Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 06:37 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times

Advertisements

Parents say priest told mourners that son may be kept out of heaven over suicide: report

A priest laid it right between the eyes at a funeral, to the mourners as well as to the parents; the 18 year old youth, a Straight A student, who committed suicide was not going to go to heaven. I am uncertain whether the priest had any control over the matter, but apparently, it does not matter how the person lived their life or what drove them to the point of desperation.

Most of the leaders in my particular religion, thankfully, believe that the right question to ask is not whether the person is going to heaven or down below, but what kind of life they lived, and who they've helped, in the living world. But to me, this is no way to comfort mourners. It is a public shaming, and why?

Moderator cut: Edited to add corrected link. https://www.foxnews.com/us/parents-w...uneral-removed

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-16-2018 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Corrected link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 06:48 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Parents say priest told mourners that son may be kept out of heaven over suicide: report

A priest laid it right between the eyes at a funeral, to the mourners as well as to the parents; the 18 year old youth, a Straight A student, who committed suicide was not going go to heaven. I am uncertain whether the priest had any control over the matter, but apparently, it does not matter how the person lived their life or what drove them to the point of desperation.

Most of the leaders in my particular religion, thankfully, believe that the right question to ask is not whether the person is going to heaven or down below, but what kind of life they lived, and who they've helped, in the living world. But to me, this is no way to comfort mourners. It is a public shaming, and why?
Clearly, some people "know not what they do." This is heartbreaking and I hope the boy's family doesn't let one person's insensitivity and ignorance get in the way of their healing. (By the way, your link doesn't work.)

Old 12-15-2018, 06:51 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
That's been Catholic doctrine for centuries and has only fairly recently (in the time frame of the Church)began to be modified.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's been Catholic doctrine for centuries and has only fairly recently (in the time frame of the Church)began to be modified.
He shouldn't be speaking from a doctrinal point of view in regards to a situation like that. Doctrine is all garbage to begin with.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:14 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
He shouldn't be speaking from a doctrinal point of view in regards to a situation like that. Doctrine is all garbage to begin with.
The word "doctrine" means nothing more than "teachings." Are you meaning to say that everything every church teaches is "garbage."

Old 12-15-2018, 07:21 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Sort of like people going on Christian message boards and attacking religion, trying to destroy their belief. There are bad people that just like to mock people everywhere. This priest was wrong.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:42 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

A priest laid it right between the eyes at a funeral, to the mourners as well as to the parents; the 18 year old youth, a Straight A student, who committed suicide was not going to go to heaven. I am uncertain whether the priest had any control over the matter, but apparently, it does not matter how the person lived their life or what drove them to the point of desperation.

Maybe to discourage others who may be contemplating suicide?

Look, these people chose to belong to a religion which believes suicide is a mortal sin. A belief that is discarded when it becomes inconvenient isn't really a belief, is it?

Old 12-15-2018, 08:26 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,085,432 times
I've had this happen to me a couple times in the last several years (suicide of a loved one/girlfriend).

The girl I was with hanged herself the night after her and I relapsed together. I was at her funeral. The pastor said she was still seeking Christ - she was still active in church and seeking.

She had PTSD after being stabbed over adozen times by her ex - she was in rough shape (mentally/spiritually). But her relapse and the medication she was on were what drove her to suicide. She is in Heaven.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
This is a Catholic thing. Protestants do not believe this.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:46 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is a Catholic thing. Protestants do not believe this.
Oh yes, some of them do. I've posted several times on here the story of when a childhood friend of the family shot himself in the head (about 25 years ago) his parents went to church on Sunday only to have another church member come up and say, "I'm sorry to hear about your son, but you know he went straight to hell."

Reformed Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality