Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2020, 04:07 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Any nitwit knows religion does some good in the world. Look at the prison population. Murderers, robbers and rapists now forsaking crime for Jesus--for how long is anyone's guess--but at least they're making a grand gesture to change their lives and do good from now on. We have to look however at how many return to crime once they're out of prison.
It's crazy to think that you should blame religion if a prisoner goes back to crime. (Sorry if I misunderstood you.)

Why wouldn't anyone consider the fact that the prisoner was not religious when he committed his original crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 04:11 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's crazy to think that you should blame religion if a prisoner goes back to crime. (Sorry if I misunderstood you.)

Why wouldn't anyone consider the fact that the prisoner was not religious when he committed his original crimes.
The "fact"? How about the fact that over 60% of prisoners in America are self-professed christians?

Old 08-17-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The "fact"? How about the fact that over 60% of prisoners in America are self-professed christians?
Before you give me your "statistics" I would love to see the way that data was collected.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Before you give me your "statistics" I would love to see the way that data was collected.
Certainly more scientifically that what you do: "Why wouldn't anyone consider the fact that the prisoner was not religious when he committed his original crimes".

Old 08-17-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Certainly more scientifically that what you do: "Why wouldn't anyone consider the fact that the prisoner was not religious when he committed his original crimes".
I was actually responding to the previous statement concerning those prisoners who become reformed in prison and turn to Jesus.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I was actually responding to the previous statement concerning those prisoners who become reformed in prison and turn to Jesus.
Oh, and did you present data about that and discuss how the data was collected?

Why do you want atheists to provide data collection details, when you folks wanna just feel things in your hearts?

Old 08-17-2020, 06:51 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
It's well known there are more Christians (by percentage) in prison than in the general population of the US. (There are also fewer atheists.) You can check census data, prison data, Pew Research, or pretty much any other and the same truth will be shown. There are also a lot of conversions to Christianity in prison. It is encouraged there. Make of it what you will. The statistics are easy to find for anybody that wants to see them.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It's well known there are more Christians (by percentage) in prison than in the general population of the US. (There are also fewer atheists.) You can check census data, prison data, Pew Research, or pretty much any other and the same truth will be shown. There are also a lot of conversions to Christianity in prison. It is encouraged there. Make of it what you will. The statistics are easy to find for anybody that wants to see them.
It's because most of the prisoners come from poor and working class backgrounds. Rich people have less of a need for God.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:06 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
It's because most of the prisoners come from poor and working class backgrounds. Rich people have less of a need for God.
Why do you think that? I thought the need for God was the same for everyone.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Why do you think that? I thought the need for God was the same for everyone.
It really is the same. But money can blind people to the truth. The same way that power can corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality