Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2020, 12:20 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Natural selection is one of the factors that drives evolution and therefore does not take place after evolution.
That's just plain wrong.

If the beetle's environment changes, the beetle will either die off, or it will adapt to its new environment.

Adaptation to a new environment is not Evolution; it is adaptation. Notice the difference in spelling between "adaptation" and "evolution." There is no change in the beetle's DNA and thus no change in the beetle's internal or external structure or function.

If we drink your Kool-Aid® then I could take a beetle out of the forest and stick it in a desert and if it survives it "evolved" when in fact there were no changes to the beetle's DNA.

It's the same beetle. All it did was adapt.

According to the morons at Berkley, rats climbed up trees and adapted and because they did the wonderful god-thing came down and granted them the gift of the opposable thumb.

That's not how it works.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Let me guess.... this is typical of how you behave when you interact with the public in your official civil dutiable position.
So, you never knew chemicals can produce electricity after all.

The US should have entered the 5th Level Economy -- Research & Development -- in the late 1990s.

If you had, about 15%-20% of your GDP would be R&D instead of Barista.

I wonder who we should pick to be the poster child for the reason you'll never make it?

Old 10-29-2020, 12:33 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's just plain wrong.

If the beetle's environment changes, the beetle will either die off, or it will adapt to its new environment.

Adaptation to a new environment is not Evolution; it is adaptation. Notice the difference in spelling between "adaptation" and "evolution." There is no change in the beetle's DNA and thus no change in the beetle's internal or external structure or function.

If we drink your Kool-Aid® then I could take a beetle out of the forest and stick it in a desert and if it survives it "evolved" when in fact there were no changes to the beetle's DNA.

It's the same beetle. All it did was adapt.

According to the morons at Berkley, rats climbed up trees and adapted and because they did the wonderful god-thing came down and granted them the gift of the opposable thumb.

That's not how it works.
I think you're a little off here.

Adaption (as related to evolution) isn't about an individual adapting. It's about a species adapting due to some variation making the species more able to survive...or die off.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:33 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So, you never knew chemicals can produce electricity after all.

The US should have entered the 5th Level Economy -- Research & Development -- in the late 1990s.

If you had, about 15%-20% of your GDP would be R&D instead of Barista.

I wonder who we should pick to be the poster child for the reason you'll never make it?
It's people with hostile, pompous and privileged attitudes like yours that's turning the U.S. into barbarianism...your aggressive attitude is unprovoked and unwarranted.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:50 PM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Contrary to your presumption that design requires ANY particular level of perfection, design simply means a structure that is non-chaotic. Our consciousness is capable of seeing designs in all manner of things, but conflating the many ways designs get formed serves only to confuse the designs that are actually functional. I am not so cynical as to assume that is deliberate obfuscation by the anti-design crowd.
Design is not a noun that simply mean a structure that is non-chaotic (which would include crystals). Design usually means the verb to design something, as you can see when any idiot claims x designed y.

No one is deliberately obfuscating anything except to get sneak in intelligent design.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Well look them up for yourself Harry.

At about the 54min mark Cronin talks about information
And shortly after he says the simple information is formed naturally. Your original point was he was asking if this is possible, here he is saying it is.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Well I have not been trying to show a God hypothesis Harry but all you guys keep equating the mind behind it all to the Christian God.
No, I am referring to any first cause creator god.

Quote:
So I guess I will point out something to you here abut the Christian God that anyone who has read the scripture should already be aware of.

God is spirit or immaterial according to the scriptures and as He is spirit or immaterial why would you think God would have a material brain?
Because we only have evidence for physical brains. Almost 8 billion data points. If you want to argue for an immaterial being just knowing things, you need to be able to explain how that would work.

If you can not, then why should I believe in it?

Old 10-29-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I gave examples in may last post to Loga of immaterial sources. So we do in fact have examples.
I looked, they all had material sources.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Clearly there are those who prefer to consider and address the topic of this thread, and some of those people will do so in a variety of ways, at least contributing SOMETHING along those lines, while others prefer to do little else but wait for what to complain about, a lot, rather than address the topic of the thread at all.
It is best to just follow the posts and users with clear, valid responses.

There are too many people just throwing out science terms to pretend they are intellectuals; or try to psychoanalyze people; or post the usual straw man attacks because there agenda is not to have a honest discussion; or are just yanking chains.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:40 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Most religions and spiritual paths divide man into at least 2 categories: carnal and spiritual.

Materialism/concrete thinking, like the carnal man, tends to focus on the here and now, 'the bird in the hand'..."why worry about any birds in the bush when we have these birds in hand?!" YOLO, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality