Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 11:44 AM

1,341 posts, read 655,450 times

Advertisements

For Christians:

Do you believe the disciples of Jesus were real people? If so, what evidence convinces you that they were real people?
Who wrote the bible?
Why us? Our universe is constantly expanding and we have no idea what is out there. High probability that we are not the only "beings" that exist in the universe. Why did God choose Earth for Jesus to live on? Do you believe God came down as a human being on other planets as well?
What convinces you that there is an afterlife aside from what the bible says?
What if you're wrong about God?
If you are part of a denomination, what convinced you to choose that denomination and not others?
What convinces you that Christianity is the "right" religion and not other religions?
Do you believe that God is responsible for everything? eg: if you are approved for a house, you should show grace and be thankful to God.

For atheists:

What convinced you that the bible is not real?
What convinced you that Jesus/God is not real?
Do you genuinely believe that human beings just randomly "popped" into existence and we are just here just because?
There are many testimonies of "spiritual activity". Eg: people getting readings from mediums (with the medium and the person not knowing each other), people who have "seen" something with 100% lucidity after no brain activity for several minutes, people who vow that they had a "vision" of something and they are not taking any medicine or drugs. What are your thoughts on these things? Do you think it's all rubbish and bull**** or do you think there could be "something" out there?
What if you're wrong and God/Jesus is real?

That's it

Last edited by compwiz02; 09-13-2023 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 12:05 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post

For atheists:

Do you genuinely believe that human beings just randomly "popped" into existence and we are just here just because?
There are many testimonies of "spiritual activity". Eg: people getting readings from mediums (with the medium and the person not knowing each other), people who have "seen" something with 100% lucidity after no brain activity for several minutes, people who vow that they had a "vision" of something and they are not taking any medicine or drugs. What are your thoughts on these things? Do you think it's all rubbish and bull**** or do you think there could be "something" out there?

That's it
Many of the bible's stories seem far too fantastical to be true. If those sorts of things happened in the past, why don't they happen now?

I think Jesus was real...just not "magic"...a teacher...a human.

Yes, I think it was all a primordial coincidence, and began thinking that when I read the studies by Stanley Miller when in college.

I very occasionally have gone to psychics, one in particular that was uncanny in her awareness. So there is something we don't understand...but that does not lead me to believe in god.

What if god is real? C'est la vie. I don't have any more to lose from that than a christian has if god does not exist. I'm always willing to learn.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:37 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,669,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What if god is real? C'est la vie. I don't have any more to lose from that than a christian has if god does not exist. I'm always willing to learn.
Allah is real and Hell is real.

Serve ye what ye will besides him.
Say: "Truly, those in loss are those who lose their own souls and their People on the Day of Judgment:
Ah! that is indeed the (real and) evident Loss!

(As for) those who disbelieve in Our communications,
We shall make them enter fire;
so oft as their skins are thoroughly burned,
We will change them for other skins,
that they may taste the chastisement;
surely Allah is Mighty, Wise.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post

Say: "Truly, those in loss are those who lose their own souls and their People on the Day of Judgment:

If there any place that could be described as 'hell on earth', then it would probably be the Middle East. So no thank you. And the hateful language that you used in that post is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
For Christians:

Do you believe the disciples of Jesus were real people? If so, what evidence convinces you that they were real people?
Who wrote the bible?
Why us? Our universe is constantly expanding and we have no idea what is out there. High probability that we are not the only "beings" that exist in the universe. Why did God choose Earth for Jesus to live on? Do you believe God came down as a human being on other planets as well?
What convinces you that there is an afterlife aside from what the bible says?
What if you're wrong about God?
If you are part of a denomination, what convinced you to choose that denomination and not others?
What convinces you that Christianity is the "right" religion and not other religions?
Do you believe that God is responsible for everything? eg: if you are approved for a house, you should show grace and be thankful to God.

For atheists:

That's it

I can stop you right there. That's a very weird question to ask an atheist.
'Do I genuinely believe we just popped into existence? '

No I believe it took us about 13.8 billion years to evolve. That includes about 9 billion years until the earth formed from accretion about 4.5 billion years ago. Then prokarytes appeared about 4 billion years ago, cyanobacteria about 3 billion years ago, large multicelluar life about 1.5 billion years ago, human ancestors about 6 million years ago and homosapiens about 2 - 300,000 years ago. I'm rounding with this lot but you get the idea.

I thought it was Christians who believed we just 'popped into existence'? Are you sure you directed the question to the right people?

Also these are a lot of questions for one thread. How about dividing it into separate threads?

Old 09-13-2023, 12:51 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Read some of our posts.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Many of the bible's stories seem far too fantastical to be true. If those sorts of things happened in the past, why don't they happen now?

I think Jesus was real...just not "magic"...a teacher...a human.

Yes, I think it was all a primordial coincidence, and began thinking that when I read the studies by Stanley Miller when in college.

I very occasionally have gone to psychics, one in particular that was uncanny in her awareness. So there is something we don't understand...but that does not lead me to believe in god.

Excellent response. For me personally, I believe the bible is both objective and subjective. Churches are divided because they have different interpretations of scripture. But the fact that Bethlehem is a real city automatically refutes any statement that "the bible is a fantasy book". As for your question... who knows....maybe there are things happening that we don't know about. There could be things happening in places in Egypt that we don't know about.

There are a couple of books on the rise of Christianity. I personally believe Jesus was real also. But I know there are atheists who absolutely refute the existence of Jesus.

Do you think our existence is a coincidence is an "effect" of something else? Obviously, we evolved from something but do you think that something just "popped" into existance?

I also believe there are forces out there that we do not understand.

There was actually a video on YouTube where a Catholic asked a priest about a conversation the priest had with an atheist. The atheist asked "what if you are wrong and God is not real?". The priest smiled and said "then I am wrong. I have nothing to lose. but what if you are wrong?". Basically, nobody loses anything if God is not real but if God indeed is real, there are many people in our universe who are <<bleep>> lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post

Really? That's your response?

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-13-2023 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Unacceptable language. Read the forum rules.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

No I believe it took us about 13.8 billion years to evolve. That includes about 9 billion years until the earth formed from accretion about 4.5 billion years ago. Then prokarytes appeared about 4 billion years ago, cyanobacteria about 3 billion years ago, large multicelluar life about 1.5 billion years ago, human ancestors about 6 million years ago and homosapiens about 2 - 300,000 years ago. I'm rounding with this lot but you get the idea.

I thought it was Christians who believed we just 'popped into existence'? Are you sure you directed the question to the right people?

Also these are a lot of questions for one thread. How about dividing it into separate threads?

How is it a weird question? No question is weird if the purpose is to learn something. I've literally read posts where atheists say that human beings live on this earth just....because. There is no reason. We evolved from single-cell organisms and that's it.

Christians have many beliefs. It would be false to assume Christians only had one specific belief. But now that you said, I guess I'll direct that question to both atheists and Christians.

I want to avoid populating this subforum with multiple threads lol.

Old 09-13-2023, 01:01 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:

<<snip>>

But the fact that Bethlehem is a real city automatically refutes any statement that "the bible is a fantasy book".

<<snip>>
Based on that logic, Ghostbusters is real because New York City exists.

The existence of a place does not automatically make everything written about that place true.

Old 09-13-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

I think it's fine as a combined topic...we used to teach kids to 'compare and contrast'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality