Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 08:38 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ I wouldn't hold your breath
Why should I have to? I didn't create the phenomenon.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:44 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
You are welcome to look into other sources.
And over the years I have.

My own personal opinion is that there are unexplained phenomenon. But that's the problem -- they remain unexplained phenomenon.

It seems logical to me that we can't be the only life forms on all those planets throughout space.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:52 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The same logic also applies to the “theory” that we came from a chimp.

It’s not reproducible.
Wrong on two counts,one a theory idoes not need to be reproduced and two chimps and us share a common ancestor. How hard is science to understand? Why do the same people keep making the same silly errors? It's like for some religion prevents them from learning the simplest thing outside their religion while other equally religious people can readily grasp the meaning of terms as used in science?

Old 08-03-2020, 08:58 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Any difference in the supernatural events in religious texts vs thing like belief in UFO’s, ghosts, etc?
Scientific observation overwhelmingly indicates that everything that occurs has an explainable natural cause. "Supernatural" events; ghosts, spirits, sprites, elves, fairies and the like are assumptions (flights of fancy) made based on ignorance of the natural underlying cause.

UFO's are objects that are unidentified. I have seen a UFO with my own eyes (the well documented "flying V").

Does that mean I have seen an alien spacecraft? Not to my knowledge. It means I saw something unusual that I could not identify. But if UFO's are alien spacecraft, which I thoroughly doubt, they are NOT supernatural in nature.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:04 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Some people (like the OP) hear "UFO" and immediately think aliens from other worlds. But "UFO" stands for unidentified flying object. People around the world see things on a daily basis that are flying and unidentified, and they can't pin down exactly what they are. So the objects get that label. Has nothing necessarily to do with alien life.

We used to use the word "extraterrestrials" for alleged alien life coming to Earth. That helped sort out the alien from the "we just don't know what that is in the sky". But now people get sloppy with words and distort their meanings.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-03-2020 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-04-2020, 05:14 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Any difference in the supernatural events in religious texts vs thing like belief in UFO’s, ghosts, etc?
I would not classify UFOs as 'supernatural'. Beyond the whole they're-only-things-that-are-as-yet-unidentified matter, let us assume that advanced life from other star systems have visited Earth and have been observed by people doing so. Such beings would not be transcending the laws of nature but would simply possess a level of technological advance far beyond that which humanity has achieved.

Now, I do not say this because I am searching for a reason not to reject the idea that ETIs are visiting Earth. While I cannot rule out that possibility, I consider it unlikely to have ever happened, and extremely unlikely to have happened during that tiny window of time that humanity has been able to imagine the possibility of such beings doing such things.

It's just a matter of ETIs being predicated on established phenomena (life occurring, other stars with planets existing), as opposed to ghosts (some completely imaginary state of being, dwelling on some completely imaginary 'plane').

All of that said, I do think there is a valid comparison between ghosts and UFOs in the sense that some people who affirmatively believe in both are demonstrating an inclination to believe in things for which there is no compelling evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
In other words
Absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
Yes, it is.

Absence of evidence is no proof of absence. But it most certainly is evidence, though in a given case it may be that there is more, and more compelling, evidence to the contrary. For example, the idea that dinosaurs are extinct is entirely build around the absence of evidence for extant dinosaurs. So is the possibility that there is a major planet between the Earth and Venus.

If you can't find me hiding in your garage, that's some solid evidence right there that I am not, in fact, hiding in your garage.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Scientific observation overwhelmingly indicates that everything that occurs has an explainable natural cause. "Supernatural" events; ghosts, spirits, sprites, elves, fairies and the like are assumptions (flights of fancy) made based on ignorance of the natural underlying cause.

UFO's are objects that are unidentified. I have seen a UFO with my own eyes (the well documented "flying V").

Does that mean I have seen an alien spacecraft? Not to my knowledge. It means I saw something unusual that I could not identify. But if UFO's are alien spacecraft, which I thoroughly doubt, they are NOT supernatural in nature.
Ive seen a 'UFO' too...mine was just a little gold ball, that was hovering about 3ft off the ground, there was no sounds from it, no propulsion gases, no lights of any kind, (it seemed to emit its own light, but I wouldnt say it was glowing either.

When I saw this, I knew right away that it was something 'not normal', thankfully I was able to get a picture of it, and it gets even stranger when I uploaded it to my computer, I zoomed in and found that it was not gold colored at all, it had an outer skin of sorts, that appeared to be made up of every color of the rainbow, and while zoomed in, I could make out internal objects, (the weird thing is it looked exactly like a human cell).

Old 08-04-2020, 08:39 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The problem is that nobody is claiming that anybody is "parting seas" anymore or "living inside a fish" anymore. No more "talking donkeys" or and I don't think we have much more "rising from the dead" these days.

That's where it's a little bit different than UFOs, ghosts and stuff. I'm sure people claimed that stuff in antiquity and we still have people who claim them now.

Interesting thread concept though.
You left out the most important one. That one man was resurrected from the dead. Millions of people still believe this happened.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
that is not what the opening post was about, nor is it the topic of the thread.
but I will answer it because it interests me.

i have no need to be convinced of anything.
i would be interested to hear of your experience, and what your interactions with the entity were, and what your impressions of it were, and how you felt about it. i would be interested to hear over time, if you were willing to share, what effect the dragon had on your life, and in what ways.

that is a sincere answer to a rather flippant question which i chose to take at face value because there is actually merit in it.
I refined what I was asking. I speak to my fire breathing dragon every day. I know it exists because I simply BELIEVE IT in my heart that he exists. He is all loving and I feel he provides guidance throughout my life.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Says who, UFO events are super - natural? They are simply un-identified as something known.

Here's quite different subset:

https://www.ranker.com/list/unexplai...les/jodi-smith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracl...Gautama_Buddha

A true miracle would, by definition, be a non-natural phenomenon, leading many writers to dismiss them as physically impossible (that is, requiring violation of established laws of physics within their domain of validity) or impossible to confirm by their nature (because all possible physical mechanisms can never be ruled out).
Yes, they fall under "that are not part of nature or inexplicable by the scientific laws of nature. " We cannot prove that aliens are real, just like we cannot prove monsters are real. At any rate the argument is not whether UFO's fall under supernatural. It's the question of Supernatural of religious vs non-religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality