Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2020, 12:17 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Regardless. If the comments stayed closer to on-topic in this thread, I'd think the thread would be better than average. The in addition to comments don't bother me none...
maybe in the first 5-10 pages?

Old 09-19-2020, 01:36 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know, right? God always gets a bad rap.
It is not God, it is the people who write the books, put down their thoughts, that play the gender roles. Speaking of roles ...

Old 09-19-2020, 02:32 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There is strange relationship between Religion and Knowledge. Often there is an attempt to forbid it. Adam and Eve were banned from paradise for eating from the Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil. Expressing doubt can have you declared a heretic and thrown out. Scriptures warn about teaching to the doubtful, to be silent when approached with doubt and argument. Faith is demanded. The scriptures were kept off the hands of the lower caste. The Vedas were recited orally and passed down from teachers to students. Even the Upanishads requires qualifications for those who approach its teachings.

Do you think doubters deserve to be heard, tolerated, taught? Why?
Do you think only those why approach asking for knowledge be taught?
There was a time when the masses were utterly ignorant, and only the elite had access to knowledge. These times were known as the "dark ages," because the light of knowledge was so nearly extinguished. That which passed for knowledge, because it was so restricted to the few, was often in error. Make believe widely passed for knowledge. Then came the printing press and the rising availability of books. And knowledge began to become more widely disseminated. Then came public schools and universities. And knowledge became even more widely disseminated. Then came the internet and smart phones, and a great divide suddenly became apparent between the knowledgeable and the willfully ignorant. States painted themselves in colors of blue and red. Or in some cases, purple.

We will have to wait and see how that plays out. Historically the wide dissemination of knowledge has brought with it a steady advancement in the quality of knowledge, reflected in the advancement of modern technology. But a return to the ignorant dark ages is not out of the question.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 09-19-2020 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-19-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
There was a time when the masses were utterly ignorant, and only the elite had access to knowledge. These times were known as the "dark ages," because the light of knowledge was so nearly extinguished. That which passed for knowledge, because it was so restricted to the few, was often in error. Make believe widely passed for knowledge. Then came the printing press and the rising availability of books. And knowledge began to become more widely disseminated. Then came public schools and universities. And knowledge became even more widely disseminated. Then came the internet and smart phones, and a great divide suddenly became apparent between the knowledgeable and the willfully ignorant. States painted themselves in colors of blue and red. Or in some cases, purple.

We will have to wait and see how that plays out. Historically the wide dissemination of knowledge has brought with it a steady advancement in the quality of knowledge, reflected in the advancement of modern technology. But a return to the ignorant dark ages is not out of the question.

Or the burning of books.

Old 09-19-2020, 03:11 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Or the burning of books.

Old 09-19-2020, 03:13 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Books? when was the last time you saw a young person read book, unless it's required reading? Information is now acquired through "digital media" and "social media".

Whoever owns them, owns people minds.
Attached Thumbnails
Knowledge and Religion-index.jpg  

Old 09-19-2020, 03:16 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,291 times
Quote:

Too soon to rep, but spot on.

One would HOPE we are far enough along in this progression to avoid a return to the dark ages. But I am not so sure, when I see first hand evidence of thinking that ignores knowledge in favor of superstition and prejudice. For example (without sliding into politics), when I see people explaining that they aren't wearing masks because "this whole pandemic thing is a hoax"... I am at a loss to reconcile (or imagine how they can reconcile) that with nearly 1 million dead and millions more sick. All of a sudden the dark ages don't seem so far away?

Bringing this back around to religion, a fair amount of what continues to pass for "knowledge" in that realm came out of the dark ages (or earlier). That alone should tell us something.

Old 09-19-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Too soon to rep, but spot on.

One would HOPE we are far enough along in this progression to avoid a return to the dark ages. But I am not so sure, when I see first hand evidence of thinking that ignores knowledge in favor of superstition and prejudice. For example (without sliding into politics), when I see people explaining that they aren't wearing masks because "this whole pandemic thing is a hoax"... I am at a loss to reconcile (or imagine how they can reconcile) that with nearly 1 million dead and millions more sick. All of a sudden the dark ages don't seem so far away?

Bringing this back around to religion, a fair amount of what continues to pass for "knowledge" in that realm came out of the dark ages (or earlier). That alone should tell us something.

Yet, and yet. I see a lot of science, if we have to hold it as the authority and I don't, is 'discovering' certain kind of ancient knowledge such as - and I am going to point to Advaita. I am sure there are others, particularly if we look to Philosophy. They are all mingled in them there texts, some gems mixed in there with the crap.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Yet, and yet. I see a lot of science, if we have to hold it as the authority and I don't, is 'discovering' certain kind of ancient knowledge such as - and I am going to point to Advaita. I am sure there are others, particularly if we look to Philosophy. They are all mingled in them there texts, some gems mixed in there with the crap.
there is no doubt they saw some of the same things we do today. I look at "Man came from dust" as an excellent example.

another area is interconnectivity of everything. Now we just proved just how interconnected., in fact, there is no "interconnected" its all kind of the same thing.

and insights in people's behaviors. We, humans, are basically the same so insightful people talking about how people behave is just as relevant today.

That does not lessen the position that we know more today than we did back then.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:

the red flag is when knowledge has to be avoided to maintain a statement of belief about god.

thats when we need to start watching what is going on more carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality