Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 04:57 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm not putting this thread in the Judaism sub-forum because I'm interested in a Jewish-Christian discussion on the subject. A couple of weeks back, I ran into a website called www.chabad.org, and discovered within it, a particularly interesting page, "The Soul and Heaven in Judaism." Now, I know from first-hand experience that just because a website contains the word, "Mormon" or "Catholic" or "Muslim" or "Jew," that doesn't necessarily mean that the information in the site accurately represents the teachings or beliefs of the majority of people within that religion. Since I found so much of what this page states to be similar to what I personally believe, though, I'd be interested in having a conversation with a Jewish poster (Richard, maybe, or someone else) as to how closely this information comes to (1) what is taught as official Jewish belief and (2) whether you personally agree with what is stated on the page.

Of course, anyone is welcome to participate, but it will probably take anyone a half hour to read what the article says, and I wouldn't expect that all that many people will be interested in doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 05:23 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, I'm not putting this thread in the Judaism sub-forum because I'm interested in a Jewish-Christian discussion on the subject. A couple of weeks back, I ran into a website called www.chabad.org, and discovered within it, a particularly interesting page, "The Soul and Heaven in Judaism." Now, I know from first-hand experience that just because a website contains the word, "Mormon" or "Catholic" or "Muslim" or "Jew," that doesn't necessarily mean that the information in the site accurately represents the teachings or beliefs of the majority of people within that religion. Since I found so much of what this page states to be similar to what I personally believe, though, I'd be interested in having a conversation with a Jewish poster (Richard, maybe, or someone else) as to how closely this information comes to (1) what is taught as official Jewish belief and (2) whether you personally agree with what is stated on the page.

Of course, anyone is welcome to participate, but it will probably take anyone a half hour to read what the article says, and I wouldn't expect that all that many people will be interested in doing so.
for me, my souls continues in the actions of people that I have come in contact with.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:35 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
In case anyone is interested, one of the first things the website states is:

While there a numerous station in a soul's journey, these can generally be grouped into four phases:

i. the wholly spiritual existence of the soul before it enters the body;
ii. physical life;
iii. post-phy sical life in Gan Eden (the "Garden of Eden," also called "Heaven" and "Paradise";
iv. the "world to come that follows the resurrection of the dead.

What are these four phases, and why are all four necessary?

Old 09-03-2020, 05:43 AM

22,173 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
In case anyone is interested, one of the first things the website states is:
While there a numerous station in a soul's journey, these can generally be grouped into four phases:

i. the wholly spiritual existence of the soul before it enters the body;
ii. physical life;
iii. post-phy sical life in Gan Eden (the "Garden of Eden," also called "Heaven" and "Paradise";
iv. the "world to come that follows the resurrection of the dead.

What are these four phases, and why are all four necessary?
the soul exists before it enters the body.
the soul incarnates in a physical body. like we are here now as physical humans reading this and typing this.
the same soul continues to exist in subsequent incarnations, in subsequent physical lifetimes. that is reincarnation.

every path of religion and spirituality has the "obvious" teachings that are well known and used in daily life. and also the less well-known teachings that are deeper, in the sense of not as obvious, and have more depth.
are the teachings listed in post above part of Judaism? yes they are. are all Jews aware of this? no they are not. do all Jews believe this? no they do not. but they are part of Judaism and very much "official Judaism" rooted in halacha (Jewish law).

asking why the elements named above are necessary is like asking why is God necessary. for Judaism they are part of Judaism. the focus is on how these affect us in our daily life, how we live our day to day life based on these.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-03-2020 at 05:56 AM..

Old 09-03-2020, 05:47 AM

with regards to what you have called "official Jewish belief"
both chabad.org and aish.com are reliable sources for teachings that are grounded in halachah (Jewish law).

you asked about the "why of reincarnation"
from an aish article on that:

"Why is there reincarnation in the first place? Life itself is not unlike the way education works, which is about moving up from level to level as one matures and becomes more intelligent. The educational process that most go through in life is meant to enhance a person’s ability to function in the world, to help people to make most of their lives, and to enhance their appreciation of the need to become responsible members of society.

"Likewise as a person grows up, his or her spiritual capability also increases and matures, though not automatically. Just as the more one puts into an education the more one gets out of it, similarly the more one “puts” into spiritual growth the more one grows spiritually—the more spiritually empowered the person becomes."

https://www.aish.com/sp/ph/Why-Reincarnation.html

sometimes "the reason" expressed in Judaism is that since there are 613 mitzvot we are required to fulfill and complete as Jews, we keep coming back for many lifetimes until we have completed them all. cumulative.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-03-2020 at 06:22 AM..

Old 09-03-2020, 05:53 AM

with regards to a "Jewish-Christian discussion"
I am not going there on this thread or in this section of the forum, because Jews don't proselytize, and Jews don't do comparative religion or competitive religion. Jews don't insist there is only one "right" path to the Creator. Judaism recognizes that there are many paths of religion and spirituality, and that we are all children of the same God that made us all.

for discussion of Gan Eden and resurrection of the dead, happy to address those over on the Judaism forum.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-03-2020 at 06:07 AM..

Old 09-03-2020, 06:15 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times
There are some great thoughts on that page:

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...fter-Death.htm

“... the ultimate purpose of the soul is fulfilled during the time it spends in this physical world making this world “a dwelling-place for G‑d” by finding and expressing G‑dliness in everyday life through its fulfillment of the mitzvot.”

That is a great way to look at life.

Further down I see reincarnation? I did not know that Judaism had a doctrine of reincarnation? Is this truly a mainstream belief of Judaism?

If there is a belief in a final “reincarnation” of the soul in the (transformed) body in the “world to come”, which body of the many occupied during the many lifetimes is chosen?

Old 09-03-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post

“... the ultimate purpose of the soul is fulfilled during the time it spends in this physical world making this world “a dwelling-place for G‑d” by finding and expressing G‑dliness in everyday life through its fulfillment of the mitzvot.”

Further down I see reincarnation? I did not know that Judaism had a doctrine of reincarnation? Is this truly a mainstream belief of Judaism?
Yes, it is

"The root of the word "Torah" is the verb "to instruct". Torah's primary function is to teach us how to live Jewishly, in harmony with G‑d's will. As such, the basic levels of scriptural interpretation lead to a practical understanding of mitzvot and related Jewish values.

"The Torah, however, is a multi-layered document. Many of its deeper levels of interpretation are not readily accessible; and they may not lend themselves to obvious, practical application in daily life. As such, these more esoteric aspects of Torah are not of interest to significant segments of the Jewish population, including some rabbis and scholars.

"Consequently, many Jews are surprised to learn, or may even wish to deny, that reincarnation is an integral part of Jewish belief. But this teaching has always been around. And it is firmly rooted in source-verses."

from article
https://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/arti...ncarnation.htm

Old 09-03-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post

If there is a belief in a final “reincarnation” of the soul in the (transformed) body in the “world to come”, which body of the many occupied during the many lifetimes is chosen?
all of them
https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...esurrected.htm

(resurrection of the dead is not reincarnation.)

Old 09-03-2020, 08:01 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
all of them
https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...esurrected.htm

(resurrection of the dead is not reincarnation.)
Yes, resurrection of the dead, not reincarnation.

From the link...

“... this means that souls will be divided into different bodies.”

As someone familiar with traditional Catholic though, I would say everything I have read is in agreement except for the idea of reincarnation, and the idea of the soul divided between bodies at the resurrection of the dead.

Otherwise very similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality