Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2020, 10:40 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Still, if she tells me something that doesn't make sense to me, I ask questions to learn more until it does make sense to me. Or I decide not to accept what she is telling me and get a second opinion.

IOWs, there is a big difference between accepting that we all understand the English language, for example, and all of us accepting what we read that is written in English. Right?

We there yet?
I'm still confused by this statement. If my doctor tells me something that doesn't make sense to me, why would I think that asking questions could lead to my understanding? I mean, questions might help me, but they also might mislead me, arming me with a half-knowledge. The medical expert didn't get to the level of authority by reading a wiki page. The idea that the binary options are "ask until it makes sense" or "decide not to accept" seems to exclude "trust that there are things that an expert knows."

When the end result statements don't make sense to you, but you don't replicate the myriad steps the expert took (acquiring the foundational understanding, metaphorically, the alphabet) then you will end up building your final conclusions on stairs of sand.

And whether, in any particular case, you choose to ask questions which might lead to understanding or deny authority instead, seems capricious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 11:04 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
rosends,
I suspect we may be confusing "apples with oranges" here, or maybe it's semantics. Not sure, but let me give this another go and see if we can't better understand one another a little better about this too...Of course we all "accept" all manner of THINGS all the time, like our alphabet, our vocabulary, that you're there somewhere at the receiving end of this comment. However, those are not the sort of things I was referring to when it comes to what we assume vs critical thinking. I was referring to notions, concepts or beliefs of which there is no reason to presume validity. In those sorts of cases, I consider what claims are being made, that we are being asked to assume or accept. Then by way of study, research, learning and questions, I come to conclude what I do. Even in the case of medical diagnosis, I do the same (or who hasn't had the experience of inaccurate or bad medical advice?). I carefully consider my doctor's advice, and I for the most part trust her advice, because she has earned that respect from me. Still, if she tells me something that doesn't make sense to me, I ask questions to learn more until it does make sense to me. Or I decide not to accept what she is telling me and get a second opinion. IOWs, there is a big difference between accepting that we all understand the English language, for example, and all of us accepting what we read that is written in English. Right? We there yet?
regarding bold above,
no one is asking you to accept anything.
no one is asking you to assume anything.

that claim being made (that you are "being asked to assume or accept" anything) is not correct.
so the conclusions that flow from that erroneous claim, are also not valid.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:02 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Since this entire thread is being executed using only written Torah with a total absence of Oral Torah (Talmud), would it be fair to say that the entire thread is almost entirely useless and misleading? No Jew would ever accept the benefit of learning Torah without also consulting the Talmud to understand what it really means.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:48 PM

yes it is fair to say that.
it is like someone trying to read a book or an article with 85% of the sentences randomly removed.
And trying to make sense of what it says.

it is not a recipe for understanding.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:07 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes it is fair to say that.
it is like someone trying to read a book or an article with 85% of the sentences randomly removed.
And trying to make sense of what it says.

it is not a recipe for understanding.
But the thread has been entertaining nonetheless. I just thought it relevant to point out that LearnMe is not actually learning Torah in this thread. He seems to like the sociology aspect thought, and that’s fine by me.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
But the thread has been entertaining nonetheless. I just thought it relevant to point out that LearnMe is not actually learning Torah in this thread. He seems to like the sociology aspect thought, and that’s fine by me.
the thread has been an excellent venue for bringing forth and sharing many elements of yiddishkeit, for readers and viewers now and in the future. many people have written to me with comments of appreciation on what has been shared. it amazes me that posts continue to be read 5, 6, even 10 years later.

gam zu l'tova

That is a phrase that translates to "this too is good." it is a recognition that whatever Hashem sends to us, it contains within it blessings, even if it may not appear that way on the surface. When we declare "gam zu l'tova" it calls forth the blessings. The act of our saying the prayer creates the vessel to receive the blessings that Hashem is always pouring forth for us in abundance.

one of my favorite stories is of Nachum ish Gamzu
it begins this way.....and the link is below for more

"The most interesting thing about him is his strange nickname: He was known as "Nachum ish gam zu," "Nachum the man of 'this too.'"
He was not only a very saintly man but also a great Talmid Chacham (scholar). He used to say that whatever The Almighty chose to do was for good, for the best. So, even when some misfortune would befall him be would invariably say, "This too is for good." Because be was always heard saying, "This too is for good," he came to be known by the nickname "Nachum Gam-Zu" ("This too").

"It happened that the Roman Emperor issued a very severe decree against the Jews and the Sages decided that someone must go and speak with the Emperor to remove the decree. After serious thought they decided that the best person to represent them would be Nachum Gam-Zu, because it was said that miracles were always happening to him. The Sages put together a beautiful collection of jewels and precious stones in a lovely jewel-box and gave the box to Nachum Gam-Zu to take to the Emperor...."

https://www.jewishgardens.com/templa...do/aid/3701267

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-28-2020 at 06:50 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 05:52 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
63. To be fruitful and multiply (Gen. 1:28) (CCA43).
NO LINK, I'll be corrected if wrong. The last I knew for U.S. Jews, except for Orthodox, Hasidic Jews, the fertility rate lags a little behind other religious groups. My guess is many if not most Jewish couples aren't fruitfully multiplying as much as the Mitzvah expects.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
NO LINK, I'll be corrected if wrong. The last I knew for U.S. Jews, except for Orthodox, Hasidic Jews, the fertility rate lags a little behind other religious groups. My guess is many if not most Jewish couples aren't fruitfully multiplying as much as the Mitzvah expects.
How much do you think the mitzvah expects (just curious)?

Old 12-29-2020, 08:12 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
How much do you think the mitzvah expects (just curious)?
I think others have used Chabad as a source:

"The minimum requirement of this mitzvah is to have a son and a daughter.9"

Footnote 9 - The opinion of Beit Hillel in Yevamot 61b.

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...d-Multiply.htm

You'll know how the ins and outs of how halakha and yebamots deal with fruitful and multiply.

I don't have an opinion on how many children any individual Jewish person needs to check-off that mitzvah.

Last edited by jazzarama; 12-29-2020 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-29-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I think others have used Chabad as a source:

"The minimum requirement of this mitzvah is to have a son and a daughter.9"

Footnote 9 - The opinion of Beit Hillel in Yevamot 61b.

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...d-Multiply.htm

You'll know how the ins and outs of how halakha and yebamots deal with fruitful and multiply.

I don't have an opinion on how many children any individual Jewish person needs to check-off that mitzvah.
The standard expectation is, as you state, a girl and a boy. This is a way to ensure that the absolute number of Jews stays the same, assuming both parets are Jewish. Yevamot is the name of the talmudic tractate in which this law is codified (there are other opinions, such as two boys, or two boys and two girls). Yevamot also means "Levirates" as in the levirate marriage in which the brother of a married man who died before having children marries his late-brother's wife so that the children will be "credited" to his dead brother.

Last edited by rosends; 12-29-2020 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality