Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 06:42 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

This is a wonderful series of "Uncomfortable Conversations With A Black Man", and this particular episode deals with race and religion. Quite thought provoking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BCScklTfs0

P.S., this whole series is great.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:37 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
I always asked my mom when I was young "why don't we go to a church in north Philly. Our masses are so boring. she we have to be careful of baptist, they will try and convert us. That was so funny.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:28 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
People who talk or complain so much about a particular subject, are often trying to hide or ignore their own issues with that subject. Which they are probably in denial about.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Have you even watched enough of the video to even get what it was about (I only watched a few minutes myself)? Or are you just waving away anything that might threaten to dent the ivory carapace that encloses your mind?

Old 07-29-2020, 06:48 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Have you even watched enough of the video to even get what it was about (I only watched a few minutes myself)? Or are you just waving away anything that might threaten to dent the ivory carapace that encloses your mind?
I can't speak for OzzyRules but I THINK what he is trying to say (and I would wholeheartedly agree with him), is that atheists appear to be OVERLY obsessed with religion - or in other words, find a different hobby to occupy your time.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I can't speak for OzzyRules but I THINK what he is trying to say (and I would wholeheartedly agree with him), is that atheists appear to be OVERLY obsessed with religion - or in other words, find a different hobby to occupy your time.
true. but theist have them too. And since your OCD-ers far out number atheism's you guys really need to be addressing them ...hard.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:20 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Thank you. That's the biggest laugh I've had this month.

Try telling the race rights or the womens' equality campaigns that they are obsessed with race and gender and they ought to find something else to occupy their time. Let me know when; I'll come and watch.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
true. but theist have them too. And since your OCD-ers far out number atheism's you guys really need to be addressing them ...hard.
I agree with you - BUT - to CONSTANTLY argue about something that you claim doesn't exist is NOT "normal". If I were to CONSTANTLY post thread "Santa Claus doesn't exist", you would think that I had a few loose screws.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I agree with you - BUT - to CONSTANTLY argue about something that you claim doesn't exist is NOT "normal". If I were to CONSTANTLY post thread "Santa Claus doesn't exist", you would think that I had a few loose screws.
yeah true. we have to try and decide what the persons motives are.

is it about what god actually is? what about the universe gives some people the impression of this larger than life thing?

what claims do people make about god, spirituality, and other things match what we know and what ones don't? can we put them in a reliability scale? relative to each other?

or is it to talk about god so we can stop religion? is it to talk about what god is based on "we feel religion is so dangerous we must minimize anything that puts science and religion together?"

or are we only here to fight Christians and can that be the most reliable position?

Old 07-29-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah true. we have to try and decide what the persons motives are.

is it about what god actually is? what about the universe gives some people the impression of this larger than life thing?

what claims do people make about god, spirituality, and other things match what we know and what ones don't? can we put them in a reliability scale? relative to each other?

or is it to talk about god so we can stop religion? is it to talk about what god is based on "we feel religion is so dangerous we must minimize anything that puts science and religion together?"

or are we only here to fight Christians and can that be the most reliable position?
"Or are we only here to fight Christians"?

For MANY atheists, that appears to be the ONLY reason why they are here.
For MANY Christians, who argue with the atheists, that also appears to be the ONLY reason why they are here. They have the misguided opinion that they are going to "convert" them and make them see "the error of their ways".

In my opinion, neither side is "normal".

Forgive me. I have derailed this thread enough. I'm going to leave it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality