's evident from what's been created. By "creation" I don't just mean the existence of physical matter, but the organization and direction of such matter. A junkyard has a lot of materials in it, and a tornado has a lot of energy. Yet a tornado going through a junkyard does not assemble a 747. And life is a lot more complex than a 747.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:09 AM

1,378 posts, read 392,675 times
i'm from an entirely atheist family & background. Absolutely nobody ever mentions religion or God till this day. Yet all my life since I was a tiny child The Angel of God has taken me to different levels of Heaven to teach me about Spiritual things of God. The Angel of God wanted to educate me about what reality actually is. So for that reason I am a believer in God & I know God is true. And thousands of times at the end of each spiritual lesson God would show me the future events that will be happening the next day or so. And those events always happen exactly as God showed me they would. That was God's way of proving to me that the spiritual lessons were real & not some kind of dream.

And God taught me far more than religion teaches. Religion is a simplified version of God designed for the masses. When you actually meet God & start spending all your time with God you find that God is much more than what religion describes. And also words become corrupted so that the things written in scriptures are not always entirely precise & accurate, & so they can be misleading. Just one word being altered somewhere in a sentence can completely alter the meaning of the entire book. I've witnessed that with the different versions of The Bible. So I know that no two Bibles say the same thing & so one can be misled if one fails to meet God in person & relies solely on the book to teach one about God.

I don't own a Bible or go to any church, & I don't believe any religion is telling folk the facts about God. So I am not religious at all even though I meet God frequently to this day.

Today God took me to Eden with its Tree of Life & serpents, & made me walk around in its paradise with Jesus. We went to see God's Wife at one point. Then God led me far out of Eden to the earth world which was at the lowest level of the lands. It was all so magnificent & I could feel every blade of grass on my feet as we walked, & feel the magnificent atmosphere around me.

So I know God exists even though I am from an atheist background

Last edited by ocean777; 08-02-2020 at 12:10 PM..

Old 08-02-2020, 11:14 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean777 View Post
i'm from an entirely atheist family & background. Absolutely nobody ever mentions religion or God till this day. Yet all my life since I was a tiny child The Angel of God has taken me to different levels of Heaven to teach me about Spiritual things of God. The Angel of God wanted to educate me about what reality actually is. So for that reason I am a believer in God & I know God is true. And thousands of times at the end of each spiritual lesson God would show me the future events that will be happening the next day or so. And those events always happen exactly as God showed me they would. That was God's way of proving to me that the spiritual lessons were real & not some kind of dream.

And God taught me far more than religion teaches. Religion is a simplified version of God designed for the masses. When you actually meet God & start spending all your time with God you find that God is much more than what religion describes. And also words become corrupted so that the things written in scriptures are not always entirely precise & accurate, & so they can be misleading. Just one word being altered somewhere in a sentence can completely alter the meaning of the entire book. I've witnessed that with the different versions of The Bible. So I know that no two Bibles say the same thing & so one can be mislead if one fails to meet God in person & relies solely on the book to teach one about God.

I don't own a Bible or go to any church, & I don't believe any religion is telling folk the facts about God. So I am not religious at all even though I meet God frequently to this day.

Today God took me to Eden with its Tree of Life & serpents, & made me walk around in its paradise with Jesus. We went to see God's Wife at one point. Then God led me far out of Eden to the earth world which was at the lowest level of the lands. It was all so magnificent & I could feel every blade of grass on my feet as we walked, & feel the magnificent atmosphere around me.

So I know God exists even though I am from an atheist background
exactly. my family is strong catholic and they know I am atheist. We talk, buts its never about religion bashing. Its about evidence for a god thing.

but of course, my family is the type that understands its not the religions fault. They want at those priest in a bad way and they want to know who is going to put them in jail for addressing it and why?

Old 08-02-2020, 11:34 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I would assume that the vast majority of atheists would find your last sentence to be VERY funny - but actually, it's a disgusting, insulting, demeaning, piece of crap - which you should be reprimanded for.

Here is a map of majority religious concentrations around the world. Notice that the concentrations tend to overwhelmingly occur in distinct regions of the world. The reason these concentrations occur in this pattern is because the mommies and daddies in these regions of the world taught their children to believe in the religious beliefs of their parents when the children were widdle.

People are often reprimanded, or worse, when they do not adhere to the indoctrination of their childhood. But, as it sometimes turns out, some people outgrow their childhood indoctrination and have thoughts of their own. And others remain childlike their entire lives.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM

2,448 posts, read 892,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Here is a map of majority religious concentrations around the world. Notice that the concentrations tend to overwhelmingly occur in distinct regions of the world. The reason these concentrations occur in this pattern is because the mommies and daddies in these regions of the world taught their children to believe in the religious beliefs of their parents when the children were widdle.

People are often reprimanded, or worse, when they do not adhere to the indoctrination of their childhood. But, as it sometimes turns out, some people outgrow their childhood indoctrination and have thoughts of their own. And others remain childlike their entire lives.
It isn't particularly difficult to identify the fallacious argument here. We could have a similar map produced that shows distinct regions in which democracies exist, oligarchies, and theocracies around the world. Using the illogic presented in this argument, I would assert that Tired of Nonsense or others here believe in democracy only because they grew up in a democracy and the agents that socialized them believed in democracy as the best system. Therefore, Tired of Nonsense is not a thinking person and "childlike."

It's a dumb argument. One of many that commonly get posted here by atheists. Someone actually broke out the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary explanations" fallacy the other day. Oh Hitch...what you wrought!

Old 08-02-2020, 12:13 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,032 times
I suppose agnostic fits me now. A supreme being that created the universe is unknowable from the human perspective. It can't be proven or disproven. On a much smaller scale, other entities are possible, with and without intelligence. An ecosystem of supernatural entities could influence our known world. What humans can observe and understand about energy and matter is less than what they are.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:29 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Default Any former Atheists on here?

Yes. I definitely WAS for the first 30+ years of my life, but not since then.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:32 PM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
It isn't particularly difficult to identify the fallacious argument here.
OK, which fallacy are you going to use?

Quote:
We could have a similar map produced that shows distinct regions in which democracies exist, oligarchies, and theocracies around the world. Using the illogic presented in this argument, I would assert that Tired of Nonsense or others here believe in democracy only because they grew up in a democracy and the agents that socialized them believed in democracy as the best system. Therefore, Tired of Nonsense is not a thinking person and "childlike."
OK, the false analogy. Styles of government are different to choices in religion.

Quote:
It's a dumb argument. One of many that commonly get posted here by atheists. Someone actually broke out the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary explanations" fallacy the other day. Oh Hitch...what you wrought!
Which you 'refuted' by misrepresenting ordinary claims such as lighting strikes as extraordinary, and not talking about extraordinary claims such as fried fish getting resurrected . You also confused the probability of ordinary claims occurring (for which we have prior knowledge) with Bayesian reasoning about extraordinary claims with no priors.

I did note you ignored the explanation, and pretending it was not refuted does you no credit.

Lightning hits people occasionally, therefore claims such as fried fish getting resurrected does not need extraordinary evidence.

We make dumb arguments because you do not know what you are talking about is ironically a dumb argument.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:38 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes. I definitely WAS for the first 30+ years of my life, but not since then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
OK, which fallacy are you going to use?

OK, the false analogy. Styles of government are different to choices in religion.

Which you 'refuted' by misrepresenting ordinary claims such as lighting strikes as extraordinary, and not talking about extraordinary claims such as fried fish getting resurrected . You also confused the probability of ordinary claims occurring (for which we have prior knowledge) with Bayesian reasoning about extraordinary claims with no priors.

I did note you ignored the explanation, and pretending it was not refuted does you no credit.

Lightning hits people occasionally, therefore claims such as fried fish getting resurrected does not need extraordinary evidence.

We make dumb arguments because you do not know what you are talking about is ironically a dumb argument.
Well, my attempt to get the thread back on topic was an epic fail!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality