Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 12:22 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,385,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You mean this Doug Erwin?
Doug Erwin is currently Senior Scientist and Curator of Paleobiology at the National Museum of Natural History of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D. C, and has been since 1990. He has also been a Senior Scientist since 2004. His primary research interests are in evolutionary novelty and innovation across biological, cultural and technological domains; the evolution of animal regulatory genomes; the origin and early evolution of animals; and the end-Permian mass extinction. [Bolding mine]

https://www.santafe.edu/people/profile/douglas-h-erwin
Erwin believes in evolution. Here is a review of his book ''The Cambrian Exolosion: the Constuction of Animal Biodiversity.
In The Cambrian Explosion, two paleontologists, Douglas Erwin and his former dissertation advisor James Valentine, document the explosion of diversity in the Cambrian, and the events leading up to it, in lavishly illustrated detail. This story begins with the origin about two billion years ago — by an Archaean incorporating bacterial symbionts capable of aerobic respiration — of eukaryotes. Transforming bacterial symbionts into the microscopic power plants we call mitochondria made possible the evolution of large multicellular organisms with division of labor among their cells (Lane and Martin [2010]). After outlining the plan of their book, they explain how one infers an evolutionary narrative from the geological record — how one tells the relative, and the absolute, ages of widely separated fossil deposits. They end the book's first section by discussing the environmental events (including two episodes when nearly all the earth froze!) associated with the gradual oxygenation of first the atmosphere, then the ocean, that set the stage for the explosive diversification of fossilizable life.

https://evolution-outreach.biomedcen...052-014-0022-3
It seems that Erwin does not agree with you and that you are misusing his work to defend your argument.
Yup same guy Michael and while they are explaining it away they said "the move from micro to macro forms a discontinuity". I could quote a few other parts but you would probably say the same thing, I am misusing their work. Get the book, check it out.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
that is wrong according to Erwin and Valentine in the book "the Cambrian explosion:the construction of animal biodiversity.

They state that the move from micro to macro forms a discontinuity.

And your wrong on the dates, Erwin and Valentine give the brief geological time as 530 to 520 Ma.

You have to stretch the time l line and even then that is not enough time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You poor thing. You simply don't understand what Ma means in years.

530 Ma = 530 Million years. Yep, that's plenty of time for all major animal phyla to start appearing in the fossil record.

These authors claim it spanned over 530 million years. I would have to either read the book or confirm with the authors themselves to find out what they actually said.
I thought you knew something about this stuff, your really looking bad here Matadora. they are not saying the Cambrian explosion was 530MA (and yes I know it mean million of years) they are saying the Cambrian explosion took place between 530 to 520 Ma. that is a span of 10Ma.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post

Don’t get me wrong. I believe in both Intelligent Design and evolution.
Me too, but that does not matter to most this is an anti god propaganda forum

Old 10-05-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Nah it's you who is wrong. You misunderstand a lot of what you read and you also rely on those dishonest Discovery Institute blogs as your source of information.
You simply wish this were the case but it's you who can't handle being shown that what you post is distorted misinformation.

You seem very confused here. The link I provided was a critique of an ID book that the ID folks have been trying to push into the science classrooms of public schools. A critique was done to show why this book is rubbish and not based on well established science. Who cares how old the book is? That's not the point.

It's a book written by your cult and was trying to be pushed into public schools.

The critique was done to demonstrate why this book should not be placed in public schools and taught as science. That's the point.
Define a Darwin proponent for us.
Now you are starting to sound like trans, nothing of substance in your post.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:33 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
I thought you knew something about this stuff, your really looking bad here Matadora. they are not saying the Cambrian explosion was 530MA (and yes I know it mean million of years) they are saying the Cambrian explosion took place between 530 to 520 Ma. that is a span of 10Ma.
No I'm not looking bad here as you are hoping for.

I stated that the Cambrian explosion lasted between 13 and 25 million years. That's plenty of time for all major animal phyla to start appearing in the fossil record.

This means the span of time that this explosion occurred lasted between 13 and 25 million years.

You replied with this: " And your wrong on the dates, Erwin and Valentine give the brief geological time as 530 to 520 Ma."

No I was not wrong on the dates because I did not provide any dates. I provided a time span.

Erwin and Valentine did not state in their book that the span of time this explosion occurred was 530 to 520 Ma. You really need to work on your delivery and understanding of what you read.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Now you are starting to sound like trans, nothing of substance in your post.
I'll take this is you have no rebuttal since the evidence does not align with what you post.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
No I'm not looking bad here as you are hoping for.

I stated that the Cambrian explosion lasted between 13 and 25 million years. That's plenty of time for all major animal phyla to start appearing in the fossil record.

This means the span of time that this explosion occurred lasted between 13 and 25 million years.

You replied with this: " And your wrong on the dates, Erwin and Valentine give the brief geological time as 530 to 520 Ma."

No I was not wrong on the dates because I did not provide any dates. I provided a time span.

Erwin and Valentine did not state in their book that the span of time this explosion occurred was 530 to 520 Ma. You really need to work on your delivery and understanding of what you read.
I will just let your quote do the talking for me.

Quote:
You poor thing. You simply don't understand what Ma means in years.

530 Ma = 530 Million years. Yep, that's plenty of time for all major animal phyla to start appearing in the fossil record.

These authors claim it spanned over 530 million years. I would have to either read the book or confirm with the authors themselves to find out what they actually said.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I'll take this is you have no rebuttal since the evidence does not align with what you post.
Take it anyway you like

Old 10-05-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I will just let your quote do the talking for me.
Yep and nothing changes in doing that. You either don't understand what I posted or your inferred something that's not there. The only thing I left out was a question mark. Since you claimed the authors stated 530 Ma I questioned it without inserting a question mark but I thought the remaining sentence I wrote would make that clear to you that I was questioning your claims.

These authors claim it spanned over 530 million years?????? I would have to either read the book or confirm with the authors themselves to find out what they actually said.

Do the question marks make it easier for you to understand I was questioning your claims? The second sentence clearly shows I was.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Yep and nothing changes in doing that. You either don't understand what I posted or your inferred something that's not there.
This is not inferred, this is what you said.

Quote:
These authors claim it spanned over 530 million years.
You can back track all you like but everybody knows you just plain old fashioned blew it on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality