Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 11:05 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times

Advertisements

scientifically speaking, the answer is in-between ID and anti-id.

what descriptors do we have to describe the system and how do the different descriptors compare.

These type of atheist and fundy theist have run as fast as they can from that line of logic. This is a faith based atheist site.

and the rational "something more" believers bought in to "just get out of our way so we can attack any idea that we don't like."

Old 10-05-2020, 11:10 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,384,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I know about the Cambrian explosion, and it is not a problem for evolution. Biologists have different views on what sparked the Cambrian explosion, but factors such as an increase in atmospheric oxygen could be one factor that would accelerate evolution. Views on how long the Cambrian explosion lasted range from 13 to 53 million years. Even at the low range estimate a lot of evolution can occur.
that is wrong according to Erwin and Valentine in the book "the Cambrian explosion:the construction of animal biodiversity.

They state that the move from micro to macro forms a discontinuity.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I see you are not aware that the Cambrian explosion lasted between 13 and 25 million years. That's plenty of time for all major animal phyla to start appearing in the fossil record.

Here's a nice read for you. What sparked the Cambrian explosion?
that is wrong according to Erwin and Valentine in the book "the Cambrian explosion:the construction of animal biodiversity.

And your wrong on the dates, Erwin and Valentine give the brief geological time as 530 to 520 Ma.

You have to stretch the time l line and even then that is not enough time.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:22 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
The two authors being discussed are well qualified.

However, they are not the only professional voices in the debate.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Not sure what point you are trying to make with this claim.

Science is constantly updating because of new discoveries. This is how science works. Update does not mean things have changed to the point of erasing a scientific theory.

What was known 12 years ago and mentioned in the ID book has not changed.

I explained the point but you left it out of your quote of me.

Quote:
The National Center for Science Education and a team of consulting scientists prepared a detailed chapter-by-chapter, page-by-page analysis of the book’s errors, failings, and distortions.
And as I have shown with the junk dna they were wrong.

Quote:
ID folks post a lot of rubbish with respect to well established science.
LOL you guys just don't like any other view then your own, you hate your view being challenged which is a fundy trait.

Quote:
LOL prove it.
LOL if you know as much about this issue as you think you know you should have known this.

Quote:
You really belive every claim made by ID's when they lose at everything they try? When there is a detailed page by page critique of the book they put out that points out the books book’s errors, failings, and distortions? How can you believe anything they say?
LOL this is hilarious! Darwin never once discussed DNA because he did not know it existed or what it was. You appear to enjoy engaging in posting a lot of misinformation.

An out of date detail page by page critique which I have shown is in error in at least 2 places, their misrepresentation of what Behe said and in regards to junk dna.

Quote:
It's clear to me that you don't know anything about Darwin or what he stated
I said Darwinian proponents, not Darwin.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:52 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I know about the Cambrian explosion, and it is not a problem for evolution. Biologists have different views on what sparked the Cambrian explosion, but factors such as an increase in atmospheric oxygen could be one factor that would accelerate evolution. Views on how long the Cambrian explosion lasted range from 13 to 53 million years. Even at the low range estimate a lot of evolution can occur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post

You mean this Doug Erwin?
Doug Erwin is currently Senior Scientist and Curator of Paleobiology at the National Museum of Natural History of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D. C, and has been since 1990. He has also been a Senior Scientist since 2004. His primary research interests are in evolutionary novelty and innovation across biological, cultural and technological domains; the evolution of animal regulatory genomes; the origin and early evolution of animals; and the end-Permian mass extinction. [Bolding mine]

https://www.santafe.edu/people/profile/douglas-h-erwin
Erwin believes in evolution. Here is a review of his book ''The Cambrian Exolosion: the Constuction of Animal Biodiversity.
In The Cambrian Explosion, two paleontologists, Douglas Erwin and his former dissertation advisor James Valentine, document the explosion of diversity in the Cambrian, and the events leading up to it, in lavishly illustrated detail. This story begins with the origin about two billion years ago — by an Archaean incorporating bacterial symbionts capable of aerobic respiration — of eukaryotes. Transforming bacterial symbionts into the microscopic power plants we call mitochondria made possible the evolution of large multicellular organisms with division of labor among their cells (Lane and Martin [2010]). After outlining the plan of their book, they explain how one infers an evolutionary narrative from the geological record — how one tells the relative, and the absolute, ages of widely separated fossil deposits. They end the book's first section by discussing the environmental events (including two episodes when nearly all the earth froze!) associated with the gradual oxygenation of first the atmosphere, then the ocean, that set the stage for the explosive diversification of fossilizable life.

https://evolution-outreach.biomedcen...052-014-0022-3
It seems that Erwin does not agree with you and that you are misusing his work to defend your argument.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:03 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times
Quote:

And your wrong on the dates, Erwin and Valentine give the brief geological time as 530 to 520 Ma.

You have to stretch the time l line and even then that is not enough time.
You poor thing. You simply don't understand what Ma means in years.

530 Ma = 530 Million years. Yep, that's plenty of time for all major animal phyla to start appearing in the fossil record.

These authors claim it spanned over 530 million years. I would have to either read the book or confirm with the authors themselves to find out what they actually said.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:12 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,979 times
Doesn’t Evolution (theory) point out the sequence of events & Creationism (theory) ignores this sequence (eg: chickens having genetic possibility of teeth, dinosaurs similar to chickens and tailbones in humans etc)? Evolution suggests that all come from something - rather than creationism suggesting all originating from... what evidence?

Don’t get me wrong. I believe in both Intelligent Design and evolution. God created this world to evolve. I like to tell Atheists that their guru, Hawking, defined intelligent as “ability to adapt to change” which proves Intelligent Design! Just look up in the sky on a clear night or look at the perfectly geometrical shapes of a tiny insect or flower - proof of Intelligent Design is all around and within us!

While I strongly believe in God, I don’t subscribe to beliefs just because authorities say so. I’m interested in truth. The Adam and Eve parable was handed down to Judaism by Hinduism and Egyptian mythology as was much of the Bible. That doesn’t mean it’s all false - but rather the need to exercise critical thinking and spiritual discernment rather than deifying scriptures (idolatry/false gods).

And all for what?
Who am I? Knowing who I am (I AM that I AM) is important, if nothing else for peace of mind when it comes my point to exist stage left.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
And as I have shown with the junk dna they were wrong.
Nah it's you who is wrong. You misunderstand a lot of what you read and you also rely on those dishonest Discovery Institute blogs as your source of information.
Quote:
LOL you guys just don't like any other view then your own, you hate your view being challenged which is a fundy trait.
You simply wish this were the case but it's you who can't handle being shown that what you post is distorted misinformation.
Quote:
An out of date detail page by page critique which I have shown is in error in at least 2 places, their misrepresentation of what Behe said and in regards to junk dna.
You seem very confused here. The link I provided was a critique of an ID book that the ID folks have been trying to push into the science classrooms of public schools. A critique was done to show why this book is rubbish and not based on well established science. Who cares how old the book is? That's not the point.

It's a book written by your cult and was trying to be pushed into public schools.

The critique was done to demonstrate why this book should not be placed in public schools and taught as science. That's the point.
Quote:
I said Darwinian proponents, not Darwin.
Define a Darwin proponent for us.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
While I strongly believe in God, I don’t subscribe to beliefs just because authorities say so.
Belief has no place in science. Science is true regardless if you believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality