Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 11:16 AM

88,676 posts, read 84,998,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
She doesn't say that at all.

You are such a black/white, either/or thinker.
Yes, that's always a difficult mindset with which to have a discussion.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:22 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, that's always a difficult mindset with which to have a discussion.
You're as black/white as anyone I have seen here, in a different way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 11:36 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,222,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Has it occurred to you that may be because you are blind to shades of grey?

Old 09-17-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I don't think so. I try very hard not to be, and I've gotten better at it with age. One indicator is that I will attempt to consider the other person's point of view. I may not ever agree with it, but I will acknowledge its existence and understand that another's experience and knowledge can lead them to see the world differently from how I see it.

I know that things are very rarely ever black and white, either/or.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:06 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
Quote:

I know that things are very rarely ever black and white, either/or.
Yes. And that you're as sure of as anything.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Yes. And that you're as sure of as anything.
Yes. And I know there are exceptions. 2+2 will always equal 4.

Or will it?

Old 09-17-2020, 12:35 PM

50,933 posts, read 24,441,927 times
A couple of things that a few of our christian posters don't understand:

1. Critiquing a religion is not the same thing as condemning a religion.
2. There is a difference between criticizing a religion, and criticizing the beliefs of a particular poster.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A couple of things that a few of our christian posters don't understand:

1. Critiquing a religion is not the same thing as condemning a religion.
2. There is a difference between criticizing a religion, and criticizing the beliefs of a particular poster.
Very good points, phetaroi.

I think some would also do well to remember that very few people just wake up one fine day and say, "Gee, I'm going to despise this religion today."

The fact of the matter is that many people have had very bad experiences that were the direct result of religious beliefs--their own or that of others--and their perspective on those religions indicates this.

Several major religions teach that its adherents will suffer persecution and that they are to welcome it and wear the persecution proudly. This, I believe, causes some confusion wherein some adherents start to see all negative remarks about their religion as an "attack", when in fact it might be genuine criticism and/or anger and disgust as a result of a negative experience with that religion.

Continuing to display or defend the behavior that caused the negative perception in the first place will only further close the mind of one who has had the negative experience.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:39 PM

50,933 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Quote:

I think some would also do well to remember that very few people just wake up one fine day and say, "Gee, I'm going to despise this religion today."

The fact of the matter is that many people have had very bad experiences that were the direct result of religious beliefs--their own or that of others--and their perspective on those religions indicates this.

Several major religions teach that its adherents will suffer persecution and that they are to welcome it and wear the persecution proudly. This, I believe, causes some confusion wherein some adherents start to see all negative remarks about their religion as an "attack", when in fact it might be genuine criticism and/or anger and disgust as a result of a negative experience with that religion.

Continuing to display or defend the behavior that caused the negative perception in the first place will only further close the mind of one who has had the negative experience.
That's a very good point.

There's more than one way of looking at it, but one way is that there are two kinds of prejudice. One type is when it's learned by children from their parents or other people like themselves, and based almost exclusively via word of mouth. The other type is when an individual learns through actual interaction that there are things about a particular culture that just don't set well with someone. The former is appalling; the latter at least I can understand.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:26 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
Quote:

you make good points ... but ... We are trying to talk the risk versus benefit of religion and the reliability of god claims. How reliable are people that have abused by religion in those discussions when it comes to assigning actual weights of the claims?

when does the scarring become so bad that these people have lost sight of what is being said?

just look at the word "God". when a person cringes at the word, that is a real indication that we need to double check that person's situation and past experiences. Not outlaw any god claims that don't fit a political agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality