Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 05:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Yes, Arach old mate, old Eusebius did just the same when trying to argue the Black sea flood and when I debunked that, said it was 'Garbage' that was somehow an argument of mine hat he was waving away. Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye have heard it said that arguing with a religious apologist is like playing chess with a pigeon, but I say unto ye all that once you know the rules they play by, it becomes like unto an atheist professor watching blind mice running round a maze trying to find their way out. The scientist knows where it is going, and can simply clock the route.

In any case, none of that proves that dude died, woke up and flew away.

Have a good week end and avoid hugging anyone, until Russia makes their miracle cure available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 06:07 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
we can assume you know I am right at this point. I go further than you because I am not politically based I am "how it works" based.

I put atheist claims (atheist that are advocating for atheism that is) in the exact same pile and ask ...

How does you keep repeating "they are wrong" and "they are dangerous" and "we are waiting to see" and "we are here to stop religion in the united states" effect what you are claiming about how the unversed works?

I actually have cut out the statement "but it has such a low probability." and put it in that same pile. How does it relate to the what we are doing in determining the reliability of a god claim in relation to what we know about the universe?

Old 09-19-2020, 06:54 AM

I think sometimes ... how would ozzy, bapt, and a few others sound like if the were atheist?

then it hits me ... they would sound exactly like [fill in the blanks].

Old 09-19-2020, 09:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
The violently intolerant frequently
give sermons on tolerance to the tolerant
Or if you prefer the esops fable version wolves giving sermons to sheep on violence

Old 09-19-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbplee View Post
Can Religion ever be reconcilable with Science?

nipped for space ...

But I don’t like the use of the word “spiritual” unless you define it clearly. I am spiritual in the sense that I have this awe and wonder before nature. I love James Joyce and T.S. Eliot, I’m moved by Dylan Thomas. It doesn’t have anything to do with God. It has to do with a commonality of feeling prompted by nature and the arts. So I prefer to use the word humanist rather than spiritual. The minute you say you’re spiritual, people automatically start thinking you’re religious.
yes it can. if people use science data to form a belief, it will be a more reliable claim.

Less reliable are people ones that that insist religion and science can't coexist.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Or if you prefer the esops fable version wolves giving sermons to sheep on violence
yes ... advocating for a statement of belief about god is often cloaked, to keep it hidden, in noble causes.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:09 AM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

Old 09-19-2020, 11:19 AM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbplee View Post
<Snipped>
But I don’t like the use of the word “spiritual” unless you define it clearly. I am spiritual in the sense that I have this awe and wonder before nature. I love James Joyce and T.S. Eliot, I’m moved by Dylan Thomas. It doesn’t have anything to do with God. It has to do with a commonality of feeling prompted by nature and the arts. So I prefer to use the word humanist rather than spiritual. The minute you say you’re spiritual, people automatically start thinking you’re religious.
I thoroughly enjoyed your post here and we are in agreement about much of it, but about the bold, I would ask how you know that or why you think it? Our ability to engage in that kind of appreciation is itself such a unique capability unlike anything else we know about in our Reality. How can you assume it came from a Reality that is itself devoid of any such capability? (Please don't spoil my respect for your intellect acquired during this post by using observational euphemisms like "emergence" or some such.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality