Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 07:19 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
telling is not teaching

tzpah, this is one thing you do a lot that causes friction. I mean no god sake I was agreeing with you there.

Its clear when I used the word "tell"it is on the context of explaining something that needs to be explained.

For example:

When a person asks me "what does 4 stroke mean?" I tell them about the piston going up and down twice to complete four cycles. I am certain of it and IO have no doubt about it.

you alluded to learning styles. there are more than one way to learn. A good teacher is familiar with them. More imporatantly, the teacher is aware of self so that they can adjust the teaching style to meet the needs of the student. For a insightful teacher, its about adjusting how they teach to help the student be the best they can be.

where doubt comes into play is when the student and teacher are talking about designing a new motor or making the existing motor better. then it is a discussion with the teacher acting more a s resource than the expert. The teacher, in affect, becomes just like a dictionary. the teacher recites the "accepted value" and then student and teacher become the same thing while applying the information to the situation at hand.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:25 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
i disagree.
the best way to learn something is to put it into practice and embody it.
live it, breathe it, participate in it, become it.
and be transformed by it.

without the hands on experience of something then it can not be taught
To put into practice one must properly understand the subject. I think the two feed each other, learning and practice. And yet knowledge can can be transmitted only so much, conditioned by the capabilities of the teacher and the fitness and motivation of the student.
Spirituality can be taught. Both teacher and student need to be fit and receptive.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
To put into practice one must properly understand the subject. I think the two feed each other, learning and practice. And yet knowledge can can be transmitted only so much, conditioned by the capabilities of the teacher and the fitness and motivation of the student.
Spirituality can be taught. Both teacher and student need to be fit and receptive.
thats is the most reliable position for an over all description of a classroom. specifics get a little dicey, but it all gets back that base axiom.

to me of course. one can put IMO at the start of everything I post.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
the knowledge of how to light a match, where the matches are stored, and access to the full gas can
is not given to a toddler.

that is about preventing damage.
not about being "unworthy"
Metaphors like that can only go so far. A little knowledge is what is a dangerous thing. I dont see the value of withholding spiritual knowledge if one has it to give. The real danger is lack of discrimination in the student.

Last edited by cb2008; 09-06-2020 at 07:44 AM..

Old 09-06-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It certainly isn't if the class isn't listening.

Look, everyone here expounding a view is 'teaching' in a respect. But I get the point you are making: who says they are entitled to teach? questioning the validity o what you claim is 'arguing' (from the start, I argued that 'just telling -not arguing' was NOT an acceptable excuse for preaching without being called on it (we all know about the desire of Some to be able to expound Their views without any other being allowed - and also how they accuse the Other side of doing the same).

So Arach is expounding his views, and so are you and I. We are all trying to 'teach', and we all have to establish that what we have to teach is worth learning.

But that's the same thing; who decides whom is worthy or unworthy?
I disagree that we are all teaching here. I place teaching at a much higher level than what we do here. What we do here is testing our opinions, sharing it, asking lwhat do YOU think?” At least that is the way I look at it.
That is not teaching. Nor is discussion of a topic.
I agree some are here to preach, but there is always the ignore option.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:36 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
We think alike.
That's one reason I wonder about all these parables of Jesus.
Why are things kept so mysterious...Talk in parables so the dumb ones won't understand, seems to
be the message.
Now, that being said --- I trust there is a reason-- Gurus do the same thing - I do understand if a
person is not ready and is shown too much prematurely --- it can be detrimental.
Oh, what I mean is ---say, you give a precious diamond to a child..they will waste it, lose it,
forget about it - never knowing how precious and valuable it was.
In the spiritual sense this person being shown something valuable to their spiritual growth, say,
even 'the Key' - 'a Key' - to their happiness -they don't understand it -
try it haphazardly and toss it ---taking years and years and years to even open to it again ---
since it didn't 'work' earlier.
I call that detrimental to their growth or slowing their 'blossoming into more wisdom', (if you don't care for the word growth).

Old 09-06-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Oh, what I mean is ---say, you give a precious diamond to a child..they will waste it, lose it,
forget about it - never knowing how precious and valuable it was.
In the spiritual sense this person being shown something valuable to their spiritual growth, say,
even 'the Key' - 'a Key' - to their happiness -they don't understand it -
try it haphazardly and toss it ---taking years and years and years to even open to it again ---
since it didn't 'work' earlier.
I call that detrimental to their growth or slowing their 'blossoming into more wisdom', (if you don't care for the word growth).
"Precious"

When that diamond brings joy to the child as it laughs while flushing it down the toilet ... that is the most precious time that diamond (and me) ever experienced.

to me anyway ... but I am a sucky atheist.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
We think alike.
That's one reason I wonder about all these parables of Jesus.
Why are things kept so mysterious...Talk in parables so the dumb ones won't understand, seems to
be the message.
Now, that being said --- I trust there is a reason-- Gurus do the same thing - I do understand if a
person is not ready and is shown too much prematurely --- it can be detrimental.
Often what the gurus say - “You are That. Kingdom of God is within you. Brhman is the only truth, everything else is unreality - are invitations to inquire. The more you Inquire, study, learn, layers of meaning surfaces.
I dont think thete is anything like taught too much. As we evolve we have those Aha moments. See, even that can seem obscure.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Often what the gurus say - “You are That. Kingdom of God is within you. Brhman is the only truth, everything else is unreality - are invitations to inquire. The more you Inquire, study, learn, layers of meaning surfaces.
I dont think there is anything like taught too much. As we evolve we have those Aha moments. See, even that can seem obscure.
How about taught too soon - that was my meaning.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:48 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Metaphors like that can only go far. A little knowledge is what is a dangerous thing. I dont see the value of withholding spiritual knowledge if one has it to give. The real danger is lack of discrimination in the student.
think of it as prerequisites.
the student lacks the discrimination to determine if they have met the prerequisites.
the instructor gauges it.

and sometimes the material itself gauges it. it remains opaque
to those not ready, willing, and able to engage with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality