Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 08:13 AM

506 posts, read 510,567 times

Advertisements

Why is it whenever people post quotes on social media from books other than the Bible, like philosophers or geniuses, that person is "deep"...

but if they post Bible quotes, they are "Jesus freaks"?

Even if the quotes are the same?

People post about karma all the time, and no one bats an eye...

But if you say "You reap what you sow. It's in the Bible", you are called a holy roller and mocked?

Old 08-25-2020, 08:36 AM

15,975 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Why is it whenever people post quotes on social media from books other than the Bible, like philosophers or geniuses, that person is "deep"...

But if you say "You reap what you sow. It's in the Bible", you are called a holy roller and mocked?
Why do you think it is?

Old 08-25-2020, 08:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
If a thing is true, it is true wherever it is found. The source doesn't matter.

However, some Christians - primarily fundamentalists - assume everything in the bible is true. Which is patently false.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:45 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:

It's not really like that. Though the anti -atheist side certainly see it like that.

You see (to take a hypothetical example) suppose a Bible -believer quotes Woolley's excavations at UR and the deep mud deposit. Well, that's legitimate iscovery. But the they go on to quote this as proof of Genesis, perhaps even Woolley himself, but how he meant that was arguable.

Then the quote is going to fail, not because of what it is, but out of ignorance (probably) because the mud deposits are local and peter out fairly soon.

It is this kind of poor use (at best) of quotes from anywhere. They do not use the correct mental approach to use such quotes honestly, because doing so will not support their Faith.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:46 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If a thing is true, it is true wherever it is found. The source doesn't matter.

However, some Christians - primarily fundamentalists - assume everything in the bible is true. Which is patently false.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:22 AM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:

I started a thread a few days ago where I asked for NT bible verses that people thought had meaning beyond the christian world. Quite a few were offered. No one said any such thing.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:19 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:

Deep question...

Not sure how true. Not something I've noticed myself but upon pondering the question assuming it's valid, I wonder if it might be because, we all see quotes from the Bible so often and for so long now, especially common ones like "You reap what you sow," maybe it has to do with the lack of novelty? Originality?

Repeating Bible versus is something most people don't do all that often I don't think, unless they are into that sort of thing. Whether or not they are holy rollers or should be mocked as a result, I'm inclined to simply ignore instead. Again maybe because it just gets too repetitive to the point of diminishing returns. Nothing new anyway. Nothing we haven't all seen countless times already...

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-25-2020 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 11:56 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I don't understand why some people post what is apparently a personal experience they may have had as if it's some widespread or common occurrence.

I've never responded to anyone posting a Bible verse by calling them a Jesus freak or a holy roller. Don't know anyone else who has, either.

I do get annoyed and dismissive when people post only Bible verses in lieu of real dialogue, but I don't call them Jesus freaks or holy rollers.

I'm afraid you're going to have to demonstrate better why you think people do this, OP.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:01 PM

15,975 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:

I think the difference is this:
You reap as you sow is a truism that everyone can agree with, can experience it in their lives. But when you add ‘it’s in the bible” it takes on a whole new angle. It signifies punishment, prophecy, Christian, Jesus saves, all that.
Not everyone is Chistian, not everyone believes the Bible is infallible, and people start focusing on all that rather than the message.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:26 PM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I think the difference is this:
You reap as you sow is a truism that everyone can agree with, can experience it in their lives. But when you add ‘it’s in the bible” it takes on a whole new angle. It signifies punishment, prophecy, Christian, Jesus saves, all that.
Not everyone is Chistian, not everyone believes the Bible is infallible, and people start focusing on all that rather than the message.
Nicely stated. The saying is just as true in Buddhism, but without all the angles you mention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.