Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 04:08 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times

Advertisements

Hi Basil,

I am sorry about the loss of your husband, and also sorry, although in a different way, for misgendering you.

Thanks for responding though.

I think you have been pretty clear. You accept the Bible as completely truthful and accurate, and you accept anything written in it as just and moral if it comes from god. I have the feeling that you would accept literally anything you found written in the book.

Is that accurate?

Obviously I disagree with you as to the morality of god’s actions in the Bible, but I am not going to try to convince you otherwise.

I am curious as to your reasons for converting to Christianity. What made you decide that the Bible is an accurate, truthful account of history? Is there evidence that convinced you, was it some sort of personal mystical experience, or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 04:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The primary challenge facing theists is that of parsing the spiritual fossil record between those concepts and ideas inspired by God from those that are the inspirations and interpretations of men. Of course, atheists generally do not think there are ANY inspirations from God making any parsing superfluous to them.
one small, tinny, seemly insignificant, sentence debunks trans sect, opps, brand of atheism ...

The universe is doing ... everything.

and since he can't argue it scientifically ... he covers it up, hides it, runs from it, or excommunicates it out of atheism.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post

nipped for space ...

Yes, I've thought about it. I choose God. If that's not a good idea in some people's viewpoint then it's not a good idea in their viewpoint. I read the Westminster's Confessions of Faith, found it made a lot of since and reread the Bible. God called me to him and I chose to follow him. That's about all of why I'm a Christian. I can relate to a lot of what atheists say about God because I felt much the same way once. What changed was that I loved Jesus when he revealed himself to me. Much of what's being stated on here will generally get the same reply from me, that I won't put myself in the place of God.

some people grab onto a loving god in time's of trouble and others grab onto a hateful anti-god in times of trouble.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:05 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
I remember when my sister's husband was shot in the face and subsequently died, she said "God's plan for me does not include Author". Two boys left fatherless, my sister heartbroken and this was part of 'God's plan'?

Not for one moment do I think 'God' had a plan, not to mention such a cruel plan.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:07 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I remember when my sister's husband was shot in the face and subsequently died, she said "God's plan for me does not include Author". Two boys left fatherless, my sister heartbroken and this was part of 'God's plan'?

Not for one moment do I think 'God' had a plan, not to mention such a cruel plan.
Same thinking here when my mother's second husband was murdered in Florida, leaving behind my mother (who struggled the rest of her life) and a baby daughter.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:

did he have a past? or was it unexpected?

Old 09-19-2020, 06:19 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
did he have a past? or was it unexpected?
He had a past and yes it was expected. Well, we weren't expecting it when it happened but we knew there was a risk. I thought I was at the place of being able to actually help him get through. But I didn't know what was going on at the time, I thought he was OK at the time. It pains me that I could have got him home if only I had known. So many 'if onlys'. He was such a fine young man too, loved by all who knew him.

But 'God's plan' had nothing to do with it. This was a straight forward life's tragedy. There were of course causes but those causes were not inevitable. He was vulnerable and 'bad stuff' happened that resulted in more bad stuff happening.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
He had a past and yes it was expected. Well, we weren't expecting it when it happened but we knew there was a risk. I thought I was at the place of being able to actually help him get through. But I didn't know what was going on at the time, I thought he was OK at the time. It pains me that I could have got him home if only I had known. So many 'if onlys'. He was such a fine young man too, loved by all who knew him.

But 'God's plan' had nothing to do with it. This was a straight forward life's tragedy. There were of course causes but those causes were not inevitable. He was vulnerable and 'bad stuff' happened that resulted in more bad stuff happening.
thanks for your honesty.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Life and death remain tantalizing mysteries.

If there's a god-thing I think it's winging it.

Maybe we exist only in its dreams.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:24 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
How can God implement his plan, when Satan is the ruler of our world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality