Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 03:02 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
So we started with Advaita zealot who, slowly but steadily, turned into social rights fighter and, per last posts, is all about political matters and defense of, pretty much, any commonly propagated "injustice" cases, touted by media and politicians.
Great spiritual path.

On a positive side, at least, it's something new in subforum, that was sucking on old posts dry bones for the last weeks and weeks.

Otherwise, as they say in the great state of Tennessee, Been nice talking to you.
Dear Ukrkoz,
Where you go astray is in thinking that spirituality and concern and compassion for others are separate. I did too until i struggled with it.
The feeling of love we have for others, and also for things, your dog, that art work on your wall that makes you rejoice, a piece of music, all that RESIDES in the Atma, your true self. This feeling of love and joy And compassion is the essence of the Atma. It is not its quality or attribute it is IT. And this Atma is not a tiny blob that somewhere locked in your body it is boundaryless, Infinitely vast, it pervades THE UNIVERSE, fills every being, every one of us. So the suffering of others that impels us to act, give comfort, to act unconditionally is the the recognition of the same Atma. Some have limitless capacity to do this, some of us may not be able to give so much. We can give only what we have. Atma is the reservoir we draw from.
Why we do not all have this capacity is possibly because we have not discovered it, it is hidden. As we grow to realize our own true nature Atma reveals itself. Think of compassion and empathy as a muscle, the more you exercise it the stronger and more vibrant it gets.
Be peaceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 03:05 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Dear Ukrkoz,
Where you go astray is in thinking that spirituality and concern and compassion for others are separate. I did too until i struggled with it.
The feeling of love we have for others, and also for things, your dog, that art work on your wall that makes you rejoice, a piece of music, all that RESIDES in the Atma, your true self. This feeling of love and joy And compassion is the essence of the Atma. It is not its quality or attribute it is IT. And this Atma is not a tiny blob that somewhere locked in your body it is boundaryless, Infinitely vast, it pervades THE UNIVERSE, fills every being, every one of us. So the suffering of others that impels us to act, give comfort, to act unconditionally is the the recognition of the same Atma. Some have limitless capacity to do this, some of us may not be able to give so much. We can give only what we have. Atma is the reservoir we draw from.
Why we do not all have this capacity is possibly because we have not discovered it, it is hidden. As we grow to realize our own true nature Atma reveals itself. Think of compassion and empathy as a muscle, the more you exercise it the stronger and more vibrant it gets.
Be peaceful.
That is true, it relates directly to religion and spirituality. How we treat people around us (in deed all life) is at the heart of religion and spirituality truths.

it reminds me of the story of Buddha holding the flower. Well, I think it was him, it could have been the great white buffalo too, I get them all mixed up.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:10 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Wink The ignorant flourish, here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i had to look up "inimical"
harmful, injurious, detrimental, damaging, hurtful, dangerous, destructive, opposed, hostile

oh. so the opening post is
another anti-religion rant.

and dismissed as such.
Not a total loss if you learned a new (to you) word.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:24 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
According to statistics there are around 30 -50 % of Women attend Christian churches than men, where there are 100-200% more men than women who are atheist and agnostic, and then 30% more men than women of Muslim and 10% more Jewish men than women. .................... So if women are being treated wrong like some belief then it would be where the statistics are more for men dominance, or bad apple group faiths groups.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:16 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
According to statistics there are around 30 -50 % of Women attend Christian churches than men, where there are 100-200% more men than women who are atheist and agnostic, and then 30% more men than women of Muslim and 10% more Jewish men than women. .................... So if women are being treated wrong like some belief then it would be where the statistics are more for men dominance, or bad apple group faiths groups.
And you can point to one male atheist saying women can not be atheists?

Old 08-10-2020, 04:29 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There have always been some women, louder and more determined than men, who Wish to stop any reform in women’s lives. Their motivations are different. Men simply do not want to yield their power, In the case of religion, and their white privilege in the case of racist policies against Black people and sexist policies against women
Some women on the other hand are willing to fight against their own interest. Some Black people too.
In the case of women against women the reasons are not that complex, the most important being their identity wrapped up in these constructed values of motherhood, wife-liness, “ feminity†and ‘feminie intuition’ and other such pathologies. Some differences in the way men and women act are true but entrenched due to the weaker position women occupied due to their physical strength in the times hunting and gathering for survival, when their only power resided in their ability to bear children, to produce more hunters and gatherers.
Since this is about women and religion and not womens' rights, per se, let me observe that some kind of theist -think appears to be involved. Namely anyone who wants to observe some kind of religious restriction should be free to, but they are out of line if they demand that others adhere to it as well. This is why religions with political power are such a problem.

Btw. I thought Tzaph's posts with some explanatory defenitions was quite handy as reference, though it didn't seem to make a point.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:38 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
And you can point to one male atheist saying women can not be atheists?
Oh, there have been a few attempts to portray atheism as a 'boys' club'. If that was the case in the beginning it has changed with a lot of very good female representatives. And I notice nothing in the way of man -bashing, too. There were reports of women in atheist meetings berating the assembly for not making womens' rights an Issue with atheism, and of course there was the 'elevatorgate' business which I thought was deliberately magnified in an effort to discredit atheism. But largely with the women In atheism (as they can be if they want) the gender war doesn't seem to exist.

It's true that we don't have a lot of high profile atheist spokebods that are women, but I hope that we will.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:38 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Since this is about women and religion and not womens' rights, per se, let me observe that some kind of theist -think appears to be involved. Namely anyone who wants to observe some kind of religious restriction should be free to, but they are out of line if they demand that others adhere to it as well. This is why religions with political power are such a problem.
Absolutely, Arq. Forcible religious conversion has been a human rights violation throughout history. I just don't get why anyone who would not want the beliefs of someone else's religion foisted upon them, nevertheless sees nothing wrong with foisting their own religion's beliefs on others.

You atheists may not like us religious folk very much, but I'm one Jewish lady who appreciatively thanks y'all for drawing a line between religion and what ought to remain secular within society at large.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:

Btw. I thought Tzaph's posts with some explanatory defenitions was quite handy as reference, though it didn't seem to make a point.
you know trans ... your religious stuff is spot on.

to bad you have to use your political agenda to evaluate god claims. If you would just dump the crusader to america to save us from ourselves mind set you would might be ok.

That anti-god for social change is just weak.
Your anti-religious stuff is as reliable as it gets.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:51 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:

Whatever. What is theistic per se about freedom to practice religion as long your practice Does not violate other’s freedom, freedom as defined by the constitution, or human rights?
The point is, wether you like it or not, how religion, through their ardent believers, steps into the arena of human rights and defines what woman means, that they fit into some constructed idea of feminity, like they are somehow fundamentally different from men, and disregard the effect of evolution. No mater what religion does that once these thoughts are in the public space, spoken with some authority as either an academic or religious leader, that thought is open for criticism, because such thoughts are the basis for discrimination. Sure there are ways to silence such discussions because religion forbids it if you are within it or some other power to close it shut.

Tzaph made many points none of them addressing the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality