Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 05:27 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times

Advertisements

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate_of_the_unlearned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 05:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
sign me up for virtuous pagans.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:01 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It’s a list of people who lived before Jesus, saved by their faith in God, through the future redemptive work of Jesus.
Thanks.
Can you elaborate with an example as to how this works?

Old 10-08-2020, 08:40 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Thanks.
Can you elaborate with an example as to how this works?
Read the story of Abraham in Genesis, especially the episode with his son Issac. Or Noah. Or Daniel. Or Joseph.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:54 PM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are many things that appear to be intrinsic to human beings. They are not all accurate or real, and they are not all good.
Yes, cognitive bias leads us to many false beliefs.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:51 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlysalt2020 View Post
This question isn't specific to any religion, but if you are a believer in some religion, what do you think happens to those humans who lived before your religion existed? What about those lived after, but were never exposed to your religion (natives in areas before colonization, current isolated tribes for example)? What about the other human like species that lived before your religion, such as the Neanderthals?
Resurrection to life on earth but an earth free of corruption.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:26 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Jehovah says He has made Himself known, so there is no excuse.
Makes you wonder why, just before Jesus ascended into Heaven, He made a point of telling His Apostles to preach His gospel to every nation, kindred and tongue. It was almost as if He realized that there was a need for them to do this. I guess He didn't realize that everyone would come to know the truth simply by osmosis -- even those people who had already died. I wonder why He didn't say, "By the way, don't bother spending the rest of your lives teaching people about me, since they have no excuse for not knowing, even if nobody tells them."

Old 10-10-2020, 09:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Read the story of Abraham in Genesis, especially the episode with his son Issac. Or Noah. Or Daniel. Or Joseph.
No, he didn't ask you for a reading list; he asked you to explain how your claim works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Resurrection to life on earth but an earth free of corruption.
That sounds fine but really makes no sense. If it was as easy as that, why not just do it?

Old 10-10-2020, 10:16 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Makes you wonder why, just before Jesus ascended into Heaven, He made a point of telling His Apostles to preach His gospel to every nation, kindred and tongue. It was almost as if He realized that there was a need for them to do this. I guess He didn't realize that everyone would come to know the truth simply by osmosis -- even those people who had already died. I wonder why He didn't say, "By the way, don't bother spending the rest of your lives teaching people about me, since they have no excuse for not knowing, even if nobody tells them."
Uh, in a way He did, Katz.

Hebrews 8:7-13 King James Version (KJV)

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:16 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Uh, in a way He did, Katz.

Hebrews 8:7-13 King James Version (KJV)

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
Okay, but how do you reconcile this with Jesus' instructions to His Apostles that they "teach all nations"? I would agree with you that God himself (rather than human beings, a book, etc.) is the source of all of the truths we come to learn about Him, but when fundies condemn non-believers and say that they have "no excuse" for not believing, that's ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality