Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2021, 03:27 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
NPR is not credible. The shrinking in churchgoing and membership, appears in the news and talk radio weekly.
NPR is reporting on a PEW study.
Do you really think they dishonestly changed the numbers and what PEW found?
I'll tell ya what...here is the study, directly from PEW:
https://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/...ons-2010-2050/

Like it or not Salty...you are wrong. The "wind" of Theism/Religion in this world is getting stronger, not weaker. That's just the fact of the matter.
I'm trying to educate you...because you obviously do not know the facts. If you did...you would not have gotten it completely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 03:42 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
We are so low in the order...if humans didn't exist (and they ARE very new to the system) at all, the system (God) would function just fine...probably "smoother" in some ways at the micro level.
I don't see a need to call the system G-O-D... but I can certainly agree with all the rest. We are new to the system, have been here a MUCH shorter time than many of its other components.... but are managing to do more in that short time to disrupt/damage/destroy the system than any other component. Well, I suppose you could say that natural occurrences like wildfires, volcanos, earthquakes and floods are all capable of some serious disruption/damage/destruction. But we can't fault them for doing the job assigned to them by nature, and the natural cycles of rebirth and renewal that follow their actions. We can fault ourselves for putting the tools at our disposal to such destructive use, because that's more of a choice. Unless someone wants to argue that this is *OUR* special purpose (... I sure hope not)?

In any event, I'm sure you are correct.... The system would do just fine without us, like it did for a few billion years before we arrived.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:06 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
again ... no data ... just bull horm and drums.

bad religion, bad theist, over and over and over and over and over and over ...
I just read the last 24 posts that you made. Not a single piece of data. Repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly throwing out the term "reality stack" is not data.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
I don't see a need to call the system G-O-D... but I can certainly agree with all the rest. We are new to the system, have been here a MUCH shorter time than many of its other components.... but are managing to do more in that short time to disrupt/damage/destroy the system than any other component. Well, I suppose you could say that natural occurrences like wildfires, volcanos, earthquakes and floods are all capable of some serious disruption/damage/destruction. But we can't fault them for doing the job assigned to them by nature, and the natural cycles of rebirth and renewal that follow their actions. We can fault ourselves for putting the tools at our disposal to such destructive use, because that's more of a choice. Unless someone wants to argue that this is *OUR* special purpose?

In any event, I'm sure you are correct.... The system would do just fine without us, like it did for a few billion years before we arrived.
I understand that some may not refer to the system in totality (ALL) by the title "God"...and that's cool that anyone may not perceive it as such.
I look at it from the point of what comports with observations of how The Universe works.
Because ALL THE ENERGY/MATTER THAT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED (ALL) has the attributes definitive of a God Entity, I view it as such.
~~ALL and that which comprises it, has rearranged itself so as to produce everything that has ever existed in Reality...from the smallest particle to the biggest Galaxy.---SOURCE/CREATOR
~~ALL and that which comprises it, possess knowledge of everything that is known at any given time.---ALL KNOWING
~~ALL and that which comprises it, occupies all places in Reality.---ALL PRESENT
~~ALL and that which comprises it, accounts for all the energy and force that exists in, acts upon, and controls, Reality.---ALL POWERFUL
Everything and anything that occurs necessarily happens by & through ALL THAT EXISTS.
I could go on...but these are the attributes known to be definitive, demonstrative, and indicative of a God Entity.
Religions use metaphorical and allegorical characters and stories to describe all of this.
ALL is as "Godly" as it gets...from ANY reasonable assessment...and certainly merits the title "GOD" in my view.
If ALL doesn't cut it as GOD, nothing does...and we may as well not even have such a word/term/title.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I understand that some may not refer to the system in totality (ALL) by the title "God"...and that's cool that anyone may not perceive it as such.
I look at it from the point of what comports with observations of how The Universe works.
Because ALL THE ENERGY/MATTER THAT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED (ALL) has the attributes definitive of a God Entity, I view it as such.
~~ALL and that which comprises it, has rearranged itself so as to produce everything that has ever existed in Reality...from the smallest particle to the biggest Galaxy.---SOURCE/CREATOR
~~ALL and that which comprises it, possess knowledge of everything that is known at any given time.---ALL KNOWING
~~ALL and that which comprises it, occupies all places in Reality.---ALL PRESENT
~~ALL and that which comprises it, accounts for all the energy and force that exists in, acts upon, and controls, Reality.---ALL POWERFUL
Everything and anything that occurs necessarily happens by & through ALL THAT EXISTS.
I could go on...but these are the attributes known to be definitive, demonstrative, and indicative of a God Entity.
Religions use metaphorical and allegorical characters and stories to describe all of this.
ALL is as "Godly" as it gets...from ANY reasonable assessment...and certainly merits the title "GOD" in my view.

If ALL doesn't cut it as GOD, nothing does...and we may as well not even have such a word/term/title.
The bolded -- okay. Sounds good to me.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:54 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
Please don't (go on). Ironically, I thought I saw a chance for actual dialogue, agreeing with everything you posted... save one single word you slipped in as a parenthetical. Ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained?

Quote:
Sold! We already have words for "all" and "system" and "universe" and lots of other things.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 07-11-2021 at 05:03 PM..

Old 07-11-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Please don't (go on). Ironically, I thought I saw a chance for actual dialogue, agreeing with everything you posted... save one single word you slipped in as a parenthetical. Ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained?

Sold!
Sorry.
This is the Pantheism thread...the only place I get to express my Religious beliefs on this forum...so, I got caught up in the freedom of expression.
Since you obviously read it...I thank you for at least indulging to that degree.

As an analogous explanation to the end of your post: We have names for certain groups like "Firemen", "Emergency Medical Technicians", "Soldiers", etc...but based upon attributes they possess through being those things, we may confer upon them the title "Hero"...even though there already is a "name" for what they are.
"God" is a title I bestow upon The Universe because I feel it merits such a designation based upon its known attributes...as per my perception.

Last edited by GldnRule; 07-11-2021 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-11-2021, 05:26 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
NPR is reporting on a PEW study.
Do you really think they dishonestly changed the numbers and what PEW found?
I'll tell ya what...here is the study, directly from PEW:
https://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/...ons-2010-2050/

Like it or not Salty...you are wrong. The "wind" of Theism/Religion in this world is getting stronger, not weaker. That's just the fact of the matter.
I'm trying to educate you...because you obviously do not know the facts. If you did...you would not have gotten it completely wrong.
Not so, my Saltless, Truthless friend. EVERYTHING I heard or read says its going the other way (to the betterment of humanity).I make one proviso, my info is for the U.S. only. Bumhump Egypt and surrounds isn't included.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:29 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
(Snip)
Well, I've got news for you. It doesn't cut it, not by far. I'm all in on getting rid of that obsolete term, except in a historical context.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Not so, my Saltless, Truthless friend. EVERYTHING I heard or read says its going the other way (to the betterment of humanity).I make one proviso, my info is for the U.S. only. Bumhump Egypt and surrounds isn't included.
That isn't quite what the report says, however.

I was glad to read: "Over the coming decades, Christians are expected to experience the largest net losses from switching. Globally, about 40 million people are projected to switch into Christianity, while 106 million are projected to leave, with most joining the ranks of the religiously unaffiliated."

But the bigger question here may not be in mere numbers. It may be in something far more nebulous that I'll call "depth of faith". When I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, the churches in my town were pretty much filled every Sunday. If you didn't go to church, you were not keeping the sabbath holy. The Catholic side of my family pretty much all went to church at least every Sunday and on Holy Days, and quite a few went at least some other masses during the week. On the Methodist side of the family, most Sundays we went to church, with occasional exceptions. The Catholic Church in my home town no longer has a rectory, and the church itself has 1 mass per week, instead of the approximately 16 masses a week they had when I was a kid. The Methodist Church recently went of business. Literally closed and sold the building, since there were only something like 6 members of the congregation. Are we to assume that the Catholics and Methodists simply packed up and left town, or did they stop going to church? My guess is the latter. I live in a senior community now in Arizona. Out my 20 neighbors that I know well, one goes to church with any regularity at all.

So the question I am asking (which is covered in the study) is how many people who claim they are catholics act like catholics. How many methodists that claim they are methodist act like methodists...as well as all the other congregations. What it means to be religious today has changed DRASTICALLY in the last 50 or so years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality