Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 02:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
While it is an interesting discussion, the topic wasn't about proving that a god might be possible and the different ways to describe how it might be possible. It assumed that the reader was wrong and that there is now proof of the opposite.
Indeed. Appealing to Quantum -Woo in hopes to dismiss science so that any God -claim looks more likely has always been a favourite of the Believers. Actually looking at the religion itself seems to be far less popular other than trying to debunk evolution in the cause of Bible literalism or arguing for the resurrection as reliable eyewitness testimony that would stand up in a court of law is almost as popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 04:52 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Indeed. Appealing to Quantum -Woo in hopes to dismiss science so that any God -claim looks more likely has always been a favourite of the Believers. Actually looking at the religion itself seems to be far less popular other than trying to debunk evolution in the cause of Bible literalism or arguing for the resurrection as reliable eyewitness testimony that would stand up in a court of law is almost as popular.
here you go again "appealing to quantum woo in hopes to dismiss science" for god. That is not what happens.

that is an absolute intentional to try and dismiss anybody that uses science to for a belief that you don't want. You are the one that actually dismisses science and avoid/shuns any claims that use science but don't directly attack believers.

you list out the evidence and see what the evidence is describing. Then ones belief align with what the evidence is describing.

"appealing to quantum woo" is not a line of logic. Its is more to attack the person and minimize the claim so that a less reliable claim can look like it is on equal footing.

People that are worried about (I would say scared of) being wrong deploy the tactic in this post.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 10-05-2020 at 05:06 AM..

Old 10-05-2020, 05:39 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would accept that god exists, but if it is the god of the OT, then I would not worship it.
Ditto

Old 10-05-2020, 06:59 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
here you go again "appealing to quantum woo in hopes to dismiss science" for god. That is not what happens.

that is an absolute intentional to try and dismiss anybody that uses science to for a belief that you don't want. You are the one that actually dismisses science and avoid/shuns any claims that use science but don't directly attack believers.

you list out the evidence and see what the evidence is describing. Then ones belief align with what the evidence is describing.

"appealing to quantum woo" is not a line of logic. Its is more to attack the person and minimize the claim so that a less reliable claim can look like it is on equal footing.

People that are worried about (I would say scared of) being wrong deploy the tactic in this post.
Arq, will not stop, Arach. His ego will not allow him to. He wants to eliminate belief in God not just the deleterious effects of religion, as he claims.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:46 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
he stops talking to people like me. People That don't care about what religious people say. We are not scarred by a theist, and do not have an ax to grind. we base no claim on faith.

He counts on well meaning people like 303 to bamboozle to just get out of his way. Its too bad they don't see it Castro-like all over again. like trans and mord tries to tell me. "Although the science is valid we need to avoid it so theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell.

their brand of atheism is based on faith that's why they have to outlaw facts.

they won't debate "pantheism is irrelevant" because once we debate their position it becomes more like faith based atheism

thats why they they avoid people that are free thinkers. All strong faith based people are afraid of free thinkers.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:03 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,131,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
...they they avoid people that are free thinkers. All strong faith based people are afraid of free thinkers.
Profound truth right there!
Both atheists and theists are critical of anyone who doesn’t go along with their herd mentality’s belief package.
If one is an independent thinker, there is no such label to describe their thinking.

I was just discussing with someone about prejudices inside the lds church (which I grew up with & still affiliate, though with boundaries). Some would say their main prejudice is blacks, others would say “non-members” - but who they avoid like the plague even more are those who have had a “faith crisis” &/or have come to see dysfunctional aspects of their belief package. In fact to be considered worthy they must promise not to affiliate with anyone who openly questions Mormon dogma. But it’s not just the lds - I’ve seen this with political herd mentalities (like ANTIFA) also.

“Speak nothing but the truth & you’ll soon be considered dangerous.” -A Brilliant

Old 10-05-2020, 11:27 AM

2,962 posts, read 864,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Arq, will not stop, Arach. His ego will not allow him to. He wants to eliminate belief in God not just the deleterious effects of religion, as he claims.
I agree, but I think it’s driven by more than just ego. I don’t think he’s as sure that God does not exist as his words and actions suggest. If he was so confident in his beliefs and truly desired to eliminate belief in God and the deleterious effects of religion, as he sees them, then being effective and striving to improve his efficacy would be a high priority to him, but it’s not. This leads me to believe his motivation is not really about achieving results from his efforts, but more about how the act of making the effort makes him feel in the moment (i.e. driven more by emotions than intellect). Do you agree?

Old 10-05-2020, 11:44 AM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I agree, but I think it’s driven by more than just ego. I don’t think he’s as sure that God does not exist as his words and actions suggest. If he was so confident in his beliefs and truly desired to eliminate belief in God and the deleterious effects of religion, as he sees them, then being effective and striving to improve his efficacy would be a high priority to him, but it’s not. This leads me to believe his motivation is not really about achieving results from his efforts, but more about how the act of making the effort makes him feel in the moment (i.e. driven more by emotions than intellect). Do you agree?
I think we could say something pretty much the same about you.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:47 AM

2,962 posts, read 864,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would accept that god exists, but if it is the god of the OT, then I would not worship it.
Thank you very much for the straightforward answer.
Since the Old Testament is also integral to Judaism and Islam, would you also refuse to worship the God of those religions if you found out conclusively that the God of either of them existed?

Old 10-05-2020, 11:53 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
I agree, but I think it’s driven by more than just ego. I don’t think he’s as sure that God does not exist as his words and actions suggest.
Gods, plural. And your usual non sequitur requires evidence.

Quote:
If he was so confident in his beliefs and truly desired to eliminate belief in God and the deleterious effects of religion, as he sees them, then being effective and striving to improve his efficacy would be a high priority to him, but it’s not. This leads me to believe his motivation is not really about achieving results from his efforts, but more about how the act of making the effort makes him feel in the moment (i.e. driven more by emotions than intellect).
The irony is you rationally argued your god out of existence, and have an emotional fear of dealing with rational arguments you do not like or can not handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality