Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2020, 11:25 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You mean valid and validated evidence and crap evidence?
I think the term "validated" here is perhaps a good one.

I think back to a discipline case I was once dealing with, and the 'evidence' all pointed to the kid in question not really being guilty of anything. Just as I was about the investigation up, one kid, "Well he did have that knife". Over a dozen kids hadn't mentioned a knife or any kind of weapon, but once one mentioned it, a dozen dominoes fell over.

I can take the Bible as a piece of evidence (more so with the NT). I can also say that I have not seen corroborating evidence that satisfies me.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:37 AM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think the term "validated" here is perhaps a good one.

I think back to a discipline case I was once dealing with, and the 'evidence' all pointed to the kid in question not really being guilty of anything. Just as I was about the investigation up, one kid, "Well he did have that knife". Over a dozen kids hadn't mentioned a knife or any kind of weapon, but once one mentioned it, a dozen dominoes fell over.

I can take the Bible as a piece of evidence (more so with the NT). I can also say that I have not seen corroborating evidence that satisfies me.
The Bible is only relevant to validating specific BELIEFS ABOUT God in the Abrahamic religions, NOT evidence about the EXISTENCE of God which is limited to science.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:40 AM

2,962 posts, read 863,625 times
Quote:
You may not realize it, but simply having confidence in something does not make it true.
That’s true. After all, you’re confident that Satan does not exist.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
You may not realize it, but simply having confidence in something does not make it true.
Well, since our Reality is the source for the existence (or the beginning) of everything, I think it qualifies as God to us and rates 100% confidence regarding the beginning of life.

Old 11-15-2020, 12:00 PM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
WRONG! I am presuming NO extra properties. I am using the properties we do know about to establish the EXISTENCE of God. I am BELIEVING additional properties to adopt the Christian religion. You are using additional properties to reject the existence of God because everything we use is about what DOES exist. We just do not know what the hell it IS.
You presume the ultimate reality is conscious. I do not. How is not believing your presumption me using additional properties?

Quote:
I made no false statement and you always make these blanket accusations without specifying what the hell you THINK I said.
You argued two options, no god or your god. I just pointed out the several billion data points you ignored, the theists who believe a god created our reality, not your belief of a god you claim IS our reality.

Perhaps if you think rationally about your arguments instead of your usual emotional knee jerk response, you would not make arguments that when followed to their natural conclusion, are not sound.

Old 11-15-2020, 12:01 PM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Since neither you nor I or anyone else KNOW ontologically what our Reality IS, HOW exactly, in your immense arrogance, do you determine that the evidence we acquire about our EXISTING Reality is NOT about God?
And why do you keep asserting it IS a god, in your immense arrogance?

Old 11-15-2020, 12:05 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
That’s true. After all, you’re confident that Satan does not exist.
I'm waffling on that in the sense I don't believe in Satan, per se, but I do believe in evil people, including one or two on this forum.

Old 11-15-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You presume the ultimate reality is conscious. I do not. How is not believing your presumption me using additional properties?
I presume our Reality is conscious because WE are conscious and we are part and parcel of Reality. Your composition fallacy nonsense satisfies you because you refuse to consider the properties in our Reality as belonging to a single entity and presume they must be seen as separate things. There is no reconciling such philosophical arrogance and intransigence.
Quote:
You argued two options, no god or your god. I just pointed out the several billion data points you ignored, the theists who believe a god created our reality, not your belief of a god you claim IS our reality.
The beliefs of humans (no matter how many billions of them) are NOT scientific evidence of anything, let alone whether or not our Reality is God.
Quote:
Perhaps if you think rationally about your arguments instead of your usual emotional knee jerk response, you would not make arguments that when followed to their natural conclusion, are not sound.
Perhaps if you had more exposure to and practice thinking philosophically about these deep issues and abandoned your shallow commonsensical thinking you would realize your views about these deeper issues are NOT supported by existing science.

Old 11-15-2020, 12:26 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You mean valid and validated evidence and crap evidence?
TRANSPONDER: “There is a huge amount of evidence for Christianity. The point is that it doesn't stand up well under scrutiny.”

Yes, I agree with you. A huge amount of evidence exists for Christianity. To say “no evidence exists” is disingenuous.

Whether or not evidence is convincing to a particular person does not disqualify it as evidence. To suggest such a thing is evidence of faulty reasoning.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:47 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
TRANSPONDER: “There is a huge amount of evidence for Christianity. The point is that it doesn't stand up well under scrutiny.”

Yes, I agree with you. A huge amount of evidence exists for Christianity. To say “no evidence exists” is disingenuous.

Whether or not evidence is convincing to a particular person does not disqualify it as evidence. To suggest such a thing is evidence of faulty reasoning.
I agree...I think. As is often the case, one has to explain what they mean. Thetr can be Any evidence presented...It's evidence. But I usually think in terms of evidence that is validated or stands up to scrutiny. Of course, people differ on what they consider Good evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality