Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 02:05 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yes, I disagree with you using "deny everything so theist can't use it." I disagree with obscuring facts because theist can use it to make atheism harder sell.

I certainty disagree, in this forum, at this time, with "ok, but could you "heel" because some of us feel religion is dangerous we really need to be unified and not question each other."

I disagree with you coming into a general religion/spiritual forum with the primary purpose to stop religion and telling me I am pollical and you are just are looking at truth. I don't have change anything or stop certain lines of logic because they don't get us anywhere in a forum like this.

You are fighting religion in this forum. You are far more political than me. Otherwise you wouldn't have to change the game on me so many times.

So any time you want to go point for point about how to talk about beliefs relating to science I am in. But you and I both know what that means. It will show That I am not only not political, but I am far less political than you.
Elyon nailed it by describing Arq as a propagandist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 02:54 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Apart from the paraphrasing, if not misrepresenting, what I have said, if you don't see the 'danger of religion' (caveats aside) then your stance over this admittedly political, issue is so biased that your non - belief has been turned against itself, then I can only point up this evident fact to others.

I may say that I am also aware of One case at least where another socio -politically motivated problem - group targeted in a public and legal way an atheist spokesbod in what was shown up, later, as no more than a scam (playing the Diversity- card) to get a money -settlement. But the point in that (shockingly) a vid was posted by an atheist (so he said) screaming and yelling abuse in support of these scammers.

So it's not just on the Conservative side that his toxic bias is found. It is just as dangerous and we (in the UK as well as the US) should be working to stop it poisoning our society.
As to the danger of religion.............

"VATICAN CITY (RNS) — The Vatican said on Monday LGBTQ couples cannot receive a blessing by a priest. Pope Francis approved the decision despite his past openings toward same-sex couples.

“Since blessings on persons are in relationship with the sacraments, the blessing of homosexual unions cannot be considered licit,” said the note, signed by Cardinal Louis Ladaria, prefect of the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, or CDF.

Blessing same-sex couples “would constitute a certain imitation or analogue of the nuptial blessing,” which instead is exclusive to a marriage between a man and a woman, the document said. Couples who are divorced, remarried or sexually active outside of marriage also cannot be blessed.
"
https://religionnews.com/2021/03/15/...e-sex-couples/

Old 03-21-2021, 09:13 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Correct, you have seen the Motte and Bailey fallacy being used, where one "conflates two positions which share similarities, one modest and easy to defend (the "motte") and one much more controversial (the "bailey")." - Wikipedia

The two positions are everything exists (objectively true) and everything is god (subjective truth based on fallacies and no evidence for his extra traits (which he himself admits)).

That people need to straw man Mystic's actual position is amusing.
Again with the lie of NO evidence thereby dismissing the whole being the creator or reason we exist and the undeniable source of all the laws and processes that maintain and control our existence and everything in it.

Old 03-21-2021, 01:57 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote by: Salty Water

In a pig's eye, it is.

there simply is not a scintilla of evidence in support of, or even mildly consistent with the assertion that a god exists. I've been looking with an OPEN mind for any, including direct requests from believers to produce any, and it has been crickets.

Faith isn't evidence.
Ignorance isn't evidence
Lack of understanding isn't evidence
Hope isn't evidence
Assertion, no matter how emphatic, isn't evidence
Fear of mortality isn't evidence
Documents written thousands of years ago isn't evidence
Platitudes, e.g "god works in strange ways" isn't evidence
Cop-outs such as "free will" isn't evidence

Extremely flawed lifeforms, ostensibly the work product of a PERFECT creator, IS evidence (against the existence of such a creator)

A world full of suffering and misery at all levels, ostensibly the work product of a LOVING creator, IS evidence (against the existence of such a creator)

So please, produce some evidence, or with all due respect, give it a rest.

For record..."God" is the pigs eye too...and the pig...and anything & everything else.
AND...I can prove that:
IT IS A FACT that God is known to be defined as "The Supreme, or, Ultimate Reality".
And I can PROVE that, with EVIDENCE:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...80%A6%E2%80%94
I challenge you to refute that FACT...logically & reasonably.

IT IS A FACT that Reality Exists, and is self-evident and self-substantiating. If Reality did not exist...there would be nothing at all...and, even then, the "nothingness" would be Reality.
I challenge you to dispute that FACT...logically & reasonably.

Based upon those two irrefutable FACTS...you now have the EVIDENCE & PROOF there is that which exists that's a definitive "God Entity".
>>>>>God is Reality<<<<<
I challenge you to dispute that.

All you have done so far is argue against the objective existence of theologically based Deities, mythological creatures, and info and quotes from their Books and writings.
I fully agree that those Gods do not exist beyond metaphorical concepts.
But you claim..."There is no evidence for god".
Well...now you have it....and I challenge you to refute it.

Last edited by GldnRule; 03-21-2021 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-21-2021, 06:00 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Quote by: Salty Water

In a pig's eye, it is.

there simply is not a scintilla of evidence in support of, or even mildly consistent with the assertion that a god exists. I've been looking with an OPEN mind for any, including direct requests from believers to produce any, and it has been crickets.

Faith isn't evidence.
Ignorance isn't evidence
Lack of understanding isn't evidence
Hope isn't evidence
Assertion, no matter how emphatic, isn't evidence
Fear of mortality isn't evidence
Documents written thousands of years ago isn't evidence
Platitudes, e.g "god works in strange ways" isn't evidence
Cop-outs such as "free will" isn't evidence

Extremely flawed lifeforms, ostensibly the work product of a PERFECT creator, IS evidence (against the existence of such a creator)

A world full of suffering and misery at all levels, ostensibly the work product of a LOVING creator, IS evidence (against the existence of such a creator)

So please, produce some evidence, or with all due respect, give it a rest.

For record..."God" is the pigs eye too...and the pig...and anything & everything else.
AND...I can prove that:
IT IS A FACT that God is known to be defined as "The Supreme, or, Ultimate Reality".
And I can PROVE that, with EVIDENCE:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...80%A6%E2%80%94
I challenge you to refute that FACT...logically & reasonably.

IT IS A FACT that Reality Exists, and is self-evident and self-substantiating. If Reality did not exist...there would be nothing at all...and, even then, the "nothingness" would be Reality.
I challenge you to dispute that FACT...logically & reasonably.

Based upon those two irrefutable FACTS...you now have the EVIDENCE & PROOF there is that which exists that's a definitive "God Entity".
>>>>>God is Reality<<<<<
I challenge you to dispute that.

All you have done so far is argue against the objective existence of theologically based Deities, mythological creatures, and info and quotes from their Books and writings.
I fully agree that those Gods do not exist beyond metaphorical concepts.
But you claim..."There is no evidence for god".
Well...now you have it....and I challenge you to refute it.
You've offered nothing to refute. YOu have no evidence, just circular non-reasoning. Where is your evidence that god is everything.

Once again, epic fail. Oh wait, you did get the fact that reality exists correct. Nothing else. You're not even close, not even in the same galaxy, much less same solar system.

Time for your to shut up, since you failed to put up. Bye.

P.S> I'm laughing in your virtual face, not with you but AT you. I'd say you can do better, but I seriously doubt it.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
I'm totally cool with whatever people believe, or don't, as long as their beliefs and/or actions hurt no one.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:27 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Once one has a TRUE God Experience, then there is no need to quarrel about whose Religion is the best one. Whose GOD is the best. God then will become The One Truth and True Experience for an individual and/or group of devotees, whether in India or Israel, since the beginning of creation or now. Christ Jesus becomes One True Experience in God. So does Abraham, Moses, Sri Yukteswar, and Lahiri Mahasaya. GOD and The Holy Spirit can become One True Experience for all. I cannot worship traditions of man-made gods such as statues of fertility goddesses as GOD, or individual nature spirits as GOD. I cannot worship and fear satan, any man, woman, or all of humanity as a whole, or entire universes, etc., as GOD. A TRUE, PERSONAL, LIVING, GOD Experience or connection, is what should really matter.
Even as an atheist I have to agree with you.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 03-21-2021 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: clarify what part I agreed with. The second half contains some contradictions.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:25 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
You've offered nothing to refute. YOu have no evidence, just circular non-reasoning. Where is your evidence that god is everything.

Once again, epic fail. Oh wait, you did get the fact that reality exists correct. Nothing else. You're not even close, not even in the same galaxy, much less same solar system.

Time for your to shut up, since you failed to put up. Bye.

P.S> I'm laughing in your virtual face, not with you but AT you. I'd say you can do better, but I seriously doubt it.
You have offered no specific or logical argument in rebuttal.
Laughing is not a argument. I realize that you have to talk dumbstuff to divert from the fact that you have nothing to offer against that PROOF.
AGAIN: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...80%A6%E2%80%94
God is defined as Reality...that is a FACT. You may not like that FACT..
but that does not change it.
Do you have a legitimate refutation of THAT?
If not...it certainly stands as PROOF. Not that you could ever place yourself as a superior authority to Merriam-Webster for defining words/terms. But I still wanna hear your SPECIFIC rebuttal to it.
I put up specifics: God is defined as Reality...and I proved it. Reality exists...the proof of that is self-substantiating, self-evident, and irrefutable.
Thus: God Exists
You talk dumbstuff...because you know YOU have failed at providing anything whatsoever but foolish talk.

Old 03-22-2021, 04:58 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
It goes like this:

1-"I lack belief".
2-Ok, you lack belief ... why?
1-I am not sure if you are telling the truth, misunderstanding, or flat out crazy.
2-ok,
1-but you're wrong, obscure, have no case, and I am am going to fight you at every turn.
3-yeah, we have to fight sortagod at every place so religious don't get a free pass into law making.
4-But they have some parts right.
1+3 duck tape 4 and put them in a closet.
1+3 We are open and honest are are willing to address positions logically.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:15 AM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
It goes like this:

1-"I lack belief".
2-Ok, you lack belief ... why?
1-I am not sure if you are telling the truth, misunderstanding, or flat out crazy.
2-ok,
1-but you're wrong, obscure, have no case, and I am am going to fight you at every turn.
3-yeah, we have to fight sortagod at every place so religious don't get a free pass into law making.
4-But they have some parts right.
1+3 duck tape 4 and put them in a closet.
1+3 We are open and honest are are willing to address positions logically.
5. Im sure your have good reasons for believing they way you do.

6. What are those reasons?

7. I find them unconvincing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality