Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2021, 12:06 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Your comment lingered on my mind a bit after signing of yesterday as well...

I thought I should have thanked you for being a bit more fair and above board with your questions. Also to compliment you on your ongoing display of math prowess. On the one hand you seem to be impatient with how I am going about this thread, and yet you keep returning. Not sure why that is given our freedom to visit other threads and ignore this one, but maybe you can provide a brief synopsis of your reason(s)?

I would elaborate a bit more about mine, but I've pretty well explained myself enough times before, and you seem to see my efforts to do so as nothing more than "verbiage," so I'm not feeling too inclined to try any harder this morning.

Fair?
You've emphasized your interest in learning and understanding multiple times. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what if anything you've learned or understand better about Judaism than prior to this exercise. You have every right not to answer, and instead move on to 77.

I'm not impatient and have learned some new things and refreshed my memory about Judaism along the way. For example, I never knew what the Talmud said about 'be fruitful and multiply'; now I know. As a non-religious person myself, who happens to know more about Judaism than most non-Jews, the info and interaction on this thread is worth a few minutes of my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 12:22 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You've emphasized your interest in learning and understanding multiple times. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what if anything you've learned or understand better about Judaism than prior to this exercise. You have every right not to answer, and instead move on to 77.

I'm not impatient and have learned some new things and refreshed my memory about Judaism along the way. For example, I never knew what the Talmud said about 'be fruitful and multiply'; now I know. As a non-religious person myself, who happens to know more about Judaism than most non-Jews, the info and interaction on this thread is worth a few minutes of my time.
Jazzarama, if you wish to know what the Talmud said, you are welcome to bring any questions you may have to the Judaism subforum.

From the Moderators' note in the first post in this thread:

Moderators' note: For those unfamiliar with the "613 commandments" of Jewish tradition, these were enumerated by rabbinical scholars in the Middle Ages. It is important to note that the 613 commandments, and even the idea that there are 613 of them, developed through the lens of Judaism. Their application is therefore only brought to the fore as they apply to and are understood by Jews and the only way to investigate them properly is in the context of millennia of Jewish thought. Anyone who wishes to delve into the 613 with this understanding in mind may bring their questions to the Judaism subforum.

To clear up any confusion or contention, this topic here primarily focuses on the presumed relevance or irrelevance of the 613 in terms of secular, modern-day thought. It is the OP's prerogative to discuss the 613 in such terms.

-- The Moderators for the Religion & Spirituality Forum and Subforums.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:55 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
so atheists who discard the Creator want to dissect a holy text based on connecting with the Creator. Atheists who want to focus on the secular, choose to dissect a sacred text. Atheists who state they don't want to learn about ethics or morality, seek to dissect a text that is about ethics and morality.

the phrase that comes to mind is, in what universe does that make any sense? my view is that is not a rational act. my view is that is not behavior that makes sense. certainly anyone can start a thread about anything. the corollary is, of course, that readers are free to state our opinions, like i am doing here.

it would be like someone who does not own a car, wandering into the auto repair forum and saying auto repair is irrelevant. they don't
believe in owning or driving a car, they believe cars are harmful, so they choose to plop themself down in the auto repair forum and start a thread with the stated purpose of going through a 613-page auto repair manual, one page at a time, and saying let's talk about flower arrangement since i don't own a car, i have no interest in cars, cars are irrelevant. but i really want people in this thread to talk about flower arrangement. This manual talks about carburetors and crank shafts and gear ratios. Clearly it is irrelevant and needs to be modified and adapted to include flower arranging, bouquets, boutonnières, fragrance, and color palettes.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-12-2021 at 08:10 PM..

Old 01-13-2021, 10:50 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:

Fair enough...

I have no problem explaining what you would like me to explain, but please understand the many times and the many ways I have described my interests here. They are many; to learn, to exchange opinion and perspective with others, to consider these commandments in the context of the day they were written and their relevance today. Both objectively and as others may explain who are believers in Judaism. To consider how others react to my interests and process here. To address all "good, bad and ugly" that may get posted here by others. To have a bit of fun along the way if possible as well.

All that verbiage aside, I'll make a deal with you. You provide me your brief synopsis along the lines you ask of me, and I'll provide you mine. I will use no more words than you do, so as not to be accused of superfluous verbiage, and after reading your synopsis, I'll have a better idea of what you are asking of me.

Fair?

Personally, I'm not sure the value of doing so when we're only a small percentage of the way done. (I'll leave you to reminding us the count). Also, the commandments reviewed so far were grouped together according to the subject they address, so any synopsis at this point would be skewed according to those topics as opposed to all 613 as a whole.

Not sure who really cares about my synopsis either way, other than you, but I've got no reservations about sharing my opinion(s) in any case. I'm sure anyone who knows me at all well can rest assured about that.

Thanks again for your interest and approach!

Old 01-13-2021, 10:52 AM

78. That one who divorced his wife shall not remarry her, if after the divorce she had been married to another man (Deut. 24:4) (CCN134).

Old 01-13-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Fair enough...

I have no problem explaining what you would like me to explain, but please understand the many times and the many ways I have described my interests here. They are many; to learn, to exchange opinion and perspective with others, to consider these commandments in the context of the day they were written and their relevance today. Both objectively and as others may explain who are believers in Judaism. To consider how others react to my interests and process here. To address all "good, bad and ugly" that may get posted here by others. To have a bit of fun along the way if possible as well.

All that verbiage aside, I'll make a deal with you. You provide me your brief synopsis along the lines you ask of me, and I'll provide you mine. I will use no more words than you do, so as not to be accused of superfluous verbiage, and after reading your synopsis, I'll have a better idea of what you are asking of me. Fair? Personally, I'm not sure the value of doing so when we're only a small percentage of the way done. (I'll leave you to reminding us the count). Also, the commandments reviewed so far were grouped together according to the subject they address, so any synopsis at this point would be skewed according to those topics as opposed to all 613 as a whole. Not sure who really cares about my synopsis either way, other than you, but I've got no reservations about sharing my opinion(s) in any case. I'm sure anyone who knows me at all well can rest assured about that.

Thanks again for your interest and approach!
it was a simple question. it was a reasonable question.
the post asked what you've learned so far.

it is not rational that a "synopsis" from someone else is needed for you to answer the simple question that was posed "what you have learned so far."

note, that is not the same question as "what is the purpose of the thread." It is a different question.
simple question. evasive non-answer.
duly noted.

many readers would like to know the answer to the simple reasonable pertinent relevant question asked. Including me.
Quote:

Old 01-13-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it was a simple question. it was a reasonable question.
the post asked what you've learned so far.

it is not rational that a "synopsis" from someone else is needed for you to answer the simple question that was posed "what you have learned so far."

note, that is not the same question as "what is the purpose of the thread." It is a different question.
simple question. evasive non-answer.
duly noted.

many readers would like to know the answer to the simple reasonable pertinent relevant question asked. Including me.
It is a simple question. It still is a reasonable question. From a rational and reasonable person...

It is also entirely rational for me to ask the same thing in return. To get a better idea of what is being asked of me and so as not to repeat any complaints about unnecessary "verbiage."

For a variety of reasons having to do with rationality and reasonableness, you know I've made a point of avoiding exchange with you, but I'm making this exception as I sign off from this forum again today. Why I'm not sure, but perhaps more for the purpose of communicating with jazzarama, the person who first asked for a synopsis. The person I was actually addressing with my comment you are quoting.

If you want to persist, however, I would appreciate your synopsis with respect to your claim you are interested in mine. Reason? You have posted countless comments about how you are not interested in me or anything about this thread. So why now the sudden interest? You also didn't respond to those questions with respect to why a commandment or two was relevant to you today.

All duly noted as well.

Another good day to you...

Old 01-13-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
It is a simple question. It still is a reasonable question. From a rational and reasonable person...It is also entirely rational for me to ask the same thing in return. To get a better idea of what is being asked of me and so as not to repeat any complaints about unnecessary "verbiage."
For a variety of reasons having to do with rationality and reasonableness, you know I've made a point of avoiding exchange with you, but I'm making this exception as I sign off from this forum again today. Why I'm not sure, but perhaps more for the purpose of communicating with jazzarama, the person who first asked for a synopsis. The person I was actually addressing with my comment you are quoting.

If you want to persist, however, I would appreciate your synopsis with respect to your claim you are interested in mine. Reason? You have posted countless comments about how you are not interested in me or anything about this thread. So why now the sudden interest? You also didn't respond to those questions with respect to why a commandment or two was relevant to you today.
All duly noted as well. Another good day to you...
1. it's a public forum. comments are for public discussion. everyone gets to read, everyone gets to comment, everyone gets to chime in. it is not a private conversation.
2. if someone wants a private conversation, there is a different route for that.
3. we don't discuss people and individuals, we discuss topics and views.
4. the opening post view has claimed and reiterated throughout the thread the desire to learn and understand more. as that is the stated objective for the thread, that is the reason readers are asking (as in post #961) of the opening poster which started this thread topic: "what if anything you've learned or understand better about the 613 than prior to this exercise."
5. of course each of us is free to comment---or not. to answer questions---or not. that is a given.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-13-2021 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-13-2021, 06:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
1. it's a public forum. comments are for public discussion. everyone gets to read, everyone gets to comment, everyone gets to chime in. it is not a private conversation.
2. if someone wants a private conversation, there is a different route for that.
3. we don't discuss people and individuals, we discuss topics and views.
4. the opening post view has claimed and reiterated throughout the thread the desire to learn and understand more. as that is the stated objective for the thread, that is the reason readers are asking (as in post #961) of the opening poster which started this thread topic: "what if anything you've learned or understand better about the 613 than prior to this exercise."
5. of course each of us is free to comment---or not. to answer questions---or not. that is a given.
Very kind of you to teach us all the proper way to conduct ourselves on the interwebs.

Whatever would we do without such gurus?

One shudders at the thought.

If you truly cared to relegate a thread which you find repulsive to the scrap heap of indifference, you, and other offended j-ws would let the OP meander on for a few hundred more posts without responding.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Very kind of you to teach us all the proper way to conduct ourselves on the interwebs.

Whatever would we do without such gurus?

One shudders at the thought.

If you truly cared to relegate a thread which you find repulsive to the scrap heap of indifference, you, and other offended j-ws would let the OP meander on for a few hundred more posts without responding.
Right?

Have to get a chuckle at the public forum lesson and all the rest given so many comments I've posted in this thread about the freedom(s) we all enjoy along those lines here. One of them as you also note, but no matter! There is just no getting through to some people no matter what you do. They are obviously not interested in sharing. For some it's all about glaring. Just glaring, and they are glaringly obvious about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality