Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2020, 01:59 AM

256 posts, read 112,945 times

Advertisements

Since the natural world is observable at least we know it exists, so it explains anything better than theism. Since god has never been observed or otherwise demonstrated to exist theism explain nothing.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:53 AM

290 posts, read 162,679 times
What's naturalism ? And theism is belief in God right?

Old 09-06-2020, 05:59 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,498,084 times
yeah, people mix the two up. I looks like anybody that believes that the standard model is what we use to check the reliability of people are claiming is deemed a naturalist.

most people don't understand that there is nothing not natural. And if there is a god its as natural as a new born baby.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:21 AM

290 posts, read 162,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, people mix the two up. I looks like anybody that believes that the standard model is what we use to check the reliability of people are claiming is deemed a naturalist.

most people don't understand that there is nothing not natural. And if there is a god its as natural as a new born baby.

What?? Can you use clearer English I'm a bit confused.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by let455_ View Post
What?? Can you use clearer English I'm a bit confused.
do you know what the standard model is?

Old 09-06-2020, 07:07 AM

21,942 posts, read 19,066,344 times
Quote:
the standard model for humanity on the planet at this time
is that 92% of humans on the planet either identify with a specific religion (84%), or on their own (8%) independently engage in prayer.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:10 AM

63,477 posts, read 39,764,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Actually, 72.7 years. So what?
It could be that what gets translated as years was actually moon cycles.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:17 AM

21,942 posts, read 19,066,344 times
Quote:
the standard model in the USA is that 90% believe in God (80%) or a spiritual higher power (10%)
(Pew Research data published 2018)

Gallup data 2017 reflects this also
"The highest level of belief (87%) comes from a simple yes/no question, "Do you believe in God?" which Gallup last asked in 2017."

Old 09-06-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the standard model in the USA is that 90% believe in God (80%) or a spiritual higher power (10%)
(Pew Research data published 2018)

Gallup data 2017 reflects this also
"The highest level of belief (87%) comes from a simple yes/no question, "Do you believe in God?" which Gallup last asked in 2017."
I meant standard model is what people call "naturalism" a lot.

its real simple tzaph. Most people believe in "something more". It matches common sense, reason, and most importantly, experimental physics.

I don't have to like it. That is not a requirement for "how the universe works".

why do you think trans and gang work so hard to keep me silenced? they know I understand exactly what they are doing.

this is not about seeking truths for them. They are here solely to stop religion, stop Christians in the unites.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:10 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,981,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by let455_ View Post
What's naturalism ? And theism is belief in God right?
Naturalism is the thought that the universe (reality, cosmos, existence...) is comprised of natural components and processes. Matter and energy in various forms, and processes governed by laws, such as gravity, electromagnetism, laws of physics, etc. The thought is that this is all that there is, and this is sufficient to explain the universe and everything within it.

Theism is belief in a god or gods, although not necessarily the Christian God. Might be Allah, might be Shiva, might be Zeus or Odin. Might be a vague, ill-defined god. Mostly, but not exclusively, on this page people refer to one variation or another of a monotheistic Christian god. But commonly accepted that there is "something else" in addition to mere energy, matter and physical laws, such as a creative force that may or may not guide natural processes.

Given those two very broadly described thoughts, people tend to believe one or the other. Atheists tend to be naturalists, Christians, Jews, pagans, and others tend to be theists.

There are a few people who try to state that the physical universe is god, and anything supernatural (people flying, talking snakes, resurrections, miraculous healings....) are really just part of the natural world and not actually miraculous.

Arach often writes in tortured English, he is not the best at communicating clearly. He likes to complain that these two groups of thoughts are both wrong, and anybody that adheres to one or the other strongly is radical in some way. He seems to have sympathies with the third hybrid group.

Tzap is a theist. Jewish specifically, but her specific belief is relatively unimportant, as it is clearly theistic.

FWIW, I am an atheist.

My very brief descriptions would be argued by many on this forum, and the specifics of anything I have said will not universally apply to any poster, or group of posters. I thought that your question was reasonable and deserved an unbiased answer, rather than people responding by beating their various drums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality