Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 02:29 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think so. I try very hard not to be, and I've gotten better at it with age. One indicator is that I will attempt to consider the other person's point of view. I may not ever agree with it, but I will acknowledge its existence and understand that another's experience and knowledge can lead them to see the world differently from how I see it.

I know that things are very rarely ever black and white, either/or.
yes, they can apply it to rational people. For example, I am anti militant/fundy think types. That can easily be stated as "I am closed minded" and "not a real [whatever]"

but when we list what is actually being said side by side, that's usually when things have to start being outlawed to make a case or offer group therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 05:16 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, I don't even have a problem with people saying their religion or their denomination within Christianity is the correct one, as long as they precede that statement with "I believe..." or "In my opinion..." or "From my perspective." It's when they state it as if it were a fact that cannot be denied or even argued that bugs me. That's my biggest gripe with people on this forum.
I agree. Aside from what is well -validated facts, of course. Which in itself is often a cause of debate - what is Fact and what is Opinion.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's a very good point.

There's more than one way of looking at it, but one way is that there are two kinds of prejudice. One type is when it's learned by children from their parents or other people like themselves, and based almost exclusively via word of mouth. The other type is when an individual learns through actual interaction that there are things about a particular culture that just don't set well with someone. The former is appalling; the latter at least I can understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A couple of things that a few of our christian posters don't understand:

1. Critiquing a religion is not the same thing as condemning a religion.
2. There is a difference between criticizing a religion, and criticizing the beliefs of a particular poster.
Indeed. Just as there is a difference between wanting a society where no one religion sways the society and a society where Christians are exterminated like Tasmanian tigers.

Just as they can't get the difference between not accepting the god claim and claiming to know that no god could possibly exist. In fact, trotting out prejudices time after time, and not much caring whether are true or not, so long as it bashes atheism.

Mind, BapFun does try to defend his position.

Mightyqueen801 ."..very few people just wake up one fine day and say, "Gee, I'm going to despise this religion today."

Bugger I'm in a tiny minority, yet again.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Yes. And I know there are exceptions. 2+2 will always equal 4.

Or will it?
This man's likeness is in the Atheist hal of Fame ("Good Bad example" (1) side -chapel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysecinv367w

(1) of starting with a Faith claim and trying to fiddle the evidence to make it fit.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:26 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This man's likeness is in the Atheist hal of Fame ("Good Bad example" (1) side -chapel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysecinv367w

(1) of starting with a Faith claim and trying to fiddle the evidence to make it fit.
Taking the fish and loaves story literally is an example.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:27 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Indeed. Just as there is a difference between wanting a society where no one religion sways the society and a society where Christians are exterminated like Tasmanian tigers.

Just as they can't get the difference between not accepting the god claim and claiming to know that no god could possibly exist. In fact, trotting out prejudices time after time, and not much caring whether are true or not, so long as it bashes atheism.

Mind, BapFun does try to defend his position.

Mightyqueen801 ."..very few people just wake up one fine day and say, "Gee, I'm going to despise this religion today."

Bugger I'm in a tiny minority, yet again.
But that's how you get your attention fix!

Old 09-18-2020, 07:29 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Atheists are more close minded. They ask for evidence when it reality, they never truly want evidence. They just want to feel better in their tiny bubble if they find a way to shred the evidence to pieces.

You can present concrete pieces of evidence that a supernatural event occurred and an atheist's mind would never approach it as well let's see if this really is true. The approach is well let's see how I can rationalize the event or discredit the evidence.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:02 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Atheists are more close minded. They ask for evidence when it reality, they never truly want evidence. They just want to feel better in their tiny bubble if they find a way to shred the evidence to pieces.

You can present concrete pieces of evidence that a supernatural event occurred and an atheist's mind would never approach it as well let's see if this really is true. The approach is well let's see how I can rationalize the event or discredit the evidence.
No, it is you who refuses to accept there are more probable explanations that you simply do not like.

We give supernatural explanations a low probability because when we have investigated alleged supernatural claims, they have so far have all been found to be either dubious, or something that is simply unexplainable.

You have no obvious, concrete evidence. And the religious have a long history of faking evidence. One must ask why that is.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:21 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, it is you who refuses to accept there are more probable explanations that you simply do not like.
pot...kettle....
Quote:
We give supernatural explanations a low probability because when we have investigated alleged supernatural claims, they have so far have all been found to be either dubious, or something that is simply unexplainable.

You have no obvious, concrete evidence. And the religious have a long history of faking evidence. One must ask why that is.
Right. So you're open-minded?

Old 09-18-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
But that's how you get your attention fix!
Oh no, I do that by shameless pleading for reps..

Quote:
Taking the fish and loaves story literally is an example.
I may use that as a Disguised version of "Taking the P**ss.."

"You're takin' the loaves and Fish, Mayree Pappins.."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

Denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
pot...kettle....

Right. So you're open-minded?
Trashtalk.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-18-2020 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality