Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 09:25 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The difference is that I made that statement based on what the Bible says, not a personal feeling or emotion.
So you don't actually believe it then...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 09:34 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
So you don't actually believe it then...?
Yes. I affirm the Bible. But the Bible is true whether or not one affirms it. And the statements that are contained in it are true whether or not one affirms them to be true.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:59 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Yes. I affirm the Bible. But the Bible is true whether or not one affirms it. And the statements that are contained in it are true whether or not one affirms them to be true.
actually the bible is methophorical story weather one understands it or not.

Its like carrying a 90lb dumb bell to the car and someone saying "Be careful; watch your elbows"

It doesn't mean keep "looking" at them.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
actually the bible is methophorical story weather one understands it or not.

Its like carrying a 90lb dumb bell to the car and someone saying "Be careful; watch your elbows"

It doesn't mean keep "looking" at them.
Makes it easier to ignore if you don't believe it, doesn't it?

Old 09-02-2020, 10:06 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,383,053 times
Quote:
I'd love to hear if you have any verses in the Bible that suggest that we've existed eternally
There is Jeremiah 1:5 and Psalm 139:16

Quote:
, and that we got to choose to become mortal.
However I'm not aware of any teaching/verse on this portion of the statement/question.
The closest concept on this I can personally relate seems to run counter: in my NDE I had surrendered my life/being to The Father for Him to do with as He willed - then kapow He sent me back. It's difficult to explain the combined excitement/disappointment of being 'sent back' , and I still can't. All I know is that I put it in His hands without any hesitation or doubt. Did I do the wrong thing?

Old 09-02-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
There is Jeremiah 1:5 and Psalm 139:16
Now prove that "Knew you" means that there was an eternal past. The word doesn't mean a relationship, as much as it means that God knew us in his mind's eye before he created us.
Quote:
However I'm not aware of any teaching/verse on this portion of the statement/question.
The closest concept on this I can personally relate seems to run counter: in my NDE I had surrendered my life/being to The Father for Him to do with as He willed - then kapow He sent me back. It's difficult to explain the combined excitement/disappointment of being 'sent back' , and I still can't. All I know is that I put it in His hands without any hesitation or doubt. Did I do the wrong thing?
I can't and really won't speculate on a personal experience like that. Sorry.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:25 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes.
we choose to incarnate in physical existence.

yes we are eternal beings.
yes eternity runs in both directions.
so yes of course we existed before we were born.
I agree with you, up to this point.

Quote:
and that is what reincarnation is, choosing to incarnate
again and again
lifetime after lifetime.
dozens of lifetimes. hundreds of lifetimes.
Well, I don't believe in reincarnation, but I do believe in continued growth and progress after death -- just as the same individual as we were here on earth. I'm curious, though... What would cause someone to decide not to incarnate a second, a third, or a twenty-sixth time? And if someone decides not to incarnate again, what would happen then? Would he continue to exist as he did in his final incarnation or would something else happen?

Quote:
i also believe when we choose to come back, that we often stay with the same loved ones. the love we have for specific others is so strong that we choose again and again to be with each other. perhaps in different configurations, such as parent and child, or siblings, or sweethearts.
Interesting. This implies that we not only choose to incarnate, but how to incarnate. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but this seems to imply that your mother could be your mother right now, and then your lover in a different life. I'm afraid that doesn't sit too well with me, but you could be right as well as I am. At any rate, I mostly wanted to discuss our pre-mortal existance (or as you would possibly say, our first pre-mortal existance), so I'll leave reincarnation for another thread.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:40 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Makes it easier to ignore if you don't believe it, doesn't it?
nope, thats not how people like me think.

We take what you say. We then compare to what is going on in and around ourselves. We take the notion to as many people as we can and ask about it.

The most important thing is to take what we think to people that do not think like us and see how it holds up.

Then we attach weight to the statement as reasonable, unreasonable, and may be determined by the situation.

I put your bible in my pile of resources to determine how the universe works. It carry's no less weight than others. But, if I am talking about cooking an omlet, I kind of don't use it.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:43 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,792,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
In the thread, "What Do You Expect After Death?" Pleroo made the following statement:

[My] thoughts at the moment are that we get to choose whether or not to have this physical experience, so if we're here, it must be because we wanted to be, for whatever reason.
I don't agree with this.

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I was genuinely surprised to hear someone say that. I know this is what Mormonism teaches, but I had no idea that anyone else out there might also believe it. Because I thought it would be an interesting subject to discuss, I am starting this thread. I'm sure Pleroo and I don't believe exactly the same thing, but here are my thoughts, just to get the ball rolling.
Quote:
First off, I believe we are eternal beings. That doesn't just mean that we will never cease to exist. It also means that we have always existed -- or at least that the whatever it is that makes up our life-giving spirits has always existed.
I agree with this in part. While I believe that God is eternal, I don't believe that *we* are "eternal" in the same sense. We either always "existed" with God's eternal existence OR, we actually have a beginning of our existence. That beginning may have 'existed' before our human birth, but how long before our birth?

The universe...that is, the physical universe is said to have a beginning. We estimate it's age to be about 13.8 billion years old. Plus, many believe that God created the universe out of "nothing". But before He actually made the first stride toward the physical creation of the universe, the whole concept may have 'existed' in the mind of God.

Does EVERYTHING that God thinks about come into some form of existence other than remain simply an idea in God's mind?

I understand that some people ask, "Why did God drown those people during The Flood? Why couldn't God have simply *POOFED* them out of existence?" Yet, I'm confident that God thought about that. But if He DID that, it wouldn't have worked, according to His Ultimate Plan. So, while God may have thought about the possibility, it doesn't mean it would come into existence, simply by Him thinking about it.

Quote:
Unlike the rest of you, I'm sure, I believe that God, our Father in Heaven, created our spirits out of highly refined matter that is co-eternal with Him, and that He gave each of us the choice as to whether we wanted to take part in the mortal experience.
I don't think that we necessarily had a choice to be born and partake in the 'mortal experience'. I know of many people who would not have chosen to be born, had they known ahead of time, what pain they may have had to endure while here on earth.

Quote:
I'm not really sure how well we all understood what that meant, but I don't believe there is a single soul who has ever been born who did not willingly choose to participate in mortality here on Earth. This means, of course, that human beings had a pre-mortal life.
I DO believe that God knew us before we were born. I DON'T believe that we knew ourselves. I also don't believe that pre-birth, that we had a 'form' that also had a consciousness that we were aware of. So, I don't think that we had a 'pre-mortal life'. We may have existed for many eons before our birth on earth, but that "existence" was in God's mind. Not necessarily as a conscious 'being/entity' before our physical birth.

Quote:
That's all I'm going to say for starters, but I hope this thread will generate some interesting dialogue
Katzpur, as long as you are on this forum, I don't need coffee to jumpstart my mind... Thanks for starting, and yet, a NUTHER thought-provoking thread!

Old 09-02-2020, 10:49 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
We have quite a few posters stating things rather definitively for things that have never been proven and are not even mainstream thought.

Which is okay. We each believe what we believe. But, just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality