Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 10:58 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Would be incredible, yes, and I don't think about it a lot either, but when I do, I'm more than average perplexed. It is an intriguing question that I would love to have answered before I'm gone. Looking up at the night sky doesn't usually disappoint me either (unless there is fog, or cloud -- or smoke -- cover), but your disappointment is same as mine either way.

As a human that notices things, did you notice that "In the primate world, plump breasts last only as long as breastfeeding does except in humans. Women are busty all the time, even after menopause. According to some scientists, the trait is an evolutionary trick for snagging men and signals a woman's ability to feed her children."

https://www.livescience.com/32745-wh...her%20children.

Amazing. Right?
That article made me laugh, but it is interesting.

Yes. I am disappointed when I look up because I always wanted humans to be able to travel in space; to be able to colonize on another planet. I don't think that will ever be possible.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
That article made me laugh, but it is interesting.

Yes. I am disappointed when I look up because I always wanted humans to be able to travel in space; to be able to colonize on another planet. I don't think that will ever be possible.
yup, I can't believe we dont have a base on the moon.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:24 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
I live on the path of the Monarch Butterfly migration, very close to a Monarch sanctuary where we enjoy seeing them cluster every year in the Fall, soon to peak in October. On a few occasions I've had one as a pet and watched it go through it's amazing life cycle from caterpillar to chrysalis to butterfly. If there is any more miraculous mind-bending deal to make one wonder how such a thing could have come about as a result of evolution, I don't know what it is!
The migration of birds and eels and salmon is one. This Instinct where there was no learning ad could not be was a mystery until DNA encoded information explained how instinct works.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The migration of birds and eels and salmon is one. This Instinct where there was no learning ad could not be was a mystery until DNA encoded information explained how instinct works.
how bout the universe self organized into "alive". Too bad your religion has to shun such heathenistic notions.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:32 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Migrations are a little easier for me to understand as compared to much else going on with nature and/or evolution that tends to be far more mind-bending for me. Not sure we've got the whole DNA encoded instinct thing figured out entirely either...

"How do migratory birds, herding dogs, and navigating sea turtles do the amazing things that they do? For hundreds of years, scientists and philosophers have struggled over possible explanations. In time, one word came to dominate the discussion: instinct. It became the catch-all explanation for those adaptive and complex abilities that do not obviously result from learning or experience. Today, various animals are said to possess a survival instinct, migratory instinct, herding instinct, maternal instinct, or language instinct. But a closer look reveals that these and other “instincts” are not satisfactorily described as inborn, pre-programmed, hardwired, or genetically determined. Rather, research in this area teaches us that species-typical behaviors develop—and they do so in every individual under the guidance of species-typical experiences occurring within reliable ecological contexts."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5182125/

Old 09-21-2020, 10:37 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
how bout the universe self organized into "alive". Too bad your religion has to shun such heathenistic notions.
If you insist of course, again, but just how important is it to you that we refer to the universe as "alive" rather than otherwise. Would "vibrant" work for example? How much does it matter all considered? I too am not as much inclined to stray too far from what science tells us in a more definitive manner, and I don't follow a religion. I don't shun facts, good reason or logic. None of which makes me any kind of heathen I don't think...

Old 09-21-2020, 04:31 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
If you insist of course, again, but just how important is it to you that we refer to the universe as "alive" rather than otherwise. Would "vibrant" work for example? How much does it matter all considered? I too am not as much inclined to stray too far from what science tells us in a more definitive manner, and I don't follow a religion. I don't shun facts, good reason or logic. None of which makes me any kind of heathen I don't think...

You already do not follow religion.
Why don't you stop following science? What is just a form of religion anyway.

Then, simply start following reason and logic.
That will lead you on one and only true path.

Greatest minds of humanity, that we adore through thousands of years, never had scalpel or microscope. Or, a collider. Yet, they figured principles of everything just fine. By simply using logic and reason.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:08 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
What instinc inspired the drone bee to explode when mating with a queen?
What instince evolved a beedle to resist death being frozen?
Or how about the worms living in glacers, or creatures the live out side our spectrum of light?
What keeps an atom from flying apart?
How is it that when I pray God answers my prayer, often through avenews completely alien to me? It is not coinsidence if the event is with in moments.
For me God has inturrupted the weather and provided my needs and healed my body and others as well?
I will agree that coinsidences can and do happen, but not with the regularity in the life of a child of God.
1. I pray for guidance, because I know that God has a handle on the bigger picture, and I know better then to try and manipulate God. I cooperate with Him, or at least try to. If one has no realtionship he canot epect the respect that is earned by obedience. Even though salvation is free, respect is earned. if you take God for granted there is no respect either way.
2. I know that sometimes the right answer is not human reasoning.
3. God does not give me answers for your life but, He does give me answers for mine.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:27 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,625 times
This is one of the best threads about one of life’s biggest questions that I’ve read in a long time. It’s a genuine exchange of ideas, staying on-topic, with minimal combativeness. Very refreshing. Kudos to all involved!

Old 09-21-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I really don't know because what I said is just a fact and you are asking me to say "vibrant" instead. Or it seems like you are asking me to anyway. correct me if I am wrong.

I am big on lists ... so lets look, because I am a simple mind ...

Arach: portions of the unversed self organized into alive.

vs

learme: Would "vibrant" work for example? How much does it matter all considered?

I am not sure how to evaluate/compare the reliability of these? ones a brute fact the other is more about qualitative descriptor like "Its really cool."

what are you asking me? or of me?

Maybe, just maybe, my brother calls me pod boy because he thinks I have very little emotion. So maybe "vibrant" just isn't registering to me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality