Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2020, 01:47 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Well look them up for yourself Harry.

At about the 54min mark Cronin talks about information

nipped for space

Its really only about information exchange. Some Biology people tend to struggle when it is pointed out to them.

The universe made life on this planet. period.
the universe is a more complex set of information exchange than life on this planet.
There is not one thing in you, I mean piece, that is alive, A group of things in you is classified as a cell.
a cell is a whole lot of information exchange in a small volume. But nothing in a cell is alive.

we can say nothing is alive or we can say everything is alive. It depends on how you want to classify things.

That really is a base line claim. And they are reasonable. It doesn't mean god, it doesn't mean made like we make a cake, it is only the best we have at this point.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:34 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's just plain wrong.

If the beetle's environment changes, the beetle will either die off, or it will adapt to its new environment.

Adaptation to a new environment is not Evolution; it is adaptation. Notice the difference in spelling between "adaptation" and "evolution." There is no change in the beetle's DNA and thus no change in the beetle's internal or external structure or function.

If we drink your Kool-Aid® then I could take a beetle out of the forest and stick it in a desert and if it survives it "evolved" when in fact there were no changes to the beetle's DNA.

It's the same beetle. All it did was adapt.

According to the morons at Berkley, rats climbed up trees and adapted and because they did the wonderful god-thing came down and granted them the gift of the opposable thumb.

That's not how it works.
You obviously don't have a clue how natural selection and evolution works, and the fact that you called the professors at Berkley who do know what they're talking about, morons, is uncalled for. You're what's known as a know-it-all. A person who thinks he knows everything.

When the process of natural selection results in a change of inherited characteristics of a population group, the cumulative effect over generations can result in a new species. That's evolution. Evolution is the result of natural selection.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
This is true. Evolution theory has it that natural (random) genetic mutation can cause genetic alterations. If these give a survival advantage when there is an alteration in the environment, the species -community in that environment can change in habits and/or appearance, thus making for a sub -species and in time a different species.

Thus environment, genetic mutation and adaptation by natural selection are all part of the evolutionary process.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's just plain wrong.

If the beetle's environment changes, the beetle will either die off, or it will adapt to its new environment.

Adaptation to a new environment is not Evolution; it is adaptation. Notice the difference in spelling between "adaptation" and "evolution." There is no change in the beetle's DNA and thus no change in the beetle's internal or external structure or function.

If we drink your Kool-Aid® then I could take a beetle out of the forest and stick it in a desert and if it survives it "evolved" when in fact there were no changes to the beetle's DNA.

It's the same beetle. All it did was adapt.

According to the morons at Berkley, rats climbed up trees and adapted and because they did the wonderful god-thing came down and granted them the gift of the opposable thumb.

That's not how it works.
The adaptation is not evolution. The process forming the adaptation is evolution. "Evolution" is the unifying theory, a story line that links all of the pieces together. Like plate tectonics links earth quakes, volcanoes and mountains together.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:38 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
And shortly after he says the simple information is formed naturally. Your original point was he was asking if this is possible, here he is saying it is.
No he says he is looking to see if information can be formed naturally. He believes it can and that is why he is looking into it.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:46 AM

Quote:
No, I am referring to any first cause creator god.

Because we only have evidence for physical brains. Almost 8 billion data points. If you want to argue for an immaterial being just knowing things, you need to be able to explain how that would work.

If you can not, then why should I believe in it?
I already gave evidence of the immaterial interacting with the world and producing effects in the world.

But what is it you are detecting? is the law made of matter or energy? is it materialistic or naturalistic? or is it immaterial, something that is not seen but has an effect that can be observed?

Lets take the laws of physics as an example.

The laws of physics are not physical. They are not made of matter and they're not made of energy. The laws of physics do not have temperature, density, color, mass, volume, shape, a melting point, hardness, odor, length, etc. They do not possess kinetic, potential, thermal, elastic, chemical, or radiant energy. So then if the law lacks all these things what makes you believe it is materialistic and not immaterial? It seem to me that the law lacks any of the characteristic that would make it a natural or materialistic.

What the law does is describe the behavior of matter, but it would be incorrect to say the law itself was matter.

Using the law of physics again as an example.

The law of physics might describe behavior of matter at zero degrees Kelvin, but it would be incorrect to state that the law itself was cold

Now you need to show me how the laws have temperature, density, color, mass, volume, shape, a melting point, hardness, odor, length, etc. possess kinetic, potential, thermal, elastic, chemical, or radiant energy.

The laws are not natural they are immaterial.

Thus if that which is immaterial can and does effect our world you cannot rule out an immaterial God doing the same.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I looked, they all had material sources.
I don't believe you can back that statement up Harry.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Its really only about information exchange. Some Biology people tend to struggle when it is pointed out to them.

The universe made life on this planet. period.
the universe is a more complex set of information exchange than life on this planet.
There is not one thing in you, I mean piece, that is alive, A group of things in you is classified as a cell.
a cell is a whole lot of information exchange in a small volume. But nothing in a cell is alive.

we can say nothing is alive or we can say everything is alive. It depends on how you want to classify things.

That really is a base line claim. And they are reasonable. It doesn't mean god, it doesn't mean made like we make a cake, it is only the best we have at this point.
I agree the biosphere is alive Arach as it not only produces life, it sustains it.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:07 AM

Quote:
I agree the biosphere is alive Arach as it not only produces life, it sustains it.
you know what's funny, the biosphere made humans. Humans made the watch. The universe made the biosphere, The universe made the watch. Its really that simple.

It ends right there. All discussion about religion, atheism, reality, and spatiality start with that base line claim. To start elsewhere is making stuff up. Either calling it a composition fallacy and/or deity.

But lets just keep it to things we can point to.

How would being part of a living system make one of its parts think it was made by a clock smith?

Old 10-30-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
No he says he is looking to see if information can be formed naturally. He believes it can and that is why he is looking into it.
Also Harry you never replied to the two quotes I supplied by Cronin which you believed I was taking out of context. After reading the link I supplied with the quotes do you still think that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality