Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 03:32 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times

Advertisements

Well, first, you have to accept evolution as truth.
Next, how far back? How about as far as the great genetic bottleneck? When, according to some, there was indeed a handful of individuals left, to re produce entire humanity? Sort of, pra Adam and Eve? Then, of course, question will be - where did their souls come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 11:59 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, first, you have to accept evolution as truth.
Next, how far back? How about as far as the great genetic bottleneck? When, according to some, there was indeed a handful of individuals left, to re produce entire humanity? Sort of, pra Adam and Eve? Then, of course, question will be - where did their souls come from?
Well, first, I suppose we have to accept the logic of ignoring what we do know about the evolution of man...

Next, what's the point if we accept such logic?

Old 09-11-2020, 04:00 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Pardon me. Did you look into evolutionary bottleneck? aka, genetic bottleneck? If this speaks to you, it is VERY scientific theory. As scientific, as it goes. Also, as evolutionary, as it goes. Of course, it is desperately trying to marry evolution and what happened what was it - 70 000 years ago? When humanity, technically, died out?

Old 09-11-2020, 04:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Pardon me. Did you look into evolutionary bottleneck? aka, genetic bottleneck? If this speaks to you, it is VERY scientific theory. As scientific, as it goes. Also, as evolutionary, as it goes. Of course, it is desperately trying to marry evolution and what happened what was it - 70 000 years ago? When humanity, technically, died out?
so you are saying there is not enough souls? to go around? so the whole souls theory doesn't seem exactly right?

Old 09-12-2020, 10:08 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
You are excused, but do note I was suggesting we take into account what we know about evolution. All we know. Not just this about evolutionary bottlenecks that we should also all know a little something about...

Interesting you should mention this, because I was telling my wife just yesterday it's hard to imagine all the critters that became crispy critters as a result of all these fires raging in our state and states nearby. Also imagine how the lucky critters who have lived on the outskirts of these fires survive and take over their role of passing along their genes while all the crispy critters no longer can. All those raccoons, for example, that may have been of a slightly different size or look, now gone, while their cousins continue the evolutionary ebb and flow that results from such natural disasters, AKA evolutionary bottlenecks, slightly altering the evolutionary flow for some species or ending it altogether for others. Like happened to the dinosaurs we should all also know a little something about.

Nothing about any of this suggests we should not take into account how evolution has molded all life forms into what they are today, as we've been able to establish with the evidence left to consider. Just as evolution continues to have it's way today and into the future (long as life on Earth persists despite the odds)...

Last edited by LearnMe; 09-12-2020 at 10:22 AM..

Old 09-13-2020, 05:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
The topic.

The Soul and Heaven in Judaism

Before we are told in carmine.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:33 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Yes, resurrection of the dead, not reincarnation.

From the link...

“... this means that souls will be divided into different bodies.”

As someone familiar with traditional Catholic though, I would say everything I have read is in agreement except for the idea of reincarnation, and the idea of the soul divided between bodies at the resurrection of the dead.

Otherwise very similar.
Constantine the Great land ater the Catholic church removed reincarnation from the New testament and subsequent theology.

The motivation, was that people would behave better if they thought they only had 1 life on Earth.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:50 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Constantine the Great land ater the Catholic church removed reincarnation from the New testament and subsequent theology.

The motivation, was that people would behave better if they thought they only had 1 life on Earth.
Do you have any support for this claim?...

Old 09-13-2020, 09:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The topic.

The Soul and Heaven in Judaism

Before we are told in carmine.
I thought that it was red?...

Old 09-13-2020, 02:08 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I thought that it was red?...
Shhh..it is...I was just trying to make a Difference...

but seriously, the evolutionary bottleneck (of which the DNA bottleneck is a constituent part) as part of a discussion about the soul could be relevant, bet getting on to arguing evolution itself is going off -topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality