Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2021, 11:16 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hence my use of the term "outside the context of Judaism".

It was understood some time ago that the OP is attempting to look at the 613 from the POV of a non-religious person with no real interest in the intricacies of what they mean to the adherents of the religion within which they were established.
It was also understood a long time ago by me, that the OP is primarily interested in displaying the superiority of his Ten Truths as the ONLY way to understand or justify what we should believe. His interest is in exposing that superiority on existing beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 11:56 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know. Ask the OP.
Sure. Except that would be off topic. It is a fool proof thread.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:30 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Sure. Except that would be off topic. It is a fool proof thread.
OP gave some reasons for the thread in Post No. 1.

Old 01-10-2021, 05:28 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Question becomes what is corner stone and what is weak foundation that should be replaced?

Your comment and a few others since I signed off from this thread yesterday brings this quote to mind (that often comes to my mind when I swim in the waters of this forum)...

"I am certainly not an advocate for frequent and untried changes in laws and constitutions, I think moderate imperfections had better be borne with; because, when once known, we accommodate ourselves to them and find practical means of correcting their ill effects. But I know, also, that laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths disclosed, and manners and opinions change with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also, and keep pace with the times."

"We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy, as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

--Thomas Jefferson to Samuel Kercheval, 1816.
OK, Another Biblical concept... milk and meat. The idea of progression is true and remains within 'truth' as long as the progression does not remove or supplant the original intent. As an example... A child requires milk NOT meat to properly develop, but as we grow ... we need 'more'. Therefore, if the original law helped us grow (spiritually withy wisdom) as our ancestors did, and we graft in new social realities without rejecting the original intent by God, IMO... that's positive growth and is a sign of life and spiritual maturity. Keep in mind *all living things (organisms) self replicate and organizations do not.

People, especially Theologians ... tend to complicate complex matters. Jesus on the other hand tends to simplify matters, especially areas of the law and His 'closing argument' was = Love God and love others. Think of a funnel with all the laws of God and man pouring in... and yet the 'way is narrow' at the bottom.

Einstein also said "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler".

Old 01-10-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I ask you, where have all the original buildings and their corner stones in our cities gone.
It's not a literal concept. However think of it in terms of numbers or letters. Even today computers still us 0 (zero) and 1 (one) for language.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
It's not a literal concept. However think of it in terms of numbers or letters. Even today computers still us 0 (zero) and 1 (one) for language.
No doubt about that Dave. There are some corner stones that are worthy to remain. Well, that and some are just flat coded in so they aint going anywhere.

"magic type" beliefs are like the candle cornerstone of long ago other light sources in 2020.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 01-10-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 01-11-2021, 05:19 AM

And secular beliefs are like a bill board always telling us "It's new, but wait... there's more".

Old 01-11-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
And secular beliefs are like a bill board always telling us "It's new, but wait... there's more".
yes ...exactly. Thats the beauty of it. We can discover something new tonight that makes everything we said today wrong.

"I was wrong my whole life! How cool is that."

Old 01-11-2021, 08:49 AM

P.T. Barnum's most famous words applies to secularism

Old 01-11-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
P.T. Barnum's most famous words applies to secularism
and sometimes so does flat commonsense. Atheist believe in lots of belief in things that are past my kind of atheism but still fit atheism. From living planet to cosmic mind.

There are plenty of over laps between religion and secular. In fact I think we agree more than we disagree. There is no reason why rational believers in anything have to listen to narrowminded shallow thinkers. Weather they are theist or atheist.

The war between religion and science is a made up battle by people that are trying to force their morals on the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality