Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2020, 08:25 AM

15,958 posts, read 7,021,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I think it's easy for someone who's in a hurry to get a list of the 613 to see the words 'Messianic Jewish Synagogue' and focus only on the words 'Jewish Synagogue,' not know the implication of the word 'Messianic,' assume it's a Jewish site, and click the 613 Mitzvot link. The quote from Matthew 5:17 should give a careful reader a clue something's not quite right, but imo the poster found a list and ran with it.
Sure, that is definitely possible. This is precisely the result of religious tourism, delving into other people’s religion to satisfy curiosity, with neither the respect nor seriousness of a scholar, but merely that of a voyeur. It is no different from snooping into other people’s private lives for kicks and gossip. This is no way to learn about religion, nor the people who follow it. It is deeply disrespectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 10:03 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Well, if you don't want to grasp the distinction between thanking your dad, or a cashier, or a stranger for giving you directions, or waitstaff for bringing you a meal, and thanking God for bringing a people to a land of milk and honey and the blessing as part of the covenant, I'll leave you to whatever the next number is.
Well I wouldn't put it that way...

I have a pretty good grasp of the difference between thanking a cashier and thanking God (for whatever). That's not what I was getting at with respect to what all there is to understand about this, but thanks as I do move on to the next number.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:13 AM

Nice to see a rather interesting discussion that continued after I signed off yesterday. For me that's the added value beyond just becoming familiar with the 613 commandments. As for where I live and what I should know given where I live, I'd say some of the comments assume a bit much in terms of what I should know and why. I live in the Bay Area (not in San Francisco). I moved to the Bay Area from Los Angeles in the late 70's to go to college. I've never been all that interested in quasi-religious groups and their newspaper adds. I've been able to learn what I've been able to learn based on what school required of me and whatever learning my interest lead me to gain over the decades that I have lived in the Bay Area (less the four years we lived in Hawaii).

At the time when I moved here, I was more interested in how the 9rs were doing than what fake religious groups were doing, and that's for the most part still the case. Sue me.

For whatever it is worth or if of interest to anyone, I've probably learned the most about Judaism as a result of participating in this forum. "Good, bad and ugly" as they say. My interest in getting better acquainted with the 613 also came about as a result of participating in this forum. Otherwise, as to the questions or concerns regarding my interest and/or intentions, I've thoroughly addressed them in other threads and most certainly in this one. Good enough for me. If not for you, again there are many other good interesting threads that will no doubt better suit you.

I'd also recommend we all lighten up a bit, because nobody is going to lose their religion here. I see no need to be hostile to one another in any case, no matter how slow my learning. No matter the missteps. No matter whether you believe me or not, about whatever I may choose to comment. I welcome all who wish to participate in that spirit, and even if not, feel free to comment what you like, but I stand by my words and explanations 100%, as sincere, honest and true of heart.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:19 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yes, correct. But he does not need to dress or wear emblems related strictly to Judaism. If he does his motive is questionable at many levels, in essence a camouflage. The military wants no e of that.
And he’s a Christian, not a Jew...

Old 11-16-2020, 10:21 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Nice to see a rather interesting discussion that continued after I signed off yesterday. For me that's the added value beyond just becoming familiar with the 613 commandments. As for where I live and what I should know given where I live, I'd say some of the comments assume a bit much in terms of what I should know and why. I live in the Bay Area (not in San Francisco). I moved to the Bay Area from Los Angeles in the late 70's to go to college. I've never been all that interested in quasi-religious groups and their newspaper adds. I've been able to learn what I've been able to learn based on what school required of me and whatever learning my interest lead me to gain over the decades that I have lived in the Bay Area (less the four years we lived in Hawaii).

At the time when I moved here, I was more interested in how the 9rs were doing than what fake religious groups were doing, and that's for the most part still the case. Sue me.

For whatever it is worth or if of interest to anyone, I've probably learned the most about Judaism as a result of participating in this forum. "Good, bad and ugly" as they say. My interest in getting better acquainted with the 613 also came about as a result of participating in this forum. Otherwise, as to the questions or concerns regarding my interest and/or intentions, I've thoroughly addressed them in other threads and most certainly in this one. Good enough for me. If not for you, again there are many other good interesting threads that will no doubt better suit you.

I'd also recommend we all lighten up a bit, because nobody is going to lose their religion here. I see no need to be hostile to one another in any case, no matter how slow my learning. No matter the missteps. No matter whether you believe me or not, about whatever I may choose to comment. I welcome all who wish to participate in that spirit, and even if not, feel free to comment what you like, but I stand by my words and explanations 100%, as sincere, honest and true of heart.
Well said.

I must admit I've not read every post in this thread. But you are aware, as a non-Jew, you only have 7 mitzvos incumbent upon you, right? The 613 is only required of the Yid.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:23 AM

27. Not to stand by idly when a human life is in danger (Lev. 19:16) (CCN82).

Now also, thanks to Good Samaritan laws, we are encouraged to get involved without fear that they will be sued if their actions inadvertently contribute to a person's injury or death...

Very recently my 90-year-old mother took a tumble on a path of grass just outside her apartment, while walking her dog. She couldn't get up on her own, and a few people who came upon her on the grass decided not to help her up for fear they might hurt her. The apartment manager also asked no one touch my mom until the paramedics arrived. All turned out okay except a bit of a bruised ego on the part of my mom, and many apologies for the "one time" she wasn't wearing her alert necklace, that would have alerted my nearby sister and avoided the unnecessary trip to the hospital.

Me. I think I would have helped the old lady up...

Old 11-16-2020, 10:26 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
27. Not to stand by idly when a human life is in danger (Lev. 19:16) (CCN82).

Now also, thanks to Good Samaritan laws, we are encouraged to get involved without fear that they will be sued if their actions inadvertently contribute to a person's injury or death...

Very recently my 90-year-old mother took a tumble on a path of grass just outside her apartment, while walking her dog. She couldn't get up on her own, and a few people who came upon her on the grass decided not to help her up for fear they might hurt her. The apartment manager also asked no one touch my mom until the paramedics arrived. All turned out okay except a bit of a bruised ego on the part of my mom, and many apologies for the "one time" she wasn't wearing her alert necklace, that would have alerted my nearby sister and avoided the unnecessary trip to the hospital.

Me. I think I would have helped the old lady up...
"Good Samaritan" is an oxymoron in Judaism. The Samaritans overarching goal was the removal of the Jew from existence. Kind of ironic that we use that term in a non-pejorative manner these days.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Well said.

I must admit I've not read every post in this thread. But you are aware, as a non-Jew, you only have 7 mitzvos incumbent upon you, right? The 613 is only required of the Yid.
Thanks. Please further understand. I'm not doing this thread, because I am interested in converting, to any religion. I don't believe I have any commandments or mitzvos incumbent upon me. This is academic learning for me. Not spiritual. Just as I have bothered to learn things about what Mormons believe. What Christians believe. What Muslims believe, and why. That's lots of learning of course, and why after many decades of learning what I have, there is still much to learn that is of genuine interest to me. Again for reasons I have explained in other threads and most certainly this one too.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
"Good Samaritan" is an oxymoron in Judaism. The Samaritans overarching goal was the removal of the Jew from existence. Kind of ironic that we use that term in a non-pejorative manner these days.
Also interesting! I'll admit I didn't know this either. Thanks!

Queue the next round of comments about all I should know and still don't, for whatever the reasons, but hey...

At least I am STILL learning unlike others who only seem interested in what they already know.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:35 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,415 times
Quote:
I was thinking of mentioning this. Good catch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality