Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 03:18 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Fine. Be that way. Honestly...I could say water is wet and you'd still argue with me after falling into a pool. Because it's me. And because you're just that way.

Please. Show me the verse where the Bible actually says it.
You're right. It probably isn't in the bible. I guess it doesn't matter how many christians say it (or something similar). I guess it doesn't matter that I've heard ministers say it.

But it will matter in the future when you post -- and I'm going repeatedly say show me where it says whatever your bring up in the bible. So just remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 04:16 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're right. It probably isn't in the bible. I guess it doesn't matter how many christians say it (or something similar). I guess it doesn't matter that I've heard ministers say it.

But it will matter in the future when you post -- and I'm going repeatedly say show me where it says whatever your bring up in the bible. So just remember that.
he follows his holy book and you follow yours. And toss them at people every now and again.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:08 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Suicide was the punishment.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:12 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Suicide was the punishment.
For my son, life was the punishment and suicide was the escape.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:08 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
So does god give us "stuff" he knows we can't handle? That doesn't sound very loving.
Ahem, phet, please don't use my posts to make it sound as if I said something I didn't.

I never said God gives us "stuff" in the first place. "Stuff" happens, and sometimes we can handle it, and sometimes we can't.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:16 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a friend who shot himself in the head about 25 years ago. His wife had taken his kids and moved to another state and he didn't have the money for a lawyer because he'd lost his job. He had a chronic illness. He just gave up.

That Sunday, his parents went to church, where one of their Christian brothers said to them, "I'm sorry to hear about your son, but you know he went to straight to hell for what he did."

It's my opinion that this man should go straight to hell for what he said, but fortunately for him, I do not have the authority to make that call.

So, no, I don't believe that Christianity--which is how it is actually spelled--overall believes what that man said. I think some rotten people who hide behind the church would like to think that, because a disturbing percentage of Christians seem to take a special delight in the idea of other people in hell. Hopefully, the percentage who do not feel that way is much higher.

However, if we go back to the root of Christianity--the teachings of Christ--then nah, a person's suicide should only bring forth love and sympathy and sorrow, not condemnation.
I agree.

I have a cousin that killed herself and her mom told me that (some of the moms friends) told her the same thing. I cannot imagine what kind of a cruel person could say that to a family member.

I consider myself to be a Christian and I believe that God knows what is in our hearts. Someone that commits suicide is in so much pain they are not thinking of anyone or anything but getting rid of the pain. I believe that God is merciful and forgiving.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 10-10-2020 at 09:25 PM..

Old 10-10-2020, 10:08 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Ahem, phet, please don't use my posts to make it sound as if I said something I didn't.

I never said God gives us "stuff" in the first place. "Stuff" happens, and sometimes we can handle it, and sometimes we can't.
One of the things that we seem to have a problem with in this forum is trying to distinguish between what god actually said (does the bible actually say what god actually said?), and what various christians say god said.

I'm going to say again that I have heard christians AND ministers AND priests say that god never gives us situations that we can't handle. And then we get into the problem of what god gives us, and what just happens, and how christians often deal with that little debate, as well. And when that debate comes up, what's a common christian response? Something along the lines of, "God works in mysterious ways".

I don't think I said that you said "that". I simply asked a question.

And how is that any different then when someone questions me about something in Buddhism and acts as if I personally speak for Buddhism?

One of the problems with christianity is that in almost anything, you (royal you) cannot say, "Christians believe __________". We have a thread in this forum about whether or not the Adam and Eve story was real or a fable. We have had discussions about whether the Great Flood was real or a fable. I have talked to devout christians who believe that Jesus rising from the dead is a...what...analogy to make a point, but didn't really happen. Even in this very thread there is widespread disagreement about the answer to the topic question. Christians here get upset when one of us atheists mention the dozens, hundreds, even thousands of denominations within christianity. And they try to sweep the differences under the rug, so to speak. But it isn't even the differences between denominations. Right around the time that I went to college, my Catholic church got into near physical altercations over whether or not to rebel against the priest who had been assigned to our parish. In Falls Church, a church was involved in a lawsuit over who owned the church property when a split got so bitter the church literally resolved into a full scale rebellion about various issues (that was part of a national news story).

And I know it's not just christianity. When I asked the abbot of our local temple if he had ever been to Tibet, he said he had for several months. And when I asked how he compared Theravada with Mahayana Buddhism, he said, "I never knew what they were doing". Jeepers. And then add in Zen.

As a former principal, when my faculty was in disarray over some particular topic, and some parent in a meeting would ask why the faculty couldn't speak as one...well, it wasn't an easy situation to deal with. So I know it's hard.

But if tomorrow somebody said to me, "Phet, you need to return to christianity", my answer would be: "Southern Baptist? Roman Catholic? Mormon? Jehovah Witness? Seventh Day Adventist? Quaker?...and on and on".

Honestly, for those who are christians...you've gotta get your act together before you go out recruiting others. When you have situations when christians are killing other christians over christianity, you (again, royal you) don't have a solid foundation to preach to others. Just ask Joe and Hyrum Smith.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:39 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
For my son, life was the punishment and suicide was the escape.
Sorry to hear that.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:44 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
One of the things that we seem to have a problem with in this forum is trying to distinguish between what god actually said (does the bible actually say what god actually said?), and what various christians say god said.

I'm going to say again that I have heard christians AND ministers AND priests say that god never gives us situations that we can't handle. And then we get into the problem of what god gives us, and what just happens, and how christians often deal with that little debate, as well. And when that debate comes up, what's a common christian response? Something along the lines of, "God works in mysterious ways".

I don't think I said that you said "that". I simply asked a question.

And how is that any different then when someone questions me about something in Buddhism and acts as if I personally speak for Buddhism?

<snipped>.

OK, but you said:

Quote:
So does god give us "stuff" he knows we can't handle? That doesn't sound very loving.
As a response to my statement:

Quote:
God never said that, and it isn't true.
Which is a little more than "simply asking a question", because it is worded to make it appear that my statement implies what you said.

I go out of my way to choose my words to make my meaning clear, and I absolutely abhor it when people try to make it sound as if I said something other than I did in order to make some point that's in their head. You're not the first one I've called out on using my posts to do that, and I'm sure you won't be the last.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:56 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
ahh, being clear is over rated here. Its doesn't make a difference. This is about is godfaith and striking back at some religion dopes. clarity does nothing but get in the way of it. or like one of my fellow atheist like to say clarity only slows us down so don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality