Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2021, 03:43 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,608,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Which seems to be NOT to answer. Strange.
I have no idea why they cannot own their true attitude about Religion.
It makes it look worse when they try to gloss it over or obfuscate...because they are going to be caught out, then it looks even worse because they were posing and fronting.
Not all of them are like that...some lay their cards face up. I may not agree...but at least they are "real". I can respect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 04:52 PM

50,216 posts, read 23,838,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The point he is making is that churches following the law is fine. We apply the same standard to them as we do everybody else.

The problem I have is that you believe in rebirth and come along and start posting how unreliable other people's belief are. In terms of a belief, rebirth is not even close to even a living system. He calls it god (siize is an issue).

Then you switch the script to focus on over reaching religion. So we have two idea's blending into one. So in affect we lost the original position. His god claim is his god claim, its not irrational (even though we don't agree). You said it sounds like a fairy tale to you. Well, considering your rebirth belief, that statement is just unreliable.

I like to keep it simple. Use the best base facts we know. Like "we are in a larger more complex system." by like a lot. That just stupid simple. Its the least common denominator.

so my choices are to deny that, don't enable that, try to avoid that, and just say his claim is wrong. And not even look at your reliability because you don't like his position either. Or look at anybody elses claims, like an atheist creed, and just jump on the wagon and toss tomatoes at gld beliefs.

Or I think through the claim and see where it fits observation, For the life me, I don't understand anybody with a science degree avoiding that approach.
But that's not true. Proselytizing religion is not the same thing as protesting in front of the Supreme Court building.

You need to get over my belief in the possibility of a past life. I'm not asking you to believe it. I'm not asking anyone else to believe it. I don't know why you keep bringing this up almost every week, unless it's just to argue. I presume you believe that people have a right to believe in whatever they believe in. You don't want to believe, fine, Scarlett I don't give a damn.

Arach, I'm just plain tired of you constantly, constantly, constantly bringing up "we are in a larger more complex system". I don't deny it, but I don't care about it. It doesn't affect what I believe about Buddhism ore religion in general. You can get turned on about if you wish, but I don't care.

I also don't care what you think about my education, my college degrees, or my work in my profession. I just don't care.

And while we're at it, leave my grandmother and aunt out of your posts. I don't talk about your family, you don't talk about mine...and do you know why...you never met them, and you blown past posts way out of proportion. You have a deep self-control problem.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Is that really the correct word? Debate, sure, argue, sure, but "fight". A bit too far, IMHO.
Yes, it is too far. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. I learned that when I was 5.

Let's see, I haven't beaten any religionists up. Haven't shoved them around. Haven't kicked them. Haven't defaced any churches.

But there's an attempt to use hyperbole to keep the water boiling.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:56 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,476,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, it is too far. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. I learned that when I was 5.

Let's see, I haven't beaten any religionists up. Haven't shoved them around. Haven't kicked them. Haven't defaced any churches.

But there's an attempt to use hyperbole to keep the water boiling.
what? And your hyperbole? is what? come on Phet, this tactic you guys are deploying the last few is adolsentent.

Do you really have to go to these lengths to argue against pantheism? are you that afraid of religion and word god?

Old 07-19-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I used his word.^^^
One definition of fight is "to contend in any manner". And one definition of "contend" is "to assert something as a position".

Have you no understanding of the nuance of language?

Old 07-19-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
But that's not true. Proselytizing religion is not the same thing as protesting in front of the Supreme Court building.

You need to get over my belief in the possibility of a past life. I'm not asking you to believe it. I'm not asking anyone else to believe it. I don't know why you keep bringing this up almost every week, unless it's just to argue. I presume you believe that people have a right to believe in whatever they believe in. You don't want to believe, fine, Scarlett I don't give a damn.

Arach, I'm just plain tired of you constantly, constantly, constantly bringing up "we are in a larger more complex system". I don't deny it, but I don't care about it. It doesn't affect what I believe about Buddhism ore religion in general. You can get turned on about if you wish, but I don't care.

I also don't care what you think about my education, my college degrees, or my work in my profession. I just don't care.

And while we're at it, leave my grandmother and aunt out of your posts. I don't talk about your family, you don't talk about mine...and do you know why...you never met them, and you blown past posts way out of proportion. You have a deep self-control problem.
I think that about sums up my whole position on you.

I get it, religion-ist types latch on to their religion and all other interpretations are deemed less reliable. Because they, and their religion, say so. They often don't see the double standards. How their religion fails as completely as all others. You are expressing your faith just like ...

If you don't care about the observations being used and you are only here to tell gld and mystic how wrong they are ... what does that tell us. especially now they we have you on record calling his a fairytale? And we know about your belief in reincarnation.

I supposed to look the other way and hit gld and mystic about how we atheist are more logical. When we clearly are not.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I think that about sums up my whole position on you.

I get it, religion-ist types latch on to their religion and all other interpretations are deemed less reliable. Because they, and their religion, say so. They often don't see the double standards. How their religion fails as completely as all others. You are expressing your faith just like ...

If you don't care about the observations being used and you are only here to tell gld and mystic how wrong they are ... what does that tell us. especially now they we have you on record calling his a fairytale? And we know about your belief in reincarnation.

I supposed to look the other way and hit gld and mystic about how we atheist are more logical. When we clearly are not.
Arach, I don't care what you think. Have that tattooed on your eyeballs.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
One definition of fight is "to contend in any manner". And one definition of "contend" is "to assert something as a position".

Have you no understanding of the nuance of language?
wow, just wow.

So the you used the word fight, he used the word fight, its over.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Arach, I don't care what you think. Have that tattooed on your eyeballs.
no need to get abusive phet.

I am discussing how you know that we are in a vastly more complex system and that is good enough to say "pantheism" is at least matching some observation. and yet you call it a fairytale. You are constantly on the offensive about their beliefs. You hit them pretty hard too. almost abusively.

so now we have rebirth to compare to pantheism and see who process is more reliable for the average person. Look and see if the belief matches what we see, like we are in a vastly more complex system like pantheism does. Or blind faith based on walking around a city and bumping into churches as evidence of rebirth. Who is one to trust when seeking.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
no need to get abusive phet.

I am discussing how you know that we are in a vastly more complex system and that is good enough to say "pantheism" is at least matching some observation. and yet you call it a fairytale. You are constantly on the offensive about their beliefs. You hit them pretty hard too. almost abusively.

so now we have rebirth to compare to pantheism and see who process is more reliable for the average person. Look and see if the belief matches what we see, like we are in a vastly more complex system like pantheism does. Or blind faith based on walking around a city and bumping into churches as evidence of rebirth. Who is one to trust when seeking.
I don't care about your viewpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality