Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 04:36 PM

34,984 posts, read 16,947,290 times

Advertisements

Today I played tennis in the morning. Right afterward I donated blood. The sky was a beautiful blue, and it was an unseasonable 77° or so. When I came home I went outside to read. It was a relaxing day, with no work until Tuesday, because the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur starts at sundown today and stretches to sundown tomorrow. The weather was idyllic, and with tennis and blood donation I had a constructive and satisfying day. Yet something felt terribly, terribly wrong.

Yom Kippur is in many ways the keystone holiday on the Jewish calendar. This is the holiday where Jews atone for their sins to G-d, and are supposed to consider what they need to do to atone for the parts of those sins that are again man. Traditionally the holiday calls for a food and water fast for its duration. This is not as hard as it seems since it starts an hour before sundown, and stretches through the hours when you sleep. Starting after what would be lunchtime the fasting gets rougher, especially the part of "no water." Then, shortly after sundown (traditionally one hour) the relief of "fast-break" comes.

This comes with a cycle of services and sometimes seminars. The opening service is Kol Nidre, the breaking of all vows to G-d. Let's face it, people make promises they intend to, but cannot keep. Our synagogue is large to we split attendance by halves of the alphabet, but I digress. Any year that the service does not start on Friday night, it is also marked by the blast of the shofar. The next day one is pretty much in temple the whole day while the fast proceeds. There is, at our temple, an alternative seminar on subjects of Jewish interest, primarily for the holders of "early" service tickets. I usually attend that and read the sermon online when I have the "late" half. The services march into a Yizkor service, to remember the deceased, and conclude in a beautiful Neilah service. Followed by a delicious fast break.

This year, coronavirus has marred or ruined the holiday season. Whereas normally one greets people that they haven't seen since last year, and dress up, as well as commiserate about the fast, this year it is all on streaming platforms. It is not the same.

I will say that I had been brooding about this holiday a lot. One reason I donated blood today was that it was the first day I was eligible after my last donation, August 2. Also, more significantly, I wanted to do something that would benefit both G-d and people if I didn't fast, or make it through.

And fittingly, as I ate my dinner on the patio, it suddenly started to rain lightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 05:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
I have a hunch you'll be forgiven.

Old 09-27-2020, 05:25 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,869,219 times
I'm about to ZOOM into my congregation's online Kol Nidre service tonight, but first I had to respond to this. Not only do I believe that you are forgiven (as TroutDude says), but I am sure that HaShem loves your selfless and meaningful act of giving blood in case you don't make it through the fast.

May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year, dear Jbgusa.

Old 09-27-2020, 05:31 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,562,236 times
forgiven implies somehow judged.

My guess, and I have it on good authority, you may have sent a ripple of joy through this universe.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
forgiven implies somehow judged.
We were created as imperfect. Atonement to G-d reflects that obvious fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
My guess, and I have it on good authority, you may have sent a ripple of joy through this universe.
Thanks. I hope so.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:00 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,600,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We were created as imperfect. Atonement to G-d reflects that obvious fact.

Thanks. I hope so.
why?

Old 09-28-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
why?
Read up the thread. If you can say you've been perfect your whole life, unless you are one day old, you win.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
no, tell me why we are created imperfect?
Ask Adam and Eve why they were evicted from the Garden of Eden. It's the Yetzer Rah (sp).

Old 09-28-2020, 08:51 AM

1,474 posts, read 477,365 times
Quote:
who evicted them and why?

remember we're talking about an all loving and all powerful god that can do anything, like forgive, with just a thought.
It wasn't eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil that brought the judgement, it was Adam's response to God after he ate that fruit. Blaming God and the woman, and calling God the sinner. Adam chose not to own any of it.

Adam didn't seek the mercy seat, and because of his response of judgement against God, was blocked from eating the fruit from the tree of life.

And the way to atonement is pronounced in God's judgement on the serpents head, through the seed of the woman. They were put out of the Garden of Eden, but not without the hope of return. Repentance means to turn around and return. As God accepts the death judgement and fulfills the whole law, which is why now there is the application of blood in the Holy of Hollies which contains the mercy seat, the Ark of the Covenant, under the wings of the Cheribum, who guard the way to the entrance of the Garden of Eden and the fruit from the tree of life. And inside the Ark of the Covenant is Arron's staff that budded, which means God does not lead down a dead end road.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:03 AM

I am reposting the OP since the thread is derailed. I gave that post a lot of thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Today I played tennis in the morning. Right afterward I donated blood. The sky was a beautiful blue, and it was an unseasonable 77° or so. When I came home I went outside to read. It was a relaxing day, with no work until Tuesday, because the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur starts at sundown today and stretches to sundown tomorrow. The weather was idyllic, and with tennis and blood donation I had a constructive and satisfying day. Yet something felt terribly, terribly wrong.

Yom Kippur is in many ways the keystone holiday on the Jewish calendar. This is the holiday where Jews atone for their sins to G-d, and are supposed to consider what they need to do to atone for the parts of those sins that are again man. Traditionally the holiday calls for a food and water fast for its duration. This is not as hard as it seems since it starts an hour before sundown, and stretches through the hours when you sleep. Starting after what would be lunchtime the fasting gets rougher, especially the part of "no water." Then, shortly after sundown (traditionally one hour) the relief of "fast-break" comes.

This comes with a cycle of services and sometimes seminars. The opening service is Kol Nidre, the breaking of all vows to G-d. Let's face it, people make promises they intend to, but cannot keep. Our synagogue is large to we split attendance by halves of the alphabet, but I digress. Any year that the service does not start on Friday night, it is also marked by the blast of the shofar. The next day one is pretty much in temple the whole day while the fast proceeds. There is, at our temple, an alternative seminar on subjects of Jewish interest, primarily for the holders of "early" service tickets. I usually attend that and read the sermon online when I have the "late" half. The services march into a Yizkor service, to remember the deceased, and conclude in a beautiful Neilah service. Followed by a delicious fast break.

This year, coronavirus has marred or ruined the holiday season. Whereas normally one greets people that they haven't seen since last year, and dress up, as well as commiserate about the fast, this year it is all on streaming platforms. It is not the same.

I will say that I had been brooding about this holiday a lot. One reason I donated blood today was that it was the first day I was eligible after my last donation, August 2. Also, more significantly, I wanted to do something that would benefit both G-d and people if I didn't fast, or make it through.

And fittingly, as I ate my dinner on the patio, it suddenly started to rain lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality