Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 02:57 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
It was? Can you clarify?
Yes, there is no real objective evidence ever discovered, just writings of uncertain providence that he was seen, or that the tomb was empty. Testimonial evidence in other words, blunted and blurred by time.

So really what you have is faith that the marginal evidence is real - either as taught to you in whatever bible was used in Sunday school, or faith that more original sources are "right."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 06:47 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
Yes, there is no real objective evidence ever discovered, just writings of uncertain providence that he was seen, or that the tomb was empty. Testimonial evidence in other words, blunted and blurred by time.

So really what you have is faith that the marginal evidence is real - either as taught to you in whatever bible was used in Sunday school, or faith that more original sources are "right."
I agree. But there are a fair share of Christians out there that believe that the eyewitness accounts are concrete evidence of of a physical resurrection.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:28 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
I just want to know what others think but I also want to know of these people that believe that he was physically resurrected believe it based on faith or evidence.
I really have to wonder if you seriously think you will find that sort of evidence here despite the fact that none exists wherever you might look from more professional sources. The best way to convince yourself one way or another is to seriously look for evidence where it might best be found. That's not here. Unless as I suspect this is more for entertainment purposes, or to see what people will claim to be evidence that really is nothing of the sort.

The sort of thing, on the other hand, is quite easily found in this forum...

Old 08-26-2020, 10:31 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
I agree. But there are a fair share of Christians out there that believe that the eyewitness accounts are concrete evidence of of a physical resurrection.
There are a great deal more than a fair share of religious people who believe all manner of things for which no evidence exists to support such beliefs. Ever talk to a Mormon about Joseph Smith accounts?

What does this tell us?

Old 08-26-2020, 11:12 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,381,127 times
Quote:
Where do you fall as far as your belief in Jesus?
1. Do you believe Jesus was divine and was resurrected in a physical form? If yes, do you simply believe this as a theological assertion or do you have actual evidence that you can provide that makes this belief true?
//snip?
Divine, His incarnate body tortured/died; resurrected into glorified form; Living Bread come down from Heaven present even today & dwelling with those who Love and obey Him and the Father, right where He said He would be.

Grew up with theological belief, but stumbled/doubted till looking/seeking/needing and finding re: that last part, seeing Him in the lives of those loving/obeying Him. Sealed the deal for me when I got my turn in a protracted NDE - my pov is now from the other side.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:38 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,344 times
For a little bit I was entertaining the idea that Jesus did not exist. I spent a lot of time listening to lectures and researching this, but I just don't see any compelling argument for it. To me it seems you have to make a lot of assumptions to reach this conclusion and the evidence we have is much better explained by there actually being a man, Jesus, who was doing things that created a religious movement.

So I would say Jesus probably did exist, but probably wasn't resurrected.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
For a little bit I was entertaining the idea that Jesus did not exist. I spent a lot of time listening to lectures and researching this, but I just don't see any compelling argument for it. To me it seems you have to make a lot of assumptions to reach this conclusion and the evidence we have is much better explained by there actually being a man, Jesus, who was doing things that created a religious movement.

So I would say Jesus probably did exist, but absolutely wasn't resurrected.

and actually. it doesn't matter if he existed or not anymore. Just assume he did.

It doesn't change a thing.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:58 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
So I would say Jesus probably did exist, but absolutely wasn't resurrected.

and actually. it doesn't matter if he existed or not anymore. Just assume he did.

It doesn't change a thing.

I don't have to assume anything. I have no evidence that he was resurrected or not, so I won't talk in absolutes. I have no evidence of anyone ever being resurrected, so I would place my bets on he wasn't resurrected but I can't prove that statement, so I won't assert it as fact.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:06 PM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:

I make no assumptions, I use what the early texts literally say, or say when the evidence is not conclusive enough. It is the historicist who has to make assumptions such as Q.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:26 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
I don't have to assume anything. I have no evidence that he was resurrected or not, so I won't talk in absolutes. I have no evidence of anyone ever being resurrected, so I would place my bets on he wasn't resurrected but I can't prove that statement, so I won't assert it as fact.
I think your position is fair and reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality